Interior Noise

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
edger0587
antispam: No

Interior Noise

Post by edger0587 »

hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows how to reduce the amount of interior noise in my MX-3 (Aside from just turning up the stereo). I am about to go on a roadtrip to WA from CA, and if anyone has ever ridden in CA99, then you would know just how terrible the road condition is. On a regular freeway it's rather loud with wind, tire, and mechanical noise, and since the trip is about 15 hours long, then it would get very annoying and make conversation nearly impossible. Is there anything that can bring the noise down (anything would help). I already checked for any loose objects inside the car. I love my MX-3 and trust it much more than a rental car. Thanks in advance.
Elegant Beige 1992 Mazda MX-3 GS. CAI, Short throw shifter, 16" miata rims
1992 Mazda miata. Classic red, stock everything
RIP 1994 Mazda mx-3 RS

"Cats make terrible doctors"
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Interior Noise

Post by Ryan »

The major weak spots are the doors and floorpan. sound deadening materals are easy to come by, but weigh lots, are moderately expensive, can be difficult to install(well), and increase the weight of your car... We're more of a sports car than a luxury car, and getting old. Sound deadening just wasn't priority.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Less aggressive tire tread should quiet down the road noise.

Make sure your windows are rolled up tightly all the time (the manual windows tend to fall down slightly on their own, enough to create wind noise).

If your exhaust is loud, have a resonator installed before your muffler (if you don't already have one). This will quiet it down nicely on the highway.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
edger0587

Post by edger0587 »

Thanks for the tips. I know the car is a sports car (and I love the engine sound but i hate road noise), but would not mind an extra twenty pounds for less noise, at least on this trip.
RIP 1994 Mazda mx-3 RS

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

I find most noise comes from tires and the upper window/door. I'm not sure but maybe try those slim visors that go on the top of ur windows might cut down. Plus put some of that sound proofing stuff on the floor would help a ton too i'm sure.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

There is a product called "lizard skin" which applies like a paint (you can apply it with a roller) and it's said to be a great sound deadening material and thermal insulator. I have never used it, so I can't tell you if it's good or not, but it may be worth a shot...
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
edger0587

Post by edger0587 »

Hoodzy wrote:I find most noise comes from tires and the upper window/door. I'm not sure but maybe try those slim visors that go on the top of ur windows might cut down. Plus put some of that sound proofing stuff on the floor would help a ton too i'm sure.
where can I buy those slim visors? I looked on the weathertech website, and they don't have them for an mx-3, and looking in google is frustrating, as i find them installed in other mx-3 but not a place to buy them
RIP 1994 Mazda mx-3 RS

umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

edger0587 wrote:
Hoodzy wrote:I find most noise comes from tires and the upper window/door. I'm not sure but maybe try those slim visors that go on the top of ur windows might cut down. Plus put some of that sound proofing stuff on the floor would help a ton too i'm sure.
where can I buy those slim visors? I looked on the weathertech website, and they don't have them for an mx-3, and looking in google is frustrating, as i find them installed in other mx-3 but not a place to buy them
Slim Visors
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “Appearance”