street legal performance muffler?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
johnmx3ze

street legal performance muffler?

Post by johnmx3ze »

ok im up to 3 tickets for my exhaust... and this weekend it says that there out to stop illegal mufflers...

so i wanna know is there a STREET LEGAL performance muffler that i can buy so i cans top gettin tickets?
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: street legal performance muffler?

Post by fowljesse »

I've driven by alot of cops with only a Flowmaster HushPower muffler, and no cat, or resonator, with no problems. One time, I even cut one off on accident, at about 6,500rpm, coming out of a parking space..
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Question is, what makes yours illegal? Cops can bend the law to whatever they want, but as long as you have your EGR, a catalytic converter and a muffler, you should be totally legal...HOWEVER, and this is the shitty part, is that it's basically upto the officer's discression; seriously!

Here's a good thread about it on GTA motorcycle site, but they all abide from the same laws, and they so talk about cars.
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/sh ... 52&t=77489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically, this sums it up:
If a cop doesn't like how loud it is = ticket. If it's aftermarket = ticket. If the exhaust smells funny = ticket
The only time I've ever gotten a ticket for my exhaust is when I didn't have a cat, but it (thank god) was a ticket for a loud exhaust, and I did and will admit, it was the loudest thing I have ever, ever heard.
"Muffler
75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

ok i just redid my full exhaust like 3 months for my turbo setup... 2.5' stainless...

i have a 3" catalic converter and a a aftermarket muffler... and it dosent sound that loud compaired to before i was turboed... and i told the police that i have my cat and i have a brnd new exhaust and i pass e-test and he told me to put the stock muffler on or else i'll get a ticket...

what could i do?
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, they're obviously harassing you, but they have the power. Our laws, that I know of, doesn't make an aftermarket muffler, but a cop can ticket you for it. You have 2 choices:

1) Give in and put in the stock muffler.
2) Go to court and fight it. You should win if it's not excessively loud, but that's not 100% either. If you win, you have that as leverage next time a cop gives you a hard time. I would also price one out from Mazda. Hopefully it's stupidly expensive and you can show that to the judge, and you tell the judge of the problems getting an new oem muffler from a car that's been out of production for 13yrs!

They just ticket you because it's usually BS and most would just pay it rather than taking the day off of work to fight it.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on June 6th, 2009, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Hollow out the stock muffler, and put the guts of the one you have on there now, in it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Well, they're obviously harassing you, but they have the power. Our laws, that I know of, doesn't make an aftermarket muffler, but a cop can ticket you for it. You have 2 choices:

1) Give in and put in the stock muffler.
2) Go to court and fight it. You should win if it's not excessively loud, but that's not 100% either. If you win, you have that as leverage next time a cop gives you a hard time. I would also price one out from Mazda. Hopefully it's stupidly expensive and you can show that to the judge, and you tell the judge of the problems getting an new oem muffler from a car that's been out of production for 13yrs!

They just ticket you because it's usually BS and most would just pay it rather than taking the day off of work to fight it.

i already went to court for that... and they told me to change it...
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Different areas have different laws for noise pollution. Find out what the limit is where you live, and see if you can measure the sound of your exhaust. If you're within limit, and pass emissions, then they should have no case.

I guess it gets tricky when the rules are vague and left up to the cop... In the end, just get a silencer for your exhaust or something.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Whisper wrote:I guess it gets tricky when the rules are vague and left up to the cop... In the end, just get a silencer for your exhaust or something.
yep I have to put my car in neutral when passing a cop... something I do is carry my silencer in the car and most of the time the cops are happy with that since you are trying if you say you will put it in right now (or as soon as you get home or something since it is HOT). As long as you are polite and don't act like a jerk (maybe play the ignorance card - "oh I apologize I didn't know it was that loud, I just got it installed, etc etc") Right now, my exhaust is 92.5 dB and I got pulled over twice and with a combination of the above they let me go...

you will always have those cops though that are ready to haul you off to jail for anything... 95% of the time police etiquette works for me :shrug:
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have the feeling that if your car was bone stock, except all the exterior you did.. you'd still get harrassed. Cops are prejudiced, since there are so many ricers that street race, and kill people. They see a modded car, and assume you spend nights, and weekends running down children.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, so far I've not been pulled over once *knocks on wood*. My exhaust isn't too loud, unless I'm revving high. Usually I just throw it in neutral or shift up to drop the RPMs when I see a cop, and that keeps the car fairly quiet. But I guess I don't really look like a ricer, either. Stock body, fairly minor drop, and aftermarket 15s. If it weren't for the wheels, I could pass for a stock no problem.

I must say I've never actually seen a ricer pulled over around these parts. Even ones that have loud fart cans and booming stereos.
trick69

Post by trick69 »

the power gains are not even noticeable. put on a cherry bomb turbo and be done with it. It sucks when you consideer all the harleys with no mufflers. but it's about respect(you /I are young punks) screw us. right? you can stand up like I do go to court argue like sin win a few cases then have them nail your a-- for everything they can think of. or give in and save yourself that next 110.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

And yet the people with cars from the 50s and 60s with an exhaust that can drown out a fleet of motorcycles will not get ticketed. They still get pulled over mind you, but the cop ends up talking about the car

"Yeah, I have a 68 Mustang sitting my my yard too..."
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
trick69

Post by trick69 »

oh and if you want to win in court tell the jp the purpose of a muffler is to supress sound and in todays world of modern technology we no longer need baffled mufflers to do so because we can use resonance cancelation. also remind the court the law merely states your muffler must work but does not state to what degree of noise suppression it must achieve. Tell them their is no oem muffler available for our cars as it was a short production vehicle. If any one try's to argue ask them if they are a licensed mechanic. NO they are not which makes any evidence to the contrary hearsay and conjecture in the court. meaning inadmisable. Ask the officer if he inspected your muffler.He probably did not. Remind him that ignorance has no place in the court room and law is not based on assumption it is based on factual evidence. Any more q's ask I study Law, sort of. :lol:
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

trick69 wrote:oh and if you want to win in court tell the jp the purpose of a muffler is to supress sound and in todays world of modern technology we no longer need baffled mufflers to do so because we can use resonance cancelation. also remind the court the law merely states your muffler must work but does not state to what degree of noise suppression it must achieve. Tell them their is no oem muffler available for our cars as it was a short production vehicle. If any one try's to argue ask them if they are a licensed mechanic. NO they are not which makes any evidence to the contrary hearsay and conjecture in the court. meaning inadmisable. Ask the officer if he inspected your muffler.He probably did not. Remind him that ignorance has no place in the court room and law is not based on assumption it is based on factual evidence. Any more q's ask I study Law, sort of. :lol:
hehe thanks...

so today i got my eclipse back from my swap and stuff and the minute i arrived in my town i got pulled over and i got a ticket for my exhaust on my eclipse lol.... i cant belive it...

the officer told me too rev it too 2000rpm and then told me that my muffler is not legal to the law in ontario and blah blah blah... but did not have any decibel meter or nothing he just said that it wasent legal... WTF...

i'll be fighting it...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”