Building a new exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BornSticky

Building a new exhaust

Post by BornSticky »

So my muffler has completely rusted from the inside out and the rest of my exhaust isnt looking the best.... I also am running a ze and wanted to upgrade for a while now I will be getting the probe headers and will be running a 2.5 inch pipe. I have a magnaflow hiflo cat but was wondering if I put a cherry bomb right behind it then run the piping to the back with a apexi n1 muffler would it still be really loud... Im trying to go for the quiet when driving but if I stomp on it it screams kinda sound.

Any suggestions will be appreciated
Thanks -Steve
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Building a new exhaust

Post by umcamara »

The cherry bomb and the N1 are both straight-through mufflers. It will be loud. If you want to quiet it down unless you're stepping on it you'd need a 3-chamber muffler such as a Flowmaster Delta 40 or a magnaflow, as well as a straight-through cat/resonator to calm down the raspy/tinny tones.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

My car had 2.25" with a high-flow cat, a really long resonator, and MagnaFlow muffler with a resonating tip, and it sounded great. It was a little louder than a stock 2.5L, but not luder than a stock V8.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

cool ill look into it. Thanks
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

yeah im gonna go with the 40 delta its only a couple more bucks im still gonna use 2.5 and a cherry bomb tho just for that deeper tone. thanks alot!!!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

The Flowmaster 60 series delta flow is the one that I meant, not the 40 series delta flow. The 60 is the one that I and I believe SuperK have, it's engineered for sport compact cars.

Check out the Flowmaster website. The muffler is HIGHLY recommended.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I get alot of comments on my exhaust tone with a ss autochrome headers, magnaflow high flow cat, 2.5in piping all the way back to a megan GT 4.5in tip muffler... It's not too loud IMO I think it was 85 dB at the track and has the best tone I have ever heard on an mx-3.
Collier

Post by Collier »

A long resonator is the easiest way to calm down the volume and give it a nice rounded tone.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Moon, soundclip? Driveby? Your dyno vid didn't really cut it haha. I wanna hear it!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

93vtecklr wrote:Moon, soundclip? Driveby? Your dyno vid didn't really cut it haha. I wanna hear it!
nooooo that was the race car and it has HORRIBLE sounding exhaust - it is over 92 dB and doesn't sound good at all IMO... that's why I'll be changing everything to what the DD has (I have all the parts now)...

hmmm I'll have to see if I can get some kind of sound clip... I don't really have anything good to record it with :confused2:
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i dont eman to thread jack but has anyone had problems with 2.25" piping hitting the rear crossmember right beofre the muffler? What would be a good insulator to put between the exuast and the crossmember piece?
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Exhaust wrap.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Red Rocket

Post by Red Rocket »

i need to do this too, but i'm going for the g35 sound.
[*url=http:cardomain.com/ride/2632839]My Cardomain Page[/url*]
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

Mooneggs wrote:I get alot of comments on my exhaust tone with a ss autochrome headers, magnaflow high flow cat, 2.5in piping all the way back to a megan GT 4.5in tip muffler... It's not too loud IMO I think it was 85 dB at the track and has the best tone I have ever heard on an mx-3.
maybe with a KL ... with a K8 u cant beat my exhaust note ... :freak:
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Does anyone have a sound clip of the fLOMASTER Delta 6o muffler on there v6? I'd like to hear it as I'm doing my exhaust this winter!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”