My brakes caught FIRE!! HELP please!! PICS ADDED!

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
colinsmx3

My brakes caught FIRE!! HELP please!! PICS ADDED!

Post by colinsmx3 »

OK So get this....
I buy the EBC Green pads that are good up to around 500c.... I swap out my old OEM pads for the green stuff on Monday... Then I drive around with no problem... Park the car for the night drive to work no problems, go out get lunch come back to work no problems, drive home.... I made it about 20 min into the drive when all the sudden I started smelling burning brakes... I thought "ohh maybe it's just the break in crap comming off.... I then stopped at a stop light.... and WOOOOSSSSSHHHHHH a HUGE cloud of brake smoke comes over the car and my right rear caliper is ablaze... on fire.... I made a left and pulled over and couldnt even touch the RIM it was so hot... glowing rotor.... And the paint on my caliper is all bubling and the pad is melted on the edges.... So I let it sit for a few and limped it home (I was only about 3 khms away) I got home PISSED OFF, jacked the car up and could still turn the wheel as if nothing happend. So I said OK I will put the OEM pad on and make sure the caliper is not stuck. I could twist it in and out with no problem!! Ebrake was not stuck at all, engages and dissengages fine.

I drive to work today.... SAME THING caliper is smoking by the time I get to work!! I never used the ebrake at all, I could even stick a screw driver and move the pads on the shims so I knew they wernt stuck!!

ANYBODY know what the hell could have got bad with a simple brake job???
I should just let it burn to the ground and got the insurance money!

ALL other pads are fine and not hot... I then had to bring out the 323 winter car a month early today so I can get home!

Top pad was the outer pad which obveously caught fire....
Bubbly!!

Musta been pretty hot since there rated to 500c....
Last edited by colinsmx3 on September 24th, 2009, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
rece

Re: My brakes caught FIRE!! HELP please!!

Post by rece »

sounds like you have a caliper that is stuck or seized. the new pads were larger than the old and were in continuous contact with the rotor. I had this happen once and not so much a fire, but the rim and rotor were blazing hot and red.

pretty sure you should replace the rotor anyways as that type of heat is not going to be good for it.
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Sounds like stuck caliper. When is the last time you serviced them? Rotor is shot now, pads probably are too. (glazing).

I'd replace the caliper (you can attempt a rebuild, but I don't know if that much heat weakened the metal) and do a full brake bleed.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

OK..... So how can the caliper be seized when you can still turn it in with no resistance and turn it out on the piston with no resistance??? And the new pads were NOT larger as they were the same size as the OEM ones that I removed since I just needed fronts but did all 4.
ImageImageImage
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

It's not just the piston that can get stuck, but the bolts that hold the caliper together/to the hub assembly. If they are corroded, or the grease has dried out, it could prevent the caliper from disengaging properly. It's either that, or something is horribly wrong with your proportioning valve or something...which I don't think is the case.

Maybe try jacking up the car and having someone push down the pedal while you watch the brake assembly (with it attached)
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Well the odd thing is the slider bolt had an ample amount of grease on it and tame apart just fine with no rust and the caliper pivoted just fine... I am taking it to a buddy place who is a Mechanic and he's gonna try and figure it out. :crying:
ImageImageImage
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I'm sorry to hear that colin, you should almost start a "Weirdest Think To Happen To Your Car" thread.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah definately a weird scenario... the closest thing that happened to me like this was in the middle of winter, some condesation got into my e-brake cable and froze. When I released the e-brake, the left rear side did not release and I drove on it for a few miles when I noticed it felt like something was dragging. I banged on the cable and caliper with a hammer and it finally released.

If the wheel spins freely that definately is weird since it seems the sliders would prevent that... hope you get it figured out and let us know what the conclusion is!
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Did you check your brake fluid after? Maybe the caliper is leaking...
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Leaking brake fluid would mean no pressure, not higher pressue.

This is odd.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Something is rubbing somewhere...it has to be to create that kind of heat. The floating pins may be siezed so the caliper is not flating back after an application and just rubbing slightly. If it was rubbing hard you would feel it when driving. So it's just dragging enough to generate a bunch of heat.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

hmm that heat build up has happened to me twice. Once was a wheel bearing the second was stuck piston in the caliper. Strangely on both occasions the wheel felt normal enough to rotate when jacked.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I'd put car on jack stand and take wheel off and turn it on and see where it's binding.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

was the body damaged at all? was this the show car?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Ya it's the show car, I don't see the body being damaged by smoke. I sure hope not at least. I agree with mitmaks, get er up in the air.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”