Please Help...dead '92 MX-3 base

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
csm1992
antispam: No

Please Help...dead '92 MX-3 base

Post by csm1992 »

I am new here and am trying to help out a friend. She has a 1992 base MX3 that just died at hi-way speed. She said that it was like someone just turned off the ignition switch. The car sat for quite a while and the battery was dead by the time I got involved. I put a new battery in and get gauge lights but the starter will not turn. I don't get any codes off of it, but I surmise that any that were there are gone since the battery was 100% dead. Does the ECU control the starter circuit? I would appreciate any other ideas that you have as well.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Please Help...dead '92 MX-3 base

Post by Ryan »

Well man, start with the basics.

Fuses.

If it doesn't CRANK, make sure the battery terminals are clean and making good contact. clean the ground wires from the motor/trans to the chassis.

you say the starter doesn't turn at all? does the solenoid in the starter 'click'?

When you turn it to 'on', the Check engine light should come on, and go off a short while later. if it stays on, pull the codes (do you know how?)
When you have it on 'on' in diagnostic mode, IIRC, the fans should run too.

I had a PGT once that wouldn't crank because of a dead starter, but that doesn't explain why the car died at highway speed.

It sounds like a timing belt, aside from the fact that it doesn't crank. If it were just timing belt, it would have died like you described, but it would crank happily, well, with an odd pulse rhythm, I'd think.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
csm1992

Post by csm1992 »

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't had a chance to check the ground wires yet...hopefully I'll have time this evening. Fuses all checked out and the check engine light and other dash lights work as they should when the key is turned on. They all go out for a second when I turn the key to the start position which tells me that it isn't the ignition switch or the clutch switch. Also may indicate that power is going to the starter and it just isn't turning. I'll check for current at the starter when I check the ground wires and probably pull the starter and test it. I am pretty sure that the engine is not seized (front wheels turned while I pulled it gently with my tractor with gear engaged), but I will double check now that I have it up on jack stands. All signs seem to point to the starter being an issue, but it doesn't explain the engine cutting out at 55mph. As I write this, it seems most likely that a main ground wire or power supply wire gave out causing the fuel pump to quit and the starter not to work. Is this plausible?
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Could happen... I'm surprised it didn't sputter before dying... usually that's the pace of things. But if there was a faulty ground that sapped power from the battery, you better find and fix that sucker before it kills another pump.
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
mazdachad

Post by mazdachad »

i recently died on the highway. wasnt getting spark so tried different coil and ignitor still nothing. then i figured to check the timing belt and that was the issue. i think the ecu will pull spark in that situation. worth a shot.
94 green rs
92 black gs project bpt. daily driven bpt in a gs...lovin the boost
csm1992

Post by csm1992 »

Ok, got it fixed...turned out to be the ignition switch. New switch and she started right up....and then died a few days later....no fuel...gas tank was entirely filled with rust...new gas tank/fuel pump/filter and she is running pretty good. been driving it for about three weeks now.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”