G series question

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Franko
Supporting Member

G series question

Post by Franko »

So I blew 4th gear in my transmission. Its a g series from a 94 lx protege. The closest thing I can find is a standard gearbox from a 97 626 v6. According to the mazda parts lookup program they are both g series transmissions but the begining of the part numbers are slightly different.

I understand that people change out fifth gear with the 626 one but what about fourth? Will it actually fit the shaft in the gearbox?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
wytbishop

Re: G series question

Post by wytbishop »

My understanding is that the internal components of all the G series trannies are the same. Even though the 6cyl won't bolt up tot he 4cyl engine and vice versa, the interior parts are interchangeable. Beware though...I know from my own experience that the different boxes have different bearings...so that may mean more differences that are not noticeable.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Yoda wrote:The gear is a shrink fit to the shaft. Where the gear is heated slipped onto the shaft then the final machining steps or completed. If you are going to change this gear you really should used the whole shaft otherwise the gear will probably become out of spec if it is heated and removed from the shaft and could micro fracture if removed cold creating all sorts of problems later. Also in certain cases I have seen were the gear and shaft were machined and one piece like in the trannys with the 4.588 final drive ratio
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67819&p=488669&hil ... ft#p488669" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

In that thread we were talking about the pinion for the final drive. This question was about the fourth gear set. I think there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to use a 4th gear set from another G tranny. As long as you know what you're doing.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mazda___mx3
antispam: No

Post by mazda___mx3 »

the g series trans have different gearing i believe, i know for a fact the the mx6 trans uses a lower gear ration in 5th, so your revving lower at the same speed than the mx3 one
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

It doesn't matter what the ratio is, if you take the gear pair and they fit... then it will work. Which they should...

I didn't know these trannies were shrink fit... although I haven't pulled one apart yet :)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

maybe this is obvious... why not just use the whole 626 tranny?? :confused2:
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

Mooneggs wrote:maybe this is obvious... why not just use the whole 626 tranny?? :confused2:
any particular year for the tranny moon?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

kast2L wrote:
Mooneggs wrote:maybe this is obvious... why not just use the whole 626 tranny?? :confused2:
any particular year for the tranny moon?
Franko's a 4cyl, so he can't bolt it up, but he can use the internals.

For the V6 guys, Mx-6/626/Priobe '93 and up
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

ah got it... I'm a n00b when it comes to transmissions... sorry for interrupting here :oops:

Return to “Transmissions”