Beef between German and Japanese car enthusiasts?

Other - General Mazda Discussions
_-Night-Shade-_

Beef between German and Japanese car enthusiasts?

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

The other day I saw a guy in a Golf VR6 with a decal that said "I don't care how it's done in Japan" :x Pissed me off a bit, seeing as how Japanese cars are so much better IMO, I hate german cars with their weird reverse gears and their dashboard mounted headlight switches; trying too hard to be different. Is there a war between german and Japanese car fans or something? Don't they know tuning started in Japan :roll:
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Mad Cow

Re: Beef between German and Japanese car enthusiasts?

Post by Mad Cow »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:The other day I saw a guy in a Golf VR6 with a decal that said "I don't care how it's done in Japan" :x Pissed me off a bit, seeing as how Japanese cars are so much better IMO, I hate german cars with their weird reverse gears and their dashboard mounted headlight switches; trying too hard to be different. Is there a war between german and Japanese car fans or something? Don't they know tuning started in Japan :roll:
Some people think german cars are better, some thing japanese are better, some think american are better, it's completely normal. But i have to say, I love german engineering, specifically mercedes. My friends has a '94 c280 and everything on that car is made so perfectly it's ridiculous. I never once had the thought of "I could do this better".

Oh and BTW, a brand new golf (might've even been a gti) couldn't keep up with my mx3 on a steep uphill even though there were 4 people in my car and it was in 3rd gear. :lol:
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I started as a german car enthusiast, and have to admit; I'd trade the MX-3 for Porsche 911. The first engine I built was a VW, when I was 14 turning 15, and have a Mercedes. I love engineering in general. You'll always find some insecure fool that wants to believe that whatever he has is better than yours.. At least it wasn't a sticker of Calvin peeing on something :roll:
This reminds me.. I want to look back into the "ultimate build' thing that was going on.. They took about 6 engines (of sort of equal displacement, and such) and gave a budget to build them with, to se who could come up with the most (reliable) power.
Recently, there was a thread about getting "1,000 HP with bolt-ons". It was a Porsche, and it was true. However, it cost like $40,000.
VW jumped on the tuner bandwagon a little late, but made a good campaign.
I've always had the "HotRod what you've got" attitude, and have increased the power of some unlikely vehicles, from 2 to 6 wheels.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
_-Night-Shade-_

fowljesse wrote:The first engine I built was a VW, when I was 14 turning 15
That's crazy! :o
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

My parents came back from an audi dealership the other day. I guess the guy was trashing jap engines big time. Saying something like german over engineer and jap under engineer. WTF. I wish I was there. Throw some specs at that douche and see him squirm. JDM FTW!
_-Night-Shade-_

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:My parents came back from an audi dealership the other day. I guess the guy was trashing jap engines big time. Saying something like german over engineer and jap under engineer. WTF. I wish I was there. Throw some specs at that douche and see him squirm. JDM FTW!
+1 8)
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:My parents came back from an audi dealership the other day. I guess the guy was trashing jap engines big time. Saying something like german over engineer and jap under engineer. WTF. I wish I was there. Throw some specs at that douche and see him squirm. JDM FTW!
I'll have to agree with you about engines for the most part, but the germans always have these small touches that just make you think "wow that's really cool". Take my friend's c280 for example, it has an I6 with coil pack igntion but only 3 high-voltage wires. Each coil is mounted directly above 1 spark plug, so essentially each coil plugs into 1 spark plug directly and 1 spark plug through a lead. And a really cool thing is how you can open the hood 90 degrees upwards if you want.

I respect both japanese and german engineering, they're both good at their own things so comparing them is kinda pointless.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I'll have to agree with you about engines for the most part, but the germans always have these small touches that just make you think "wow that's really cool". Take my friend's c280 for example, it has an I6 with coil pack igntion but only 3 high-voltage wires. Each coil is mounted directly above 1 spark plug, so essentially each coil plugs into 1 spark plug directly and 1 spark plug through a lead. And a really cool thing is how you can open the hood 90 degrees upwards if you want.

I respect both japanese and german engineering, they're both good at their own things so comparing them is kinda pointless.[/quote]

Sounds like that stole that one from the evo. Which can handle over 2X the hp on the stock engine. Show me one german car that can do the same. (they might be out there, I don't care enough to check)
_-Night-Shade-_

Yeah a lot of new cars are doing individual coils now, regardless of the make.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
fowljesse wrote:The first engine I built was a VW, when I was 14 turning 15
That's crazy! :o
My Dad is a German car mechanic, and I literally grew up in thew shop. I started helping when I was about 4, sorting nuts and bolts, cleaning things... simple stuff. When my parents got divorced, I lived with my Dad in the shop until he got a house. We'd sleep under the hydraulic lift, and shower in the parts cleaning area. He gave me a VW, and I took it apart completely, from the rod bearings out, and rebuilt, and painted it all. It was basically brand new when I was done. This was in about 1988, so having a nice VW bus with a "powerful" engine at 15 was really cool.
Since then I've rebuilt several different kinds of engines from 1 to 8 cylinders, and have developed a building "Voodoo". I can make more power with the same parts as most professional builders :wink:
Maybe I'll put a chapter in my memoirs about the psychology of engine building/ tuning..
Mostly, you have to understand the engineers choices, and perameters, to know how far you can push them.
Japanese psychology is pretty straight forward, and efficient, using the latest technology, so, often it's harder to get more power from them.
As for "over', or "under" engineering in the context of this thread, I look at it this way; Japanese engineers build right to the perameters, so they're very efficient, but there isn't alot of room for improvement. German cars are generally built with more leeway, which could be called overengineering. If you know how Germans, and Japanese people think, in general, this all makes more sense.
I don't know if I can put this in words right :?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:I'll have to agree with you about engines for the most part, but the germans always have these small touches that just make you think "wow that's really cool". Take my friend's c280 for example, it has an I6 with coil pack igntion but only 3 high-voltage wires. Each coil is mounted directly above 1 spark plug, so essentially each coil plugs into 1 spark plug directly and 1 spark plug through a lead. And a really cool thing is how you can open the hood 90 degrees upwards if you want.

I respect both japanese and german engineering, they're both good at their own things so comparing them is kinda pointless.
Sounds like that stole that one from the evo. Which can handle over 2X the hp on the stock engine. Show me one german car that can do the same. (they might be out there, I don't care enough to check)[/quote]

This is is 1994 I'm talking about.
And again if you read my post you would realize that you can't just compare on the same criteria, they're all good at their own things. But I see it's useless trying to make a point with you so I'm just giving up.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Mad Cow wrote:This is is 1994 I'm talking about.
And again if you read my post you would realize that you can't just compare on the same criteria, they're all good at their own things. But I see it's useless trying to make a point with you so I'm just giving up.
Hey, you should just give up and take things personally instead of an open an honest debate. How things were to work is.. you mention one thing.. I one up.. and so on.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:
Mad Cow wrote:This is is 1994 I'm talking about.
Hey, you should just give up and take things personally instead of an open an honest debate. How things were to work is.. you mention one thing.. I one up.. and so on.
I wouldn't call it a debate because we're comparing apples and oranges. And all you're talking about is engines, I agree that japanese engines are usually more capable of making and handling power, how can we have a debate if I agree with what you're saying?
_-Night-Shade-_

Wow Jesse that's some amazing s---, I wish I had an early start and could do all that :lol:
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

[quote="Mad CowI wouldn't call it a debate because we're comparing apples and oranges. And all you're talking about is engines, I agree that japanese engines are usually more capable of making and handling power, how can we have a debate if I agree with what you're saying?[/quote]

I did mention that the evo had coil on plug ignition.. or at the very least hinted to the fact. A 90 degree hood is not a selling feature for any car IMO... yet cool. Potential and longevity however.. Excuse me for having passion about something.

Return to “General Mazda”