Painting the Interior - How to

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
grimsby3
antispam: No

Painting the Interior - How to

Post by grimsby3 »

Just wondering if it's gonna be a hard task to take out the main dash as in around the guage cluster and down near the shifter and spraypaint them a different color, I'm taking it out of a 95 mx-3 GS, lookin to go with a red/black interior cause the car itself is black with a black window tint
'95 MX-3 Precidia V6 1.8L, Sony Stereo Deck, 12" MTX Sub w/500 Watt Amp KLZE Swap In the Future!!
Evo_Spec

Re: Painting the Interior - How to

Post by Evo_Spec »

no its very easy, the dash has screws that you loosen and friction fitments that hold it after and you just pull it out, if it doesn't pull out right away, just doublecheck for screws, its very simple.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You clean the plastic parts with paint thinner, which will ruin the stock black finish, but will prep them for paint. Then lightly sand them to make sure you get a slightly rough surface for the paint to adhere to. Then paint evenly and hang to dry. Getting the parts off is really the easy part. Painting them properly to be even and last a long time is the harder part.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

im in the process of painting mine right now. grab some krylon fusion paint, its made for plastic and supposedly doesnt chip. it covers very well and has some nice colors. sand your parts lightly with 600grit wet sandpaper to help the paint stick then wash them with warm soapy water. start and stop spraying beside the part so you dont get paint clumps. put on very light coats every 20-30min until you have nice coverage. let it dry for atleast 3 or 4 days then wetsand it smooth with 800grit wet paper. put on a few more coats if necessary, let dry another 3 or 4 days then another light sand to remove gloss and any impurities in the surface. then pick up some krylon acrylic crystal clear satin or gloss depending on the surface you want. put on 3 or 4 coats of that with 10min between coats and you should have a nice surface that should last the life of your car. the clear coat dries within 20 or 30min so you can put on your car almost immediately. i highly reccomend krylon fusion paint, i did alot of research before i started and this is supposed to be the best paint you can get for plastic.

dont put too much effort into getting the perfect spray technique, getting the surface smooth is all about sanding not about painting.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

there are too many topics out there on this subject. Search, and use a dye.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mikeinaus wrote:grab some krylon fusion paint, its made for plastic and supposedly doesnt chip.
I used that as a primer on mine, than used generic metallic car paint on top of your choice. Didn't peal or chip at all for the years I had it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

u get some armor all wipes and keep it black.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!

Return to “Appearance”