MX6 lsd trans in a GS? CV joints ok? Answer - YES (sort of)

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
ganue
Supporting Member

MX6 lsd trans in a GS? CV joints ok? Answer - YES (sort of)

Post by ganue »

Can anyone confirm that a mx6 lsd trans will work with the mx3 GS CV joints? Splines and lengths ok?

Update 21 July 2009 - since the starter on the trans is labled a KL36, I am assuming the LSD trans is from a JDM MX-6 but I don't know....anyway the LSD trans DOES work in the MX-3 - read on....it took some time, reading, and great contacts to figure it all out - which it is...
Last edited by ganue on July 22nd, 2009, 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
ganue
Supporting Member

Re: MX6 lsd trans in a GS? CV joints ok?

Post by ganue »

Bump!!! Engine and trans will be delivered next week - just looking for anyone with experience here....some say it doesn't work, some says it does...some say the Eastern Europe version is bad but the JDM MX-6 is ok....anyone....???
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
progt91
antispam: No

Post by progt91 »

honestly i wish i can help you out. if you find out let us know.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

you should do a search for posts by "yoda" he is a tranny guru

also try searching for "lsd" and click topics instead of posts...
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you'll need custom axles...
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I think as long as you keep the transmission side part of the axles, you can build yourself some axles that fit the mx3. ive done it in other cars and Imhoping its the same for the mx3. So as long as the part of the axle aka the boot, that goes in the transmission is there, you can possibly fit our mx3 shafts.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

found it http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... t=lsd+axle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was right :D

so if the transmission did not come with atleast the half shaft and the inner boot...eee you are screwed.. ?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Thanks....getting closer to an answer...I'll know more once the trans is delivered. What I'm hoping for is someone to say - no prob - get the inner from an XXX and use the MX-3 outers and you are good to go!!! Like you said, if the inners come with the trans I'm golden...otherwise.....I'll be counting splines and measuring lengths...

I paid the premium under the assumption that the trans is correct for the car knowing that I risk having to weld up a custom set of halfshafts....just wish I knew where to find the inners.....

Nonetheless I will document this for good to put to rest the theories.....

GG

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

patdiesel has the lsd... Your going to need custom work :)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

keep us posted
-hec

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Depends, I believe Yoda stated there are 2 LSD trans, the one that has our spline count, and the other that's not, and he also said importers found this out and charger a premium for the good ones.

I think the Mx-6 trans will work, I believe it's the Lantis LSD trans that won't....
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Actually I've talked to a few guys in Malaysia and the Lantis lsd will fit, axles and all.

Most people forget the Lantis, and the Mx-3 are basically the same exact car, it just has 4 doors lol

ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Good info guys. What remains is transmission roulette. I'll let you know what I get....

At least for the US cars, there is a VIN tag on the trans that matches the original vehicle VIN. If it's there I'll post it so someone can decipher the vehicle source.

I know I haven't seen a VIN decoder ring on the list.

For reference, here's a pic of the factory MX-3 mnaual trans half shaft inner (trans side) splines:

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

OK here's the update for everyone....not completely done yet but here's the plan:

1) Spline count between the stock and LSD transmission are the same so let's put that to rest - at least for the trans I got.
2) Driver's side halfshaft fits fine. However, I do not believe the circlip is properly seated in the void in the transmission. We'll see how fast, if at all, the trans fluid is lost.
3) Passenger side intermediate shaft, fortunately, is laterally located by the three bolts to the engine block so there is not a circlip in the transmission. The problem is that the chamfer on the outboard side of the spline end bottoms out on the spline in the trans about 3mm short of being able to get the three bolts through the non-rotating bearing mount to the transmission. This point on the shaft is far from the seal surface so, i will be grinding the chamfer to allow about 3mm more of spline interface. This moves the intermediate shaft inboard to allow the bolts to the engine block to line up. Then all should be good.

Comments anyone? This IS NOT DONE YET but I'll post and let you know if it works....or...I'll be looking for another stock intermediate shaft to try something else...

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Here's the problem as I see it. If you grind/turn the shaft down to the outer diameter of the splined portion the splines in the side gear of the diff will still interfere with the shaft. If you grind/turn the shaft down to the root diameter of the splined portion you will be significantly weakening it.

If your OD is ~28mm the ID of the side gear it slides into will be clearance fit for the root diameter of the splines. So the section of the shaft that you grind/turn down will have to be the same diameter as the root diameter in order to clear the ID of the side gear. You will be making the part of the shaft which experiences the most torque significantly thinner.

It will not last long in my opinion.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Transmissions”