idea to raise the idle

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
hpcbmw

idea to raise the idle

Post by hpcbmw »

The idle on my gf's 93 mx3 with 190k on it gets REAL low at times - especially when it's hot outside, just got off the freeway, and come to a stop sign. Car shakes and almost stalls. I've tried cleaning throttle body, running cleaner through the gas, putting sea foam into the throttle body, changing plugs, etc.

Here's my idea -if I put some noncompressible rubber behind the gas pedal, it will act as if you have just a little foot on the gas, and keep the idle up. Here's my concern - will the computer figure this out and reduce the idle back down after awhile?

Thanks for any ideas!
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: idea to raise the idle

Post by umcamara »

Did you try adjusting the Idle Adjustment Screw?

You need to jump TEN and Ground in the diagnostic connector, then start the car, then adjust the screw once the car has reached operating temp, then remove the jumper, then shut off the car.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
hpcbmw

Post by hpcbmw »

Umcamara - I don't recall if I tried this or not. Where is the idle adjustment screw? Is it where the throttle cable meets the throttle body? If you adjust this, will the computer override the adjustment?

Thx
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

The screw should be facing towards the front of the engine bay. It's a phillips-head screw near the throttle cable linkage.

If you do not enter diagnostic mode and do the procedure in the order that I mentioned, the computer will adjust back to how it was before adjusting.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Towona

Post by Towona »

Or just tighten up the throttle cable a little.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

^
that it what it's there for.
the best answer is often the easy way.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Replace PCV valve with a mazda OEM one not a cheap 2 dollar one.

There is a world of difference in quality
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

The throttle cable is a good idea, but IMO, only if there is play in the accelerator pedal.

I thought it was best for the butterfly valve to be in the closed position when at idle, and tightening the throttle cable will open it more.

I know it's set so that there's a tiny opening and it doesn't quite touch the side walls of the TB, but I figured it was best to not open it further at idle and leave that to the idle air passage-way.

Maybe it doesn't matter.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
beefmobile

Post by beefmobile »

umcamara wrote:The throttle cable is a good idea, but IMO, only if there is play in the accelerator pedal.

I thought it was best for the butterfly valve to be in the closed position when at idle, and tightening the throttle cable will open it more.

I know it's set so that there's a tiny opening and it doesn't quite touch the side walls of the TB, but I figured it was best to not open it further at idle and leave that to the idle air passage-way.

Maybe it doesn't matter.
the idle adjuster does the same thing.......
Cars:

2006 Mustang GT-- 12.5 @ 112 mph; NSR Stage II Cams, CMCV Delete Plates, GT500 Throttle Body, U/D pullies, JLT Intake, MAC Headers, O/R X Pipe, Borla Stingers, 4.10 Gears, Hurst Shifter, FRPP Springs, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Power Steering Delete, Brembo Brakes, Chrome Grille, Cervinis Chin Spoiler, GT500 18" Wheels, Blacked Out Lights, and much much more.

2006 Mercury Mariner V6-DD
2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8 SE-Wife
1993 Mazda MX-3-BEATER!

United States Marine Corps
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The Idle Air Adjusting screw is there to change the size of the idle air passage through the TB when the throttle plate is closed. The Idle Air Adjusting screw is located in the face of the throttle body and is, I think, the screw to which Uncamera is referring.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

beefmobile wrote:
umcamara wrote:The throttle cable is a good idea, but IMO, only if there is play in the accelerator pedal.

Maybe it doesn't matter.
the idle adjuster does the same thing.......
I explained two different processes by which the idle is adjusted here. Your comment makes no sense.

The throttle linkage opens the butterfly plate, and the idle adjustment screw opens the COMPLETELY SEPARATE idle air passage-way.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Indeed. Adjust the idle using the idle adjustment screw. Just makes sence, no?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”