93 1.6 only gets reverse

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
bumpyjohnson
antispam: No

93 1.6 only gets reverse

Post by bumpyjohnson »

I have a 1993 with the 1.6 and a five speed and it only gets reverse. Does anyone have any idea what might have broke without taking the tranny apart?
mazda___mx3

Re: 93 1.6 only gets reverse

Post by mazda___mx3 »

check the shift linkage, did it just happen overnight or when you were driving, more information would beter help diagnose the problem
bumpyjohnson

Post by bumpyjohnson »

when i first left work I put it in reverse backed up and the car made a loud clunk. For the next two days when I drove the car it would make a grinding noise when i turned left mostly. It seemed to pull to the left when I would give the car some gas. When I went to drive it to my friends garage it popped out of gear and would only get reverse but when I put it in reverse then first gear it would grab first only if you where lucky. Thanks for any help.

Jerry
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Does it go into the gears but do nothing? Does it not go in at all? Is the shifter loose and floats everywhere? Does it grind?

If it doesn't go in at all, it could be the selector fork stuff... That I don't understand entirely. As a matter of fact, I'm going to stop while I'm ahead :P
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

something similar happened to me once... I heard clunking and then the car wouldn't go anywhere. I had broken an axle...

Return to “Transmissions”