Is there hope for a slipping ATX?!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
vicer26

Is there hope for a slipping ATX?!

Post by vicer26 »

Murphy's Law: If it can go wrong, it will go wrong. :roll:

I've got a '95 1.6L Mx-3 with an ATX. The engine was on its way out last winter (Posted about it in 4-cyl forum) so I rebuilt it and I am currently at about 5000 miles. My worst fear for the entire time I was working on the engine was that the transmission would fail as soon as I fixed the engine and gave it more power. It seems to have taken a few more miles but I think there's a big problem shaping up!

I moved to Indiana from Minnesota two days ago and with 3 hours to go to my destination, my only car that I would have in Indy started acting funny. I would be cruising around at 70mph (~112Kph) and with my foot stationary, the speed would fall with the engine speed remaining constant (level grades). Suddenly it seemed that it would catch. Sometimes I could only accelerate if I let off the gas for a second and very slowly press down (otherwise it would slip again). I found that at first it would only do this between the speeds of about 69-72 mph (had a gps with me) but I could accelerate through this band and drive steady at a faster speed.

One time it just simply would not catch despite letting off the gas and trying again and again. I had fallen from 70 to about 55 on the freeway when I found that if I press hold to kick it down into 3rd it would catch and I could accelerate back to speed. This worked a few times, then it reved immediately to the redline when it kicked down, so I had to take my foot off the gas to allow it to catch before I could get going again.

Its become worse and happening in lower gears at lower speeds and this has happened in the span of 2 days. It seems similar to what Nd4SpdSe said on this page (http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=lucas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The only thing is that I've twice changed the fluid since the engine rebuild (once to remove the axles, the other to change the tranny filter after the new fluid from the last change ate away any build up from inside the tranny).

Well, I'm none too knowledgeable on transmissions, but I've heard that the fluid level is critical and can cause slipping or hard shifts. I'm don't know what causes what...If there is to little fluid would that cause hard shifts? And can there be too much fluid because there is a reservoir at the bottom of the trans, right?

I've also tried adjusting the throttle cable according to the shop manual, but even when the line pressure should be the highest, I'm getting no less slip and it still shifts uncomfortably smooth to the mind (it used to have a firm (but not too firm) shift).

Wow is this a long rambling post :shock: ! But I would appreciate all and any input to the situation you can give. Thanks guys!
muttpower
antispam: No

Re: Is there hope for a slipping ATX?!

Post by muttpower »

Is there hope for a slipping ATX? Answer: Sell it as scrap metal!!!

I would consider swapping it for a MTX. Even if you replaced it with a new ATX, it would still just be another failure prone part. Kind of like the distributors on the V6's.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

swap it out.
CF Hood, Kenwood everything, 2.25 catback exhaust, H&R Springs, F&B Strut bars

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good afternoon from the biggest Douch around;D
vicer26

Post by vicer26 »

I'm afraid that's just not an option...I wish it were, but I just moved to a new state to a place w/o a garage, It's my only car and I am limited on funds. I would love to do some more work on this car but I just can't put any more serious dough into it. If the trans is no good, I'll have to scrap the car. I was just hoping to find some magical quick fix that I didn't know about...

On a side note, is there a good market for a rebuilt B6D engine with 5000 miles on it?!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

A shop could probably do the swap for less than $500 if you provided the parts ($200?) Thats cheaper than a new tranny anyway.

Someone might take the motor, but BP's are generally the preferred option. That motor will drop into 323's, protege's and a few other cars though.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
vicer26

Post by vicer26 »

I've been thinking it over...is it possible to swap an ATX with an MTX with all the sensors and computer junk working together? I wouldn't need a new ECM would I?
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Nope, its a very straightforeward swap.

Check the FAQ's and a few worklogs have some awesome writeups. It should be baisically the same for v6 and I4. Don't need a new ECM, the auto ECM is a combination unit. The engine management part doesn't change, but it has a 4th plug for the tranny. You can just unplug the tranny plug. There will be some connectors hanging out in the engine bay, but whatever :) Won't be using them anyway.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “Transmissions”