Whats with the mx6 transmisison and power to both wheels?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
hgallegos915

Whats with the mx6 transmisison and power to both wheels?

Post by hgallegos915 »

Interesting obervation... my friend has an mx3 which I have helped him with. We installed a mx6 transmission, on it. I was there for the install.. When he burns out... BOTH tires spin... On my car with the gs transmission, Both spin but the driver side has more power. On his, both tires spin... what gives? I know it does not have an lsd because we opened it to make sure everything was in place. He told me that mx6 trannys are a bit different.. can anyone confirm this? we tried another mx3 that has a gs transmission and same.. driver side burns out and passenger doesnt.

If you guys can confirm that i gives power to both wheels... thats my next mod..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Whats with the mx6 transmisison and power to both wheels?

Post by Ryan »

an open diff is an open diff :|

Curious.

ask your buddy what makes it "a bit different"
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Yeah im going to ask him. I know it does not have an lsd as I saw the diferential with my own eyes.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

MX6 and 626 have different gearing IIRC, more highway friendly but that's about it.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:MX6 and 626 have different gearing IIRC, more highway friendly but that's about it.
And when compared to a '93 or earlier mx3 (IIRC), the mx6 also has a synchronized reverse gear.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

I have a 626 tranny (same as mx-6) and I cannot burn both tires... :confused2:
short4stuff

Post by short4stuff »

His car probably has the weight distributed better..

He's heavier than you? ..
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I've thought about lowering the pressure of the tire that spins when at the drags, and see if I could get them both to spin. he could just have bad traction... bad/ overinflated tires, etc..
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

They are the same diffs and either car could spin both wheels. The only reason the diff transfers to one wheel is that the other has more traction for some reason (weight, tire pressure etc). Real answer is if you want both wheel burn-outs every time get a LSD. Otherwise it is really kind of a chance unless you want to mess with corner weights, tire pressures and other things to get both wheels to spin more consistantly, but you cannot get a 100% both wheels on an open diff.
There is nothing in any trans that gives both wheels traction without a LSD of some sort.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

fowljesse wrote:I've thought about lowering the pressure of the tire that spins when at the drags, and see if I could get them both to spin. he could just have bad traction... bad/ overinflated tires, etc..
I've read an article about this recently, they tested out the differences in power and times comparing 35psi and 20psi. The thing is with the upgraded traction (more of the tire gripping the road) you have increased rolling resistance. They found a 7whp loss on the dyno at 20psi. 1/8 times were faster with 20psi but slower at 1/4 where the extra power and less rolling resistance comes into play.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
fowljesse wrote:I've thought about lowering the pressure of the tire that spins when at the drags, and see if I could get them both to spin. he could just have bad traction... bad/ overinflated tires, etc..
I've read an article about this recently, they tested out the differences in power and times comparing 35psi and 20psi. The thing is with the upgraded traction (more of the tire gripping the road) you have increased rolling resistance. They found a 7whp loss on the dyno at 20psi. 1/8 times were faster with 20psi but slower at 1/4 where the extra power and less rolling resistance comes into play.
Thanks for posting that. I've wondered about it. I just need to learn how to launch :oops:
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “Transmissions”