Coffee Substitute? I found oot!

Off-Topic Discussions
SuperK
Supporting Member

Coffee Substitute? I found oot!

Post by SuperK »

I know, most of you are thinking, "Hell, the best substitute for coffee is coffee!"

ha ha ha... SHUT UP!

Seriously, I can't handle both the caffeine or the massive acids in coffee, it does terrible things to me.

Grandma brought up with her on her visit a delicious coffee substitute, though, from Puerto Rico.

It's Roasted Garbanzo's. It's so good, brew it like coffee, add some cream and sugar and it tastes better than coffee, without the baddies.

And I type this with my little cup of... Garbanzoffee.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: Coffee Substitute? I found oot!

Post by Mnemonic »

green tea is my substitute...

Started drinking it when I started working out, been doing it ever since :)

Will have to try the garbanzo experience
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

SuperK: I don't know if you're aware of this, but garbanzos are chickpeas. Maybe you can roast your own... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickpea

http://www.make-stuff.com/cooking/coffee.html
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Any crazy mormons wanna post there solutions? Lol

I can't stand the taste of coffee, but that's a cool alternative superk, I'm gonna tell my mom about that. She's always lookin for coffee alternatives
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Iced coffee is my love. Regular coffee is meh.

Iced Green Tea is my call girl.

Half and Half (Iced Tea/Lemonade 50/50) is my wife.

I don't drink many warm drinks, except the occasional hot cocoa in the winter. (w/ baileys of course) I will certainly have to try this drink that you speak of.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Iced coffee is my love. Regular coffee is meh.

Iced Green Tea is my call girl.

Half and Half (Iced Tea/Lemonade 50/50) is my wife.

I don't drink many warm drinks, except the occasional hot cocoa in the winter. (w/ baileys of course) I will certainly have to try this drink that you speak of.
How do you feel about Chai Tea?
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Never tried it, believe it or not.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Coffee did bad things to my guts too, so I always start my day with a nice tall glass of vodka.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I am aware of the other coffee substitutes, such as Postum and Roma, which are barley/wheat subs, but I don't like those much.

I understand Garbanzo's are chick peas, but they have to be roasted a certain way in order for them to keep their flavor best, and that requires a special roaster.

You actually can get the roasted garbanzo's (already ground up) here:
http://creativefoodsinc.com/_mgxroot/page_10744.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought a 3 lb bag... it's a BIG bag!
Along with a french press, I have this one:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Cost_Plu ... 6105840260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

put a scoop of ground, add the water, let it set for a couple minutes, do ONLY ONE PLUNGE to push the residue to the bottom, add some cream (if you like cream) and wow, it's just so good!

I HIGHLY recommend trying it.

In fact, if you'd like, I can send you a sample of roasted garbanzo to see if you like it.
You can also refrigerate both the grounds and the actual brewed coffee itself without loosing flavor. Grandma makes a large batch, refrigerates it, then warms portions up for grandpa throughout the day.

I am sure you can prepare it like iced coffee... never tried it, but I am going to!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

SOME spanish stores will also carry it, if you know of any in your area.

The one in my area used to, but they stopped for some reason, hence why I had to order a bag of Bueno.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Inodoro Pereyra

Well. according to my personal policy of never say I don't like something without trying it (at least when it comes to foods), I finally decided to try the "garbanzofee".
But since for me tasting it would be only half the fun, yesterday I bought a bag of chick peas at the super, and today, after putting some on a tray...

I put them in the oven, and after exactly 3 hours at 300* F...

So then, after letting them cool down a bit, I took my professional coffee grinder (my blender), and a few spins later, I got this:

The first thing that hit me is how bad it smells. I mean BAD.
However, having come this far, I wasn't gonna let that little detail discourage me, so I put some of it with some water in my French press (my microwave oven :wink: ), and after 2 minutes on high...

Then (after filtering), some sugar, and...

I have to say, regardless of its less than inviting aroma (not as bad as the powder, but still bad), it tastes surprisingly good. Not being a coffee drinker myself, I'll probably never drink it again, but I can see how a coffee lover would like it.

Anyways, I thought I'd share the experience... :shrug:

Diogenes of Sinope.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Personally, I drink coffe for the caffeine, so I can't imagine subbing it with something non-caffeinated. However, I also dislike the acid, so I started cold brewing it, and it's much better (no acid)! I like the taste better, too. You just leave coffee grounds in water overnight, and strain it when you want to drink it. I use lightly roasted beans, because they have more caffeine.
Right now, my favorite pick-me-up drink is Zip-Fizz. I get it at Costco. It's mostly B-vitamines, and healthy stuff with tea extract for the caffeine, and Stevia for sugar substitute. It is the best I've had, and I've tried everything. It doesn't have a crash, or come-down. It is a must-have for Burning Man, so I don't miss as much during down-time.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Inodoro Pereyra

I don't drink coffee at all. I love the smell, but not the taste.
I get my caffeine fix from tea and coca cola (about 2 cups of tea, and 2 1/2 to 3 liters of coke a day), and my sugar substitute is...well...sugar. HUGE amounts of it.

I didn't try this because I was trying to sub coffee. I just wanted to know how it tastes. I'm a curious kinda guy... :)

Diogenes of Sinope.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

My life would be hollow and empty without the glorious love affair I share with coffee.

Green tea???...GARBONZOFFEE!!!! wtf is wrong with you!?!?!?!
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Jesse - cold brewing is great. You can make it super strong, then I just add it to alot of milk so you get coffee milk. Delicious.

Return to “Off-Topic”