Im looking into getting an MX3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
torkair
antispam: No

Im looking into getting an MX3

Post by torkair »

Im looking at getting an MX3 to replace my honda prelude (it still goes, i just dont like driving it). Ive never owned a Mazda before but ive heard that alot of stuff will swap from a couple Fords so they cant be all that bad. Mostly looking for a good daily commuter that can roast tires whenever i feel a little squirrley. I was also wondering what I should look for when i go and check out one of these cars, like typical rust spots, electrical issues, ect. Thanks in advance!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Im looking into getting an MX3

Post by Ryan »

If you're into wheel spinny, you're looking at turbo on a swapped 4 or 6, or the N/A JDM v6. 200 is a good mark, I've seen 400 on the usual motors.

Since you seem to know enough about cars, I suggest only getting a car with a mint body. wheel arches, rockers, frame, everything in general.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Avoid the automatics because the ATX was built by Ford and it will not last
Other than that, these cars dont rust as fast as Honda CRXs.

Besides your wear and tear (ball joints, water pump, belts, brakes, engine mounts, etc) expect to do a HEI mod to it because the stock coil pack in the distributor (V6 model) usually goes bad.

The KLZE swaps for the V6s are cheap. (190hp/160ft trq)
The BP and BP-Turbo swaps for the I4s are cheap (BPT 190hp/160ft trq).
By cheap I mean, $700-$1100 compared to B16s that go for $1500.

If your looking into modding one, thats some nice info to know

Other than that, you should be able to get a MX3 for really cheap. But they are hard to find. Both the I4 and V6 kick a--. Especially the V6 (exhaust note).
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
torkair
antispam: No

Post by torkair »

looks like there are only I4 cars in my area but thats not really a bad thing, I figure i could find a bp-t motor and swap it in in place of the origional motor and have the ECU reprogramed on a chassi dyno. Theres also the possibility of grabbing a v6 out of a probe and dropping that in but from what ive read so far that will take ALOT more work to do than its probably worth. Just trying to get as much info as i possibly can beefore i dive head first into another car. Also is there an aftermarket front bumper for the mx3 thats somewhat similar to that of an rx8? To me the front of an mx3 is a tad bit on the bland side compared to the rest of the car.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Most people are fans of the Mazdaspeed front bumper.

No need to get the ECM reprogrammed, just get the correct ECM, or go standalone....

KLDE (probe motor) drops straight into the V6 MX3. I4 -> v6 swap has been done, but its honestly easier to start with a v6 mx-3 as baisically everything in the engine bay is different.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Ryan wrote:Most people are fans of the Mazdaspeed front bumper.

No need to get the ECM reprogrammed, just get the correct ECM, or go standalone....

KLDE (probe motor) drops straight into the V6 MX3. I4 -> v6 swap has been done, but its honestly easier to start with a v6 mx-3 as baisically everything in the engine bay is different.
Yea you'll pretty much need a v6 donor car, so it's only advised if you have a perfect I4 car that you want to swap it into.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”