Car overheated and now won't start

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Demonic1

Car overheated and now won't start

Post by Demonic1 »

So the other day I went out for a late night drive. I stopped at a grocery store and noticed that my temp. gauge was at the "H" line. I killed the engine and went inside. After about 30 minutes in the store I came back out and opened the radiator. It was pretty empty, but it only took <64 oz to fill back up. I figured I'd deal with it in the morning. On my way home I stopped at a friends place and hung out there. Not thinking I offered a friend a ride home as I was about to leave. I drop him off at his place and start back towards my home. On the way up a steep grade hill my engine started losing power, as I got to the top the engine died and the car started smoking. Pulled off the road and called a tow truck.
It tried to turn over for me this morning, but its just not really catching. It sounds like the battery is dead or dying. I've filled the radiator, and found a leak on the front side of the engine behind the exhaust headers. I'm assuming it's going to need a new gasket back there, or at least a good application of quicksteel.

Anyone have any ideas of how bad this is going to get?
I'm sure the engine could be seized.
The temp gauge still reads over the HOT.
If the temp gauge reads over HOT will it stop the car from starting?
I'm going to see if I can get the temp gauge tomorrow (if I can find a ride).

It's a 92 SOHC 1.6
mzdamx3rsdohc

Re: Car overheated and now won't start

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

well a leak on the pass. side front of the motor would indicate a waterpump most likely... but since you continued to drive you could have a blown head gasket now, or warped head, lost compression, etc. first thing is charge the battery so at least you have enough voltage... if it still doesnt start but turns over look for spark and fuel. if its getting both then id do a leakdown and comepression test to test the internals
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

Well I hooked it up to my mercury to see if it would turn over, and it tries to. It's cranking, but it doesn't sound like it's catching. I'm gonna test spark and fuel tomorrow. The air should be fine. I'll pull a plug and see if any of the cylinders are stuck.
I looked over the chilton, and it doesn't look like too much of a job to get down to the headgasket, but I'll have another look once over in the morning.

I called a couple of local shops to see if any of them had the SOHC b6 (for less issues) but all they have is the b3.
Are there major issues swapping to the B6DE? Which I think is the DOHC? I think the 95+96 had digital speedo, and the 94 was mechanical. I'm just thinking the added power might be nice.
Wings on an MX3? What are you thinking?

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
(Previously owned by 2Fazed and then mrMazda92)
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

since you have the sohc, the easiest swap is the BP 1.8.
Much easier than the B6 DOHC, more common, cheaper, and more power.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

Alright, so in a bought of epic timing perfection...

I found the BP engine out of a protoge LX for $200 w/ 60-70k

I can't seem to find a link to the SOHC - BP swap.
(don't bother with anything below if it's answered in the swap page... pointless)
I have a new clutch sitting on my freezer that I was planning on replacing soon, this should work right?
The stock drive shafts will work on this after the swap? I just replaced them 10k ago...
Will I need to pick up another ECU (the new engine doesn't have one)

I'll probably start a new thread after I get the motor just so I can keep a worklog going.

*edit*
Found out the engine is missing the heat shield (I can use the SOHCs?) and no ECU. The ECU is like 4 miles away in my local junk yard, waiting for me. And I found a couple worklogs that have most of the information I need, though I've seen several conflicting pieces of information.
I go to pick up the BP this weekend, hope it's as nice as the pics show.
*pics below*

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

So today I got the final nail in my coffin for the B6. My dad and I went out to check it out, filled the radiator, charged the battery, hooked up jumpers and tried turning it over. My dad was looking at the leak on the frontside of the engine (without heat shield) and it blew the headgasket all over him. Along with half of the radiator and some fuel.

So i asked him if it'd be easier to do the engine swap or replace the headgasket... He told me to replace the headgasket ... then after looking over the engine (and me mentioning the need for a new clutch) he told me to go ahead and OK the new engine.

BP swap here I come !!

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

excellent.

If you have any Q's feel free to PM me. I also have a BP09 ECM for sale, the one you need. i was thinking $30 plus shipping. May be cheaper than whatever that yard may charge you.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Demonic1

Post by Demonic1 »

So that guy with the pulled motor fell through (just stopped answering emails) and I got tired of waiting.
I went out and bought a 92 Protege LX which was beat to s--- and had a blown auto tranny. But I have the Manual F series in my 92. The engine seems to be in good condition though it's not the 92 BP DOHC... it's a 90 BP DOHC with junkyard markings on it. I don't care, I bought it for 300 and got it home tonight. As long as it lasts 5-6 months I consider it getting my moneys worth. I just need a car soon. I've been stuck at home (the middle of nowhere) for almost 4 weeks straight now.

So I got an engine and an ECU all in one. I'm off to search the forums now.
Figure with me and my freshly laid off dad I may be done with it in a week or so.

92 RS BP05
93 GS KLZE

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”