KLZE OBD2 Swap Help - UK

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ChrisNW

KLZE OBD2 Swap Help - UK

Post by ChrisNW »

Really need help badly here.

I have an OBD2 MX3 with a KLZE in it that won't start, panic is setting in...

We've got a 96 mx3 and sunk a 2.5l ze in, and it turns over without starting, spluttering badly, but won't run. It's not firing on all cylinders. Extremely poor + undriveable on the K8 air sensor, but it will turn over. We originally tried running it on the KL02 vaf as suggested, but had no luck at all, wouldn't even turn over. Is it possible to test the kl-02 with a multimeter?

We have an afpr ready to go, but not currently fitted.

We'd like to know what we could have missed during the swap, the mechanic has done several OBD1 swaps before, but this is the first OBD2 swap he's done.

On another note we can't find the OBD2 connector port in the usual places either. I have the scantool adaptor, but the port is missing?!

Help much appreciated.
marcdh

Re: KLZE OBD2 Swap Help - UK

Post by marcdh »

Do you have spark?
Do you have fuel?
Is your idle screw open enough?

Make sure you use the disty that was from your k8. Check ht lead order. Check your fuel lines are the right way around. Check sensors like the vr sensor at the crank, the knock sensor in the head valley etc
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Double check the distributor connections; I remember hearing something about a different firing order on some engines/distributors, but I'm not sure if it was true or not. For me I just hooked up according to the 1.8L v6 MX-3 manual and it worked fine. But that does sound like a firing order problem.

I'm using a distributor from a North American probe right now, not what came with the engine.

Also double check the TPS connection; I recall it shares the same plug with something else (fuel injection wire or something). I had it reversed initially.

For the port, you're checking along the center column on the right side, up about 2" from the bottom of the glove compartment right?

[EDIT] Yah.. what marcdh said. :)
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
ChrisNW

Post by ChrisNW »

I've asked my mechanic to call by here, he's the guy doing all the work so he'll be in the know about spark / fuel. I know that the engine has had a spluttering start, but I'm just passing the story on.

As far as the OBD2 connector goes, I've been looking for a chunky black port around the steering column, but I've checked all over as it's a right hand drive UK model. This is quite a large plastic port in your mx3's? We've been hunting high and low for this, the readings would come in real useful right now.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK, first of all I'll assume your using your stock disty right? Make sure you didn't accidentally plug the O2 monitor sensor plug into your fuel rail (that was the lower of the two exhaust sensors). They both have the same looking plug and are located close to each other. Check these two things then post again. Plugging the O2 plug into the rh fuel rail will make it run and stuble like crap. Cheers
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Dissconnect the neg. from the battery and hold the brake pedal down for 15 sec to clear the ECU memory then reconnect the battery and start the engine and let it run for at least 15 minutes so the ECU can learn the new engine. With the KLO2 VAF your engine should purr like a kitten and go like hell. :D
Last edited by Daninski on August 13th, 2009, 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
daryl

Post by daryl »

I'm the guy who fitted the KLZE.

I labeled everything meticulously as it came off so i'm pretty sure all is ok there.

Using the K8 disty, same firing order as my KLZE and it turns over and fires but sounds like its not running on all cylinders.

I tried the different firing order found in the Chiltons manual but it was way off.

Can one of the OBDII swap guys post up the plug order they have on their disty.

Currently using MX-3 VAF as its firing and trying to run with that on, tried a KL01 vaf and it was not even trying to fire

Should it run/idle ok with mx-3 vaf?

Do I need to fit an AFPR? Chris gave me one thinking it was needed from his research just want to check if it is needed.

When we got the engine the black plastic electronic controller rail for the fuel injectors that runs above the fuel rails was broken so I seperated them from the fuel rails and swapped them for the K8 ones, they were a direct swap so I figured tat would be ok.
(to clarify the rails and injectors are ZE, with the controller rails from the K8 ontop)

- I will try swapping over the cranksensor from the K8
- check the knock sensor again
- check the fuel pipes are same way round as my ZE
- Make sure I didn't accidentally plug the O2 monitor sensor plug into the fuel rail

Can't find the diagnostics port, can someone please take a picture of its location.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

daryl wrote:I'm the guy who fitted the KLZE.

I labeled everything meticulously as it came off so i'm pretty sure all is ok there.

Using the K8 disty, same firing order as my KLZE and it turns over and fires but sounds like its not running on all cylinders.

I tried the different firing order found in the Chiltons manual but it was way off.

Can one of the OBDII swap guys post up the plug order they have on their disty.
I can check when I get home, but it was a '97 2.5L probe disty and I just matched the numbers on it to what was listed in the online manual here.

This is a totally silly question, but are you absolutely certain the wires are in good (enough) shape?
Currently using MX-3 VAF as its firing and trying to run with that on, tried a KL01 vaf and it was not even trying to fire

Should it run/idle ok with mx-3 vaf?
I ran on the 1.8L's JE50 for about 6 months. It runs rich and idles a little rough, but other than that it's perfectly fine and usable.
Do I need to fit an AFPR? Chris gave me one thinking it was needed from his research just want to check if it is needed.
I ran the stock FPR with the JE50 and again while it was rough (and rich) it was more or less fine. Certainly wouldn't cause the problem you're seeing. You may want to double check that you have vacuum at the FPR; in fact you could try bypassing the PRC solenoid completely (just get FPR vacuum straight from the manifold).
When we got the engine the black plastic electronic controller rail for the fuel injectors that runs above the fuel rails was broken so I seperated them from the fuel rails and swapped them for the K8 ones, they were a direct swap so I figured tat would be ok.
(to clarify the rails and injectors are ZE, with the controller rails from the K8 ontop)
Hmm. I assume this would be fine, but I don't know for sure. It does sound like an interesting candidate though; misfiring injectors could certainly cause this problem.
- I will try swapping over the cranksensor from the K8
- check the knock sensor again
I wouldn't bother with the crank sensor unless you think it's defective; I'm using the one from the ZE fine. And you don't need the knock sensor for the engine to run; if it senses a failure it'll just retard the timing.
- check the fuel pipes are same way round as my ZE
Ya, big one there.
- Make sure I didn't accidentally plug the O2 monitor sensor plug into the fuel rail
Another big one. :)
Can't find the diagnostics port, can someone please take a picture of its location.
It's right next to the stereo/sunglasses hole, facing down, parallel with the length of the car, just slightly behind the center console trim next to the glove compartment (on LHD cars); you can't miss it... so if you don't see it something very strange is going on. Maybe someone else converted to OBD-II and forgot to install the port or something.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
daryl

Post by daryl »

Its just had new plugs and leads.

Thanks for the info I will check it all out tomorrow.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Still cant find obd2 diagnostics port, can someone please take a picture of where it is.

Thanks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'll try to remember when I get home today and I'll post the pic. It's 06:12 am here now compared to your 10:12
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

ChrisNW

Post by ChrisNW »

Appreciate the advice guys, really. I want my baby back on the road! We'll let you know how we get on.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

Did you look under the hood on left side near firewall for plug ? Just a guess.

If all else fails, I would try another disty, thats the number 1 problem Ive had with mine.

good luck
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

How do you know your car's OBD-II? Is it a '96 and up? I've heard talk of some '95's being OBD-II, but have yet to see any proof.

If you lie on your back on the passenger side floor, and look up near that side of the center console, just behind where the glovebox front panel is, you should see it. If you don't see it, you may be missing some gray matter inside your head, or the car is not OBD-II.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
ChrisNW

Post by ChrisNW »

The ECU is a four port 96+ type, the car's model year is listed as late 95 early 96 production from the VIN. The ECU has the OBD2 code label on it - K853 I think, it matched whatever the standard OBD2 label (mentioned around here) is!

Definitely an OBD2 ECU... Just need to find that connector port. It's strange; we have another mx3 from the same year, doesn't have the port in the usual place either. Both UK models. We have another UK OBD2 mx3, the port is in the usual place, can't miss it. Weird.

We have the diagnosis box behind the battery under the hood too. I've heard that they transistioned over to OBD2, keeping the diagnosis box as they had in the OBD1 cars, but then phased out that diagnosis box? I'm expecting that OBD2 connector port to be on EVERY OBD2 MX3 that was produced, in the same place. That just ain't so though, they're either very well hidden or missing on these UK 95/96 models.

What can we do but keep looking right? :)

Cheers, will let you know how we get on!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”