temp gauge help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jeff180
antispam: No

temp gauge help

Post by jeff180 »

the temp gauge in my 93 4cyl a/t hasnt worked for a long while. after overheating the car (after a faulty water pump install) i made it a priority to get it fixed. i bought a salvage gauge cluster from a 92 v6 gs m/t and switched the temp/fuel gauge. the fuel gauge seems to be fine, however the temp needle goes straight to the top when i turn the key on. i checked the resistance againt ground with the key off, cold and there was no reading. i ran the car for a while and the checked it with the key off and got a reading of approx 42 ohms. did i do the test correctly? i'm not sure what these readings tell me. is the GS gauge different thatn the 4cyl? i did notice the gauge cluster in my car has a speedo drive socket and the GS must be electronic - no socket. thanks
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: temp gauge help

Post by umcamara »

They're different. I've got a '96 RS, and after swapping in a '95 GS cluster, temp gauge and fuel gauge went straight to the top, and tach read waaaaaay too low. You need to get an RS temp gauge. Not sure if it needs to be from '92-'93 though...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

it needs to be from a 92-93. I had this problem and tried using a 94. Wouldn't work. Find a 92-93, swap your speedometer from your old cluster into the new one to keep your mileage and try it then. (Make sure the cluster you get has the cable connector in the back, the electronic style will not work on these year models.) Or... you can do what I am going to have to do and wire an after market one. I am working on a fully digital cluster.

Hope this helps,

Keith
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
jeff180

Post by jeff180 »

sorry about the delayed reply; i'm not recieving notifications. so, the 42 ohm reading on the temp sensor is correct?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

jeff180 wrote:sorry about the delayed reply; i'm not recieving notifications. so, the 42 ohm reading on the temp sensor is correct?
No idea. As we said, it's the wrong temp sensor for your engine.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jeff180

Post by jeff180 »

maybe i didnt make myself clear; i'm bad for that. the temp gauge came from a 1992 v6 m/t. i put the temp guage in my 1993 4cyl sohc a/t. the sensor in the engine is the correct one for the engine. i believe it's original to the 1.6 sohc. it reads 42 ohms when hot. is this correct?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

The problem is the temperature gauge. As we said in the previous posts, the V6 and 4 cyl temp gauges are not interchangeable. Check the online manual for the proper resistance reading of the sensor.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jeff180

Post by jeff180 »

ok, so i know i'm being a pain, but is the gauge different or is it the sensor that's different?
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

The gauge is different, as I said in my first reply to this thread.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jeff180

Post by jeff180 »

so the resistor in it is different?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”