The Ultimate MX-3

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Milli
antispam: No

The Ultimate MX-3

Post by Milli »

OK, so my money has come together. My mx3 is falling apart. It seems that it needs a new starter and thermostat and gaskets. Sooo I decided time for a swap. I'm looking to do the full package. I been researching online and I can get a bpt w\ tranny, all the wiring, starter, all the sensors and a couple other things for $1100. Now the question is what else should I put into this mx3 to make it dependable and speed emon. I was thinking in terms of exhaust system (pref. Dual exhaust), intercooler, cold air intake, and anything else. I know I'm missing a lot but you guys know what I'm talking about. So I would like your input on this. If you guys can create your own shopping lists of performance parts for the swap i'd love to see it. If you can help me create my shopping list i'd be very thankful. I'm looking to keep the internals stock for now but create the most horse power that the engine can sustain without damage. Also ima need to chanhe the suspension so what would be a good kit? Thanks a lot guys.
JWMX3

Re: The Ultimate MX-3

Post by JWMX3 »

check out the worklog section... lots of nice 4 bangers in there , youll get lots of ideas on engine swaps, turbos, suspension setups by looking thru that section and the parts needed to make it happen

GL
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm a V6 guy, so I don't know much about the BP-T, but you've got the right idea. Depending on what your goals are, you could spend as much as you want. If you disclose how much you can spend, what exactly is wrong with your car, and what your goals are, we can give you LOTS of ideas.
I love my H&R springs with Gabriel struts. It's a great combination. I also recommend Nylatron A arm bushings, solid motor mounts, and Polyeurethane suspension bushings.
Check out alot of BP-T swap worklogs for ideas.
Good luck, and make a worklog! :D
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

All I have to say is, you can't run a useful dual exhaust running turbo. You'd only be hurting yourself. Just run single 3".
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

+1 on the worklogs
I've got a parts list with prices on page one of my log (B6 + turbo). Ryan is correct, duals are lame on a 4 banger.
Milli

Post by Milli »

Well here are my car problems right now:

*Starter is going out
*I need to replace a gasket which means i should probably get a new timing belt, which means i should do a water pump as well lol
*Its starting to heat up while im standing still but the guage doesnt seem to fully get to the H. I know my coolant is topped off. Im guessing thermostat.
*Need a wheel bearing
*Back suspension needs to be replaced

Thats all i can really think about. So i found a full swap (BP-t) that includes: $1200

*20-30,000 miles
*Complete Motor
*Complete Head and Block
* Intake Manifold
*Distributor
*Injectors
*Fuel Rail
*Power Steering Pump
*Throttle Body
*Exhaust Manifold
*Alternator
*Turbo
*Starter
*5 Speed Transmission (I know everyone recommends the Kia sophia tranny, but i'm assuming this tranny is can hold up just fine since it was made for this engine. Please correct me if im wrong)

Seems like i would still need to find an ECU, wiring harness, and all the sensors, right? Is there anything else im missing? Please let me know if so.

Also i know i have read it a bunch of times on here, but what do you suggest also be replaced at the time of this swap?

I wanted to go with the dual because possibly down the road i would like to add a body kit and i def. dont wanna have a hole in the bumper empty because there is no exhaust there. Why would the dual not be a good idea for the car?

I'm researching through worklogs right now but im racing against time. I basically have until my starter decides to die on me, which i think may be very soon lol.

So my plans for my mx3 are:
*BP-T swap (Possibly some simple goodies such as intercooler and cold air intake)
*Wheel bearing
*Drivers side window motor or window switch (not sure which is not working)
*Exhaust
*Suspension
*Brakes ( i would like to convert it to ABS, is this even possible?)
*Would like to replace every bit of weather stripping (It's just really old and seems to let a lil water in. Has anyone ever done this on here? Expensive?)
*Remove all dings in the body
*Some of the interior is loose so i would like to get that all tightened. (Would a body shop or dealership do this? Parts like the middle console and a plastic panel in the back is loose. I can probably do it myself but id like it to be as perfect as possible)
*Need a new fuse box cover.
*Need a new cargo hatch cover ( if thats what they are called?)

Then eventually:
*Tint
*Body Kit
*Racing seats
*New rims and tires
*New paint job
*HID headlights
*Tailights
*shave door handles
*shave antenna
*Sound system

This is going to be ridiculously expensive but thats the cost of having an MX-3 :) . I know it will be an amazing car once done. The car is only at 106,000 miles so it will be nice with low mileage. Any help and/or suggestions are really appreciated. If you know where i can find any of these parts please let me know.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Milli wrote:*Its starting to heat up while im standing still but the guage doesnt seem to fully get to the H. I know my coolant is topped off. Im guessing thermostat.
That's good, otherwise you would be overheating.
Milli wrote:I wanted to go with the dual because possibly down the road i would like to add a body kit and i def. dont wanna have a hole in the bumper empty because there is no exhaust there. Why would the dual not be a good idea for the car?
NO!
Just no.
Milli wrote:BP-T swap (Possibly some simple goodies such as intercooler and cold air intake)
Possibly? There is NO choice. Your plans should be 5-10grand. I think you still have lots of reading to do. Sorry to say, but from your posts, you don't seem to know enough about forced induction.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Starter interchanges between F and G series transmissions, if yo upick up a $20 scrap yard replacement, it will be no big deal when the swap comes around.

Check to make sure the rad fan is coming on. It could be the switch for that as well. Another cheap sensor.

wheel bearings require a press.

Finding the GTX ECM and harness isn't so easy. I'd try http://www.clubprotege.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Dual exhaust is a terrible idea, especially on an I4 turbo vehicle. First off, you are forced to combine all the runners into a single outlet, for the turbo. Splitting it after that only causes more harm than good. 3" is more than enough flow, and two pipes would only cause doubled cooling, triple cost, reducing exhaust speed, and so forth.

It is also an EXCELLENT idea to upgrade, or at least replace the brake system when boosting the motor. Its a terrible thing if you can accelerate faster than deccelerate. And, ABS is for old people. There is no reason you want this system. The conversion is hard, too.

The window switch probably feels limp. The motor probably doesn't even try and move. It is most likely your window switch. A few guys have some up for sale, but they all go for around $50.

The weather stripping is freakishly expensive. There was a good link to it on a thread a few months back, but all the peices were 3 figures.

Unless you have a money tree, start learning some things yourself. There are very few things you can't do by yourself. for your project, I'd put the price tag at 5-10k on parts....

Milli wrote:Well here are my car problems right now:

Thats all i can really think about. So i found a full swap (BP-t) that includes: $1200

*20-30,000 miles
*Complete Motor
*Complete Head and Block
* Intake Manifold
*Distributor
*Injectors
*Fuel Rail
*Power Steering Pump
*Throttle Body
*Exhaust Manifold
*Alternator
*Turbo
*Starter
*5 Speed Transmission (I know everyone recommends the Kia sophia tranny, but i'm assuming this tranny is can hold up just fine since it was made for this engine. Please correct me if im wrong)

I'm researching through worklogs right now but im racing against time. I basically have until my starter decides to die on me, which i think may be very soon lol.

So my plans for my mx3 are:
*BP-T swap (Possibly some simple goodies such as intercooler and cold air intake)
*Wheel bearing
*Drivers side window motor or window switch (not sure which is not working)
*Exhaust
*Suspension
*Brakes ( i would like to convert it to ABS, is this even possible?)
*Would like to replace every bit of weather stripping (It's just really old and seems to let a lil water in. Has anyone ever done this on here? Expensive?)
*Remove all dings in the body
*Some of the interior is loose so i would like to get that all tightened. (Would a body shop or dealership do this? Parts like the middle console and a plastic panel in the back is loose. I can probably do it myself but id like it to be as perfect as possible)
*Need a new fuse box cover.
*Need a new cargo hatch cover ( if thats what they are called?)

Then eventually:
*Tint
*Body Kit
*Racing seats
*New rims and tires
*New paint job
*HID headlights
*Tailights
*shave door handles
*shave antenna
*Sound system

This is going to be ridiculously expensive but thats the cost of having an MX-3 :) . I know it will be an amazing car once done. The car is only at 106,000 miles so it will be nice with low mileage. Any help and/or suggestions are really appreciated. If you know where i can find any of these parts please let me know.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Milli

Post by Milli »

So i decided to scrap the whole bodykit idea...Atleast for now???
I'm thinking about just lowering it and giving it a fresh coat of paint.

So i went online searching for a lowering sprint set. Anyone have any suggestions on how much i should drop it?

*One kit would allow a -1.6/-1.6 (Front/back)
*One kit would allow for a -1.5/-1.2 (I dont understand why you would want to drop the front end of the mx3 more than the rear since it already seems like the front bumper is lower? Am i wrong?)
*Then i came across one that drops -2/-2.5 (This one seems the best to me since I believe the back bumper seems a little higher than the rear, then again, is -2.5 too much for of a drop since the car is already low?)

So do you guys agree that the back is a little higher or am i wrong? Also how much of a drop do you recommend? What brand of parts do you guys believe would be best?

Now while reading on here i saw that along with the lowering springs, others have replaced both front and back strut tower braces (polished aluminum) and added a rear lower tie bar. When i took my car to the mechanic they advised me that my suspension is going to need work very soon. What else would you recommend be replaced as well suspension wise?

Now as for the exhaust. I thought i'd knock out all the performance work i possibly can before spending all the money for the swap. But then again, IDK if i should/could change the exhaust before the swap. Do you guys recommend to complete the swap first? (only reason i thought about the exhaust first was because of my budget) Also what kind of exhaust should i go for? I know people are suggesting a 3'. What brand would be best? Would anything be better than the 3'? Is there anything i can add/replace along with the exhaust to better the exhaust?

This mx-3 should be coming around pretty soon. Thanks for any help
Milli

Post by Milli »

someone please give me some advice. Bump bump.
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

hey yeah i'd say chuck the bodykit idea out the window right now. i know from experience. i did a bodykit first and then went performance and now i have a nice looking car that runs like poo.
but yeah i'd def go with performance right now.
not sure on how much to lower it...my body kit sits real low as it is.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

sorry, but no one can hold your hand through this. Your ambition and skill level are conflicting. There is just way too much you still need to know. If this is your DD, I'd say get your car running, do the suspension and maybe next year this will be within reach.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/search.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”