Cyberdyne Temperature Gauge Install.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
jkbreazeale

Cyberdyne Temperature Gauge Install.

Post by jkbreazeale »

So, my temperature gauge has died. It really is my fault, I popped the needle off when I took my reverse glow gauges off and it never worked right since. I purchased a Digital Cyberdyne Temperature Gauge to install.

The instructions are pretty straight forward:
Red = Switchable 12v power source (when car is on, it is on, when car is off, it is off)
Black = Ground
White = Wire going to sensor.

I am trying to find the best wire for the switchable wire to go to. I think that the word "switch" has thrown me for a loop. Any suggestions? I plan on installing the gauge pretty much on the cluster in front of the existing temperature gauge for now until I get the rest of my digital set up.
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
jkbreazeale

Re: Cyberdyne Temperature Gauge Install.

Post by jkbreazeale »

Also... this is for my 93 SOHC. I have removed the original sensor to compare the size and threads to the new unit. Significantly smaller. The Cyberdyne one is 1/8" NPT. What would be the size of the original? Just trying to get some familiar help considering my other option is spending about an hour or so at Lowe's.
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

Post by SpatialTerror »

well it shouldnt matter which 12v power wire you hook it too. as long as it shuts off when you turn the key to acc and off.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Well, that's my thoughts on it, but for the life of me, I am having a brain fart or something and cant think of a wire that isn't going to be constantly on. I also ended up removing the wrong sensor. I removed the one off of the thermostat as opposed to the one on the intake manifold. From what I have read, the one on the thermostat gives the reading to the gauge, and the one on the intake manifold is the one that controls the air/fuel ratio. With that being said, can I still use the one that is on the thermostat?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

if you have a multi meter, all you need to do is check one of the red wires. Key in on is 12v/ off 0v. Not much too it. Just make sure to have your other meter lead to gnd.
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

Post by SpatialTerror »

no you want the wire on the thermostat.
just make sure you have the right one
cuz theres 2 sensors on it
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Those last two posts really helped out. I know it didn't seem that difficult to install but I like to make things more difficult than they really are sometimes.

To recap.

12v when on, 0v when off is what I am looking forward. As mentioned, naturally the ignition wire would work perfectly. I can use the sensor location on the thermostat for my digital gauge sender.

I know that there is alot of confusion because we have a coolant temp sensor on the manifold and a temp sensor(sender?) on the thermostat. I guess as long as the sender is in coolant, it will do it's job. Now, all I need to do is figure out what size thread is on the sensor/sender in the thermostat and get an adapter for my 1/8" NPT.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Isn't Cyberdyne the company that created SkyNet? Are you sure it's wise to install that into your car? :p
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

A self aware MX-3 would be 'The Return of Christine', key the AC/DC music..
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Isn't Cyberdyne the company that created SkyNet? Are you sure it's wise to install that into your car? :p
... you just had to go there didn't you... I hope you stump your toe!

Anyways, supposedly it's a pretty good gauge company that's been around for a while and just happened to have what I was looking for... except the brass npt fittings that I need to install the damn thing!
jkbreazeale

Re: Cyberdyne Temperature Gauge Install (Installed!!!).

Post by jkbreazeale »

I finally got the gauge installed. For reference to everybody... do NOT force a 3/8" adapter for 1/8 NPT sending unit into the hole for the stock coolant temperature gauge sender in the thermostat. It will crack the housing. Use a 1/4" and a good bit of threading tape with some sealant around it and it will work just fine.

To wire, I used the +B on the back of the speedometer housing for the hot wire. The ground wire can not be the ground on the back of the speedometer housing. For some reason it is not a good enough ground. Ended up drilling a hole through the firewall and used the grounding bolt on the transmission. The gauge looks and works awesome, I will post a picture tomorrow. Next install will be a Cyberdyne Digital Fuel Gauge.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”