KL01 Cams and K8 for fun

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
vansolrick

KL01 Cams and K8 for fun

Post by vansolrick »

First of all I want to make a point that this is something that I've considered doing for fun and trial. I will be getting a KLZE from my buddy's parting-out MX-6 that has machined cams to swap with my K8 in the near future.

We have a parts motor that is a KLZE/KL hybrid (lower half KLZE with ZE pistons, and KLDE head with KL01 cams. I was thinking, for fun, if it would be possible to put the cams in my K8 whenever we do the timing, and what would be needed to have it work. All of the swappable pars are free of charge for me, so money-to-performance is not an issue at all.
RX8SE3P

Re: KL01 Cams and K8 for fun

Post by RX8SE3P »

I don't know if KL01 cams will even fit on the K8 heads properly. You can be the test subject and let us know :p

Btw weird choice with the hybrid. I'd prefer a DE bottom end with ZE heads and cams. ZE bottom end and DE heads+cams would be more like a DE, maybe +5-10HP
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

Alright man it's official. Sometime within the next week or two I'll try to make time and room in our garage to do my timing. While doing that, we will see if we can get the cams set in my K8 head :lol: and I'm being serious.
Last edited by vansolrick on August 21st, 2009, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

take out that throttle restricter plate behind your TB while your at it.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

I have a request.

before you pull the cam's out of the KLZE/DE could you note the timing for
.050 and also intake and exhaust opening and closing BDTC ATDC and all that jazz.

I know a number of sites list figures how ever they are not matching mine?

The camshafts will exchange however I do not know piston to valve clearances will be..
Kind Regards Matt.
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

kiwimx3 wrote:I have a request.

before you pull the cam's out of the KLZE/DE could you note the timing for
.050 and also intake and exhaust opening and closing BDTC ATDC and all that jazz.

I know a number of sites list figures how ever they are not matching mine?

The camshafts will exchange however I do not know piston to valve clearances will be..
Kind Regards Matt.
I'll remember to post this when I get the chance. Turns out that this project is going to be held back a little longer as I'm loosing hours at work and it will be some time until I get some new gaskets, a timing belt, and other things and jazz before I do the timing and cam swap. I'll post again when I'm ready to start!

Also I wanted to note that I did remove the TB restricter spacer between the TB and IM a while back and installed a larger TB (not sure what size) from a MX6. I have a feeling that removing the restricter and having the larger diameter TB inlet are causing a lack of air velocity into the IM due to my smaller 1.8L V6 requiring less air than the larger MX6 2.5L. Having a larger inlet when the engine is only sucking a small amount of air, compared to a 2.5L, causes the flow of the air to flow slower causing a loss in lower RPM power (in theory). Anyway, if this is so, then it would explain why my car got boggier when I did the swap. Then again I could be wrong. But, this is why I got turned on to the idea of swapping larger KL01 cams into my K8 :freak:
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

weird more air is usually always better
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

projectzemx3 wrote:weird more air is usually always better
That's what I thought when I swapped the TB. I'm going to put the spacer back in to see if I gain any power back. I ported it a little bit so that putting it back on won't defeat the purpose of having a larger TB. I'll probably do that tomorrow and post how it goes.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

That spacer helps redirect air around the closed butterfly valve at idle, so you will most likely be having idle/rpm issues. Besides the spacer is the same size as the K8 TB opening anyway.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

K8 cams fit on a ZE heads
No reason why DE/ZE cams wont fit K8 heads
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

I see what you mean with the butterfly valve. It makes a lot of sense now. I put the spacer back in but I did a crap job with the gasket (had to make my own). I'm going to do my smog test this week, then when I have time I'll remove it again and reapply it correctly. I also need to make sure my TPS is set correctly as we just put it on and didn't adjust it.

My timing belt should be coming in soon and I have my cover gaskets, so I'm getting prepared to do the timing and cam swap. Wish it wouldn't take so long to get the darn gaskets.

My friend said that the K8 valves are too small to notice a gain from swapping the cams but I'm still curious to see how it goes. Besides, I'll be getting ZE in the near future anyway.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Did you do the KL31 cam swap?
Let us know how it goes
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
vansolrick

Post by vansolrick »

I was going to get started tomorrow, but turns out I need a water pump and I need new seals and I'm a little short on money for the week so I'm afraid I'm going to have to push the swap back one more week. Trust me I'm as excited as you guys to see how this goes down. I'll post up details and maybe some pictures when I get started next sunday or monday!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”