Glowing rotor!!!!

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Fragz
antispam: No

Glowing rotor!!!!

Post by Fragz »

so today I was driving for about 10min.....then while at a light I noticed a smell....so I pulled over and walked around the car trying to source it.....and I look and my right rear brake rotor is glowing orange!!!!

I had no way to get home so I let it cool down for about 30min then drove home and didnt notice any glowing or smell.......but still this concerns me.....seized calliper perhaps??? the break pad looks fine with plenty of meat on it!

(does the e-brake on these apply to both rears or one or the other?)

solo_ryder

Re: Glowing rotor!!!!

Post by solo_ryder »

Seized caliper without a doubt. Take off the wheel and check the emergency brake lever on the caliper, I bet its stuck, hit it with a hammer to get it loose and then replace the caliper. You will see when you pull the ebrake that it will stick down while the other side moves back and forth.

If it aint the ebrake fork there, it will be the caliper itself. Not uncommon
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

That's crazy! I'd love to see what that looks like.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

happened to me, def a locking caliper or a stuck e brake. easy fix, replacing caliper or adj rear brake lever.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

My fronts were doing that, I replaced them both before selling the car. You can buy rebuild kits that contain the seal, boot and clip. As long as the piston isn't scratched or the cylinder isn't pitted it's easy to rebuild and save big money. Each caliper is like $220 here in Canada. Another option would be to pop the piston out using compressed air, clean the cylinder walls and reinstall the piston and hope the seal won't leak.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

you can actually pull out the main piston using needlenose pliers! there are two little dimples in it where it fits over bumps on the pad. Just grab in there, twist, and pull.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

when my rear caliper seized it completely locked one tire. i pulled forward and left a big trail of rubber on the street. had to tow it home. lucked out cuz i had to go to work in 30min and i just happened to drive a tow truck. hopefully you can find some nice ones at the wreckers. new calipers arnt cheap...
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I just did all my brakes, got the calipers for 80cad a pop brand new, ill find the manufacturer cause my buddies shop did it, maybe he good guy'd me but ill find out for sure. Mazda wanted almost 500
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”