Turbo installation in a B6D

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
djArias
antispam: No

Turbo installation in a B6D

Post by djArias »

Hello, sorry if someone earlier asked same question - coudn't really find an answear to it...
As I'm trying to install turbo in my mx-3 1.6 DOHC 1995, I've been looking for a turbo kit... so far not many result (only the overpriced kit from racingmazda.com) ... but I've been thinking about using the MX-5 1.5/1.6 kit (or manifold). Here is my question: do you maybe know if the Manifold is the same in both engines? Here is the picture of mx-5 manifold:
http://www.tuningdepot.com/ebay/images/th-mx5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If not that one - do you maybe know where from I could get a MX-3 TURBO manifold?
Thanks in advance for your help
b6BF 116hP@6431RPM ;>
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Turbo installation in a B6D

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

check out the work logs. There are 2 options. 323 factory turbo parts or full custom.

Get ready to drop a lot of cash.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

RS_OBD'oh_2 is 100% correct here, turboing a MX3 aint cheap. :)

If you are on a tight budget then dont even bother.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
djArias

Post by djArias »

Thanks for your reply :) - so the 323 B6T manifold will without any changes fit my engine?
I know that turbo ain't cheap but this mx-5 manifold would make the whole thing much cheaper - I tried to get some measures - and so far it seams that the holes for the screws are just the same - but the four holes for the exhaust fumes seem to be around 0,5mm smaller in mx-5 manifold - do you maybe know if it the measures I have are correct? and whether will it make a huge difference to the performance of my turbo kit?
Next question... on racingmazda.com they sell turbo kit without intercooler - is there a point in waisting time with this kind of kit?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

AFAIK, racing mazda pulled the plug on the turbo setup. The miata mani points up, meaning you'll need to destroy your hood to get it to fit.(right at the front too)
323 mani from corksport is fairly cheap. Or check out my WL for parts. I hope you are good friends with a welder.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

^^^^ what ever^^^^

It will clear the hood. there was someone on here a while back that did it. espescially with that mani. I think the guy that did it used a SS autocrome mani which would have stuck up higher. If for some reasion it did hit, its very easy to flip the flange. Such negativity. be alittle optimistic and try it first.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

ya, sure.. you can hack up a $100 pos 1/16 ss mani. Or you can get quality parts. Personally I'd be happy as hell welding up all the cracks on the weekend.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Hence the point that he is on a budget. He wants to do it cheep. here is my hacked up POS

This is an SS auto crome turbo mani fliped.

OK we need to get some things straight. You can Turbo your MX for cheep. I got my first turbo and mani from a GTX for 250 out of a wrecker. spent another 200 on a walbro fuel pump and injectors, then spent 50 bucks on a MSD boost sensitive FPR. You have to be thrifty. The SS auto crome header, is more than good enough for a base line turbo kit. I was putting down well over 230 All WHP with this header, and ran it on my car for 2 years, with no leaks. Its not like its going to rust and fall apart.

From someone with experience dealing with both, I would go with the Ebay header flipped, Way better than welding the Cast Iron stock mani every weekend. It rarely lasts or holds up. Go onto the 323 board and ask around. It is a bad design and will alwayse crack eventually, and for the price of a new or used one now days defiantly not worth it to me, or to most. IF you want to get "Quality" parts look at Lime greens old setup, he has the only header thats made for the MX and its for a 1.8L and cost 450 bucks. but you do get what you pay for it is nice.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Yeah, you could totally turbo a DOHC b6 for under $400. I will be doing it if I can ever get the thing running first.... ;)

But the SS manifolds aren't bad after you put a decent brace on them!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

that is much better than the ones I have seen.
here is another option:
JGS Precision Turbo turbo manifold kit ($180) http://jgsturbo.com/index2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thick wall, will never crack. Also gives you the option of using damn near any turbo you want. And yes, made for our B6.
Blue Demon

Post by Blue Demon »

djArias wrote:Hello, sorry if someone earlier asked same question - coudn't really find an answear to it...
As I'm trying to install turbo in my mx-3 1.6 DOHC 1995, I've been looking for a turbo kit... so far not many result (only the overpriced kit from racingmazda.com) ... but I've been thinking about using the MX-5 1.5/1.6 kit (or manifold). Here is my question: do you maybe know if the Manifold is the same in both engines? Here is the picture of mx-5 manifold:
http://www.tuningdepot.com/ebay/images/th-mx5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If not that one - do you maybe know where from I could get a MX-3 TURBO manifold?
Thanks in advance for your help
Hey if you are trying to boost and you are looking for a 323 Manifold I got one for sale if interested.
djArias

Post by djArias »

I'm very much interested in buying one - what's the price and shipment to Poland?
b6BF 116hP@6431RPM ;>
10secSim

Post by 10secSim »

i will have some sweet b6 turbo manifolds out soon, they will be 500$ each and will be made out of thick stainless steel, lifetime warrenty on cracks and will have a t3 flange and will be suited with a tial waste gate flange, they will have equal leght runners and able to support big hp number
B6 1.6L DOHC, CAI, custom intake mani. with internal velocity stacks, 65mm thottle body, probe 4-2-1 header, custom 2.5" high flow exhaust, Centerforce dual friction, MS2, MSD 6A, Tokico struts, EIBACH springs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Forced Induction”