AHHHH!! help with vertical LED wiring

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
xSocialx

AHHHH!! help with vertical LED wiring

Post by xSocialx »

Been searching for hours..... damn site is busted!

Anyway! I need someone to explain the wiring of the halo and LED'S from option racing.

NOT! The spyder headlights. The black vertical LED'S.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Miguelitto

Re: AHHHH!! help with vertical LED wiring

Post by Miguelitto »

What!?
What do you want?!
Conect then as turn signals?!
Never run faster than your angel can fly!........ My angel has NOS
My worklog || Brazil => http://www.mx3zone.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZoGeN

Post by ZoGeN »

http://www.garaget.org/mypage/gallery.p ... &cat=77556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.garaget.org/mypage/gallery.p ... age=586400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just connect it ;)
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Yes the turn signals. The halo's and led's aren't turning on with the harness plugged in.

I thought you had to splice into the harness or the turning signal. But if I splice into the turning signal, won't my led's and my halo's blink!?!?
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

And zogen thank you for the link to your gallery but its hard for me to understand the wiring you did because of the language. And it doesn't look like you connected your led's?
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

what do you want to blink and not blink? i think by design the vertical leds should blink, so you'd splice into your turn signals. the halos should be on all the time, so you splice into your sidemarkers. if you wanted the verticals to always been lit, obviously you'd splice those into the sidemarkers too. i just used those quicksplice connectors and did this in like 5 minutes :shrug:
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Ok yea I guess I could just splice it into the side marker?

I didn't mean to say the halo's its the angel eyes around the lights. But are they the black and white wires? And there is a red power wire with a relay attached? Do I just put that on the positive terminal?
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

nah there is no relay. that is just a fuse in a waterproof box. don't ask me why they put one there.. you should be able to see roughly which wires are going where and thus tell which are the LEDs and which ones are the halos. nothing connects directly to POS terminal. i'd advise against it unless you want halos that never ever shut off :lol:

btw when you say halo or angel eye, those are the same, so we are both talking about the same thing here.. but anyway i think splicing to the sidemarkers is the way to go. then even when your parking lights are on the halos are lit up too :idea:
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Ok so I'm going to splice them into the side markers. But there's what I thought was a relay coming from a red cord I'm assuming wires into the positive terminal.

And when I said angel eyes I meant the rings around the halo's. Thank you for correcting me so nicely to man.
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Ok so I tried to splice the black and white wire into the marker light. Black with black and white with the red and green stripe wire. So when I turn on the low beams they flash madddd quicjky and something behind my passenger side dash is clicking.....

WTF!!!!!!!!
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

ok first off the halos and vertical leds should have a power wire and a ground wire, you are gonna want to make sure which is which to start off. Usually the black wire is a ground wire and the white or red wire is the power wire. So take some spare wire and run a positive wire to the white and a black wire from the neg terminal and run that to the black wire to verify that is how its wired, you can also verify that its working the way it should. If it works for you then here is what you need to do. Get a test light and test the wires that run to the markers. See which is + and which is - wire the white wire if thats the + to the + marker wire using solder and shrink tube, not a f**king crimp on butt connector or once of those crap wire destroying scotch locks. Go to an automotive store and get some shrink tube a small butane torch and some automotive solder and do it right. You will thank me in time for that its money well spent. Do the same for the negative wire - to the black - wire. I looked up the wiring for the manual and according to the manual the red/green wire should be the + wire and the black the - wire. So it sounds liked you wired it right so take the jumper wires I mentioned and double check the lights verify that they are working correctly first off. That clicking is probably your headlight relay clicking. Just out of curioisty how did you wire in the red and black wires for the halos or led stripes pictured on the option racing website.

Soldering 101 to do it right;

Strip off about 1 inch of casing from each wire you are soldering together, cross them at the midpoint so they form an X, twist them around eachother so that its nice and tight with no sharp wires sticking up, heat it in the midpoint with the butane torch for a few seconds then hit it with the solder and allow it to flow into the wire for a second or 2. Allow a few seconds to cool off then cover with the shrink tube and heat it with the torch moving the flame back and forth over the shrink tube so you do not burn it. If you are joining mutliple wires then just pair 2 together then make the X and twist them together, just make sure that the shrink tube is big enough to cover the joint. Now some people are gonna get mad at me for using a butane torch in this method instead of a soldering iron and a heat gun and yes you can use that to do this but if your careful enough the torch works just as effectively.
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Ok thank you for that detailed description! It helped me a lot.

I'm still stuck on the red wire black wire. The two are running into the harness. But I plugged in the two red power cords with the fuse in the line to the pos terminal and the halos came on. So now its just the rings and the led's.

I live in st catharines and if anyone from the gta knows we have A LOT of snow, and seen as how my broke a** doesn't have a garage its far to cold for wiring. So I have to wait a wee bit. :(

I just have to sit and learn. Fine by me!
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

learning is the first step to becoming a good knowledgable car owner, I am always around to help out with wiring and other issues, feel free to contact me anytime and I promise I will be patient with ya lol.
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Haha! Don't worry man I've been on here enough to not be yiur typical "noob".

But there's a lot I don't know. I just want the weather to clear up.
petiec

Post by petiec »

l have the same lights that you have,got them way back when they first came out on Ebay,Man what ever you do dont hook up that stupid red wire with that black box,l personally think its a relay.Just because l had nothing but problems blowing my light bulbs,every four to six weeks and it blows done that for about the forth time and was about to put the stock ones back on to expensive replacing that many times then thank god Colinsmx l think thats what he was called,mentioned about that dawm wire with that relay witch he thinks it is to.He got the same ones and said just leave it unhooked,its been like five months or more dont have a problem.Hope this helps you good luck!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”