Knife edged manifold and hourglassed tb

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Knife edged manifold and hourglassed tb

Post by hgallegos915 »

Hmmm I havent seen any of you post that on our list of mods.. any reasons for that? I recenty knife edged by intake manifold and the butt dyno tells me its a little faster. I have yet to hourglass the throttle body. I will in a few weeks.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
vansolrick

Re: Knife edged manifold and hourglassed tb

Post by vansolrick »

My buddy and I are doing the exact same things to the KLZE that im getting from him. You're not alone. I'm not sure who has or hasn't on the forums.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Yea I did this when the heads were off and valves were out doing my ZE swap- hourglass TB, knife edged intake on inlet manifold, knife edged each intake port, removed casting defects on all ports, cleaned the valves bowls up a bit and light port and polish of the exhaust ports. I'd imagine a turbo helps amplify the improvement, I'd nothing to compare to so can't really comment on before and after. You must have a fairly sensitive butt though :P
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'll have to go and see if I forgot to mention it.. My worklog is so much info, that something like that could easily get lost or forgotten. HOwever, mine is the same as Marcdh's. My TB was bored a bit, and then coned so the outer rim is "knife edged", so it tapers from a 3" opening to the over-sized butterfly (which is hourglassed), and the entire intake was carefully shaped so that there's no turbulence. I even knife edged the butterfly :shrug: . I get REALLY O.C.D. about engine building. I also portmatch everything so smooth, a blind guy wouldn't feel where parts meet. I taped my pheno spacers in place, because I noticed that they move up to 1mm by the time you tighten the IM down.
The exhaust is also done this way (carefully matched). It's part of the Voodoo that makes my DE/ ZE strong. My theory is that for every mod that nets only 1-2 HP, the sum is greater than the parts.. Say you get specific like me, and you do 10 mods that are worth 1HP each, together they net 14 HP, because they work together, and with the rest of the configuration. At the same time, the more power you're making, the more these things will net. For instance, if I bore the TB, and hourglass the butterfly on my K8 my butt dyno wouldn't even try to fool me into thinking I gained anything.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
darwin
antispam: No

Post by darwin »

The edge of my knife was so sharp. How do you maintain the sharpness of your knife? Just asking.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”