95 B6DE Real Slugish

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jkbreazeale

95 B6DE Real Slugish

Post by jkbreazeale »

As the title states... this is my wife's car. I have replaced the following to try to improve this problem:
New Plugs
New Wires
Gutted first cat
Replaced second cat
Replaced stock muffler
Replaced distributor (possibly the rotor too (mazda did this))
New belts (which she is on the second set, still squelling and eating belts)
Running 93 octane with the occasional seafoam
New intake hose
K&N Cone filter

The car has to be floored from the stop light in order it to go, once it starts it does not need to be floored
This car is an automatic. It seems to always start off in second gear instead of first. The hold feature seems to help with the acceleration, however if you floor it to try to pass, it does not always downshift, so this is where the hold feature comes in. I tried pulling codes for both the tranny and the ecu but got nothing.

Edit

Also, when the AC is on, the car stumbles, you can hear an electronic click from the distributor trying to keep the car running. The reason why the first car was gutted was because the muffler shop was not able to get an exact replacement and the inside of the cat was crumpled, looked like something tore it all to hell. Second cat was in alittle worse shape than the first.

Any ideas? Besides swapping to a MTX.

Thanks,
Keith
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
jkbreazeale

Re: 95 B6DE Real Slugish

Post by jkbreazeale »

Just an update

I was checking the vacuum hoses according to the diagram from the online manual. The hose that goes from the brake booster to the bottom side of the intake manifold had some type of plastic metal like stuff in it and it was completely clogged. I got it out and it fixed a majority of the problem. The hoses will be replaced on monday. The other hose that was in bad shape was the one from the intake hose to the top of the valve cover was split where the hoses goes to the valve cover.
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

as for your AC.. the car simply cannot spare the power to run the AC. 100hp 1.6L.. that's how she is.
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

but if that was the case, my b6me would run worse than hers with the ac on and it runs without problem.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya you got the idea go over the basics, check all vacuum lines, check your ground wires. if you have tools id go over the parts on the transmissions ie(solenoids, range switch) stuff like that. ya if its starting off in the wrong gear its gonna be so sluggish off the line. check your transmission fluid as well, check the condition see if its pink or not.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Well... here is the thing, and please don't laugh. I don't know where to start when it comes to checking ground wires. I know where the negative terminal on the battery is... but that is about it. I have looked at the electrical diagram on the online manual but... I feel I am at a loss. If I could learn how to check these grounds, then I would also upgrade the grounding system. I wouldn't mind swapping to a V6 alternator though... but would the increased draw from the alternator effect the cars horsepower?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

There's only an increased draw on the alt when there's an increased electrical demand. Assuming your electrical demand doesn't change there should be no change in draw.

Also, I realize that the 3-way warm-up cat is expensive and difficult to find, but the problem is that your car has an O2 sensor before and after this cat. Since you've hollowed it, the O2 sensors will both be getting the same reading and should throw a catalyst inefficiency code. Whether this is causing all your problems I don't know, but I'm sure it's not helping.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

he doesnt have a pre and post cat its a obd1 car. his is a 95 just like mine and i only have one main o2 sensor. if it was getting the same voltage as the rear it would throw a code immediately because of increased emissions. if he had a 96 or had the odb1 and 2 then he might have it. if someone that mx3 has a post cat oxygen sensor please someone hit me hahah :)
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Your's must've been modified, cuz the 95's had a warm up and main cat. Check the online manual.
On a side note, mine's a '96 with both cats, and an O2 sensor before and after the warm-up cat.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well ya i know theres a before and after cat. but mine only had one oxygen sensor which was mounted in the manifold. yes 96 mx3's had 2 o2 sensors. 95 mx3's have obd1 and have a warm up cat and a regular 3 way cat.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

sorry i dont wana argue bro. i dont mean to be a a--, if hes got one then thats cool check the pre and post voltages.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

No worries. I figured you were saying there was only one cat. I guess the wording was just a bit confusing to me. He probably does only have one sensor, I hadn't realized that was the case. Guess I learned something today.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

To the best of my knowledge, she only has one o2 sensor, she does have two cats though, I dont think she has a resonator but the car does have plenty of back pressure. Finished replacing the hoses today. The only one I didnt get to was the one under the intake hose just for lack of time but it drives alot better. AC still drags the car down, but that's to be expected. So... the question still lingers about replacing the ground wires (where and which ones) and whether or not swap the alternator from a v6.
jkbreazeale

Post by jkbreazeale »

Oh, I forgot to mention that the transmission fluid and filter was just changed by Mazda.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

no worries, ya i just worded it wrong haha. i read what i wrote again and didnt make since to me either lol i dont think switching your alternator will fix your problem. but if your worried about it, remove it and take it down to autozone and have them test it for you. make sure when your replacing vacuum hoses that you get ones just for that. ive did that one time and replaced the pcv hose with a hose from autozone, hose collapsed and clogged the system. hmm didnt see this, why are you running 93 octane in your car? its stock correct?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”