amplifer altenator issues help !!!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
frontpage

amplifer altenator issues help !!!

Post by frontpage »

hi there ok i got myself 2 nice jbl touring amps !! lot's of power now the problem turns out each amplifier draws max 68-69 amps and i am guessing there pulling about 40 to 60 amps total on average... !!! with my stock altenator bla well tried them out and well they brown out the car like mad and well just don't have the power they need. The altenator is one year old rebuilt from store so should be doing ok there.
I have a 5 farad competitive cap and a full size battery oh a note there ok for the first little bit with battery but not for very long. When the battery is fully charged it runs down pretty fast then the power problem any one know any easy mod's from other car's with bigger altenators or am i looking at expensive re:wrap/upgrade to go about 150 to 200 amps any idea's help !!!!
Last edited by frontpage on May 24th, 2009, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is a BILLION.....???

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend:
A billion seconds ago it was 1959, and I was a teenager!
A billion minutes ago B.C. became A.D.
A billion hours ago our ancestors were apes.
A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
Thassodar

Re: amplifer altenator issues help !!!

Post by Thassodar »

First tip: Puntuation. Use it.

Second tip: Get an Optima Yellow Top battery. I got mine for $231.10 from AutoZone, I probably could have gotten it cheaper online. Helps with power draw, it's a dry cell battery, and you can play a whole movie with the volume almost maxed out and crank the car up perfect (I did that during the new Fast and Furious movie at a drive-in theater).

Third tip: Make sure your cap was charged properly. When you got your cap it should have came with a tiny capacitor. You were SUPPOSED to connect the power inbetween the tiny capacitor and the cap until the tiny capacitor popped. When it popped that meant the big capacitor was fully charged. Otherwise you're using the cap at the level it was at when you originally bought it.

Fourth tip: Go to rockauto.com. They have alternators on there that are (I think) 100-140 amps. You can get a 100 amp one for around $170 last I checked.

Mods should probably move this to car audio/alarms.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
frontpage

Post by frontpage »

opps sorry re punctuation my bad. and sorry wrong spot sigh yup did the resistor to charge the cap not nuts was told buy friends and alot of reading they can help your stereo if lacking the amps (ie: bandaid solution) but they let loose power fast and can cause serious problems letting that juice out into your body lol. ok rockauto.com is usa, rockauto.ca canada looked on the .ca side they have nothing it is all email and we will let you know sort of thing from the looks of it. was hoping to find here in canada to avoid duties etc might see on us rockauto then email canadian side thanks for info .. will try them. Will look into yellow top battery .. but wow that will have to wait for next pay day ,, lol and if that was us dollars guessing there crazy expensive here sigh thanks for your time
What is a BILLION.....???

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend:
A billion seconds ago it was 1959, and I was a teenager!
A billion minutes ago B.C. became A.D.
A billion hours ago our ancestors were apes.
A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Winnipeg! sweet.

You can get the stock altys rebuilt upto 140 I think. If not, most Maz alternators interchange. MPV runs 90 ampers.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”