[GI] Part Out - My '92 Mx-3

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

[GI] Part Out - My '92 Mx-3

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I know this isn't the right section, but this is a semi-serious post until I decide further, and this will be more of a discussion than anything since I'm not posting prices nor putting anything "on hold" for anyone at this time.

Honestly, I never wanted to be the person who stops on a project before finishing it, but it's better than someone to finishes a project than sells it before getting a chance to truely enjoy it. It's not an easy decision. I've had the Mx-3 for over 7 years now. She's my first car, she's given me alot; experience that's given me jobs, found a common ground with my dad, made many friends and connections and honestly, helped me find my place in this crazy world and given me a purpose. Even with a broken motor, she got me to Toronto and back to win a nice big first place trophy at ImportFest, she was a great car.

I'm literally the only active member of the Toronto/Ontario Mx-3 club that predates (barely) the club's existance, and I'm sure many are shocked to read that I'm thinking of selling her, but on the other hand, you're probably not surprised either. It's come down to many things. I'm sure many are curious to know why I haven't really progressed work wise on the Mx-3 is because I literally have to give the government $8000 in taxes this year (Income Tax & GST). Now, I'm not selling this stuff of to pay this, cause I have the cash, barely, but I had it all saved up and was quite ahead of the game financially, until this past December where I was basically out of work for 4 months...so now I'm so far 5 months behind on the planned progress on the Mx-3 which I really can't spend anything since I'm on a limited/indefinite contract, so I can be laid off at a moments notice. I'm looking for other jobs, I've had an interview this past Friday, so I'm keeping my fingers cross. Another curveball was the condition of the underbody and the front end, it's not doing well. She's not unsafe, but it's alot of work to keep it from getting worse. If I factor in either fixing all the body, which won't be cheap, or even finding a new shell, which i'd have to get repainted to the color I want anyway. I'm looking around $3000 (at least) for that, plus $2000 for the pistons and crank I want, plus the ferrea valves, plus all the headwork, block sleaving, getting everything balanced, I'm going to have to spend $10'000 just to get an Mx-3 back on the road, so what probably wouldn't happen until next year and that's not including the other mods I wanted to do. This is on top of a car I've spend over $20'000 on...so I'm on the tipping point, I either go all in and go for broke (literally) or I fold, cut my losses and move on.

I'm not selling her to get something more "functional" cause I've already got the Xterra, I'll probably be another sports car. Leaning towards an LHD FD Rx-7, maybe a Miata and boost it, maybe a 2-Door RS Subaru and do an STI swap on it, maybe put a nice down payment on a 2010 Speed3, I don't know. Part of this post is as a warning, for those who want parts, to save up the cash since it'll mostly be a first-come-first serve basis. I don't want to play the game of people asking me to put stuff to the side while they get the cash, cause I just get screwed that way and I'm not playing that game. Maybe a week, maybe two if I'm really busy.

Current mods listed here, but isn't the entire list of all the parts I have, but I'm working on a list which I'll post in a few days.
http://410motorsports.ca/projects/mx3/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
onlytrueromeo

Re: [GI] Part Out - My '92 Mx-3

Post by onlytrueromeo »

:( This sucks! You're def. one of the most senior members here, and havin to sell your car now would SUCK! I def. want a bunch of the parts you have, but if I call dibs then you will sell them, so no one should buy any of your stuff so you're forced to keep the mx3!
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Very sad news, your MX-3 is a classic one that stands out in my mind and I can't imagine it being parted out, very sad :cry:
Of course if you do I would be very interested in your side skirts.
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Mike,

I know from meeting you and reading your posts that you really truly love your car...the way I do. I look at mine and all the little troubles I'm having and having to sell my bike to pay to do all this stuff and I wonder too if it's worth it. My heart is actually breaking at the thought of selling my bike, but that's another issue.

In the end you have to do what's best for your life, not for your car.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

another sad day for the mx-3 community :crying:
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Sad day for sure.. Senior members are disappearing left and right. But life is more important then a car. Sometimes you gotta make tough choices like this.

If you do decide to part, I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem selling parts, but its definately sad to hear this is happening.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be the right choice!

Jordan
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Ohhh man tell me about it, senior members dropping like flies, all cause of this stupid recession. Mike, I'm glad I got to meet you while you're still an active member of the club (and will hopefully continue to be) but it's a shame I won't get to see your MX-3 face to face. In any case, I hope the best for ya and that everything turns out well in the end. Keep your head up.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

:(............

Now I have lost Ian from the club and now you......still miss Ian alot...........just so you know how much I'll miss you.

I understand the position that you are in......

Yep you have been here the longest...........................I've been here since 2004.........

HEYYYYYYYYYYY you can't go yet................I have to get you to take the back seat out again and put the other ones in........

Michel..................hugs to you........

Don't worry I know where you live..............lmao...............I think...LOL

DEB :wink:
New owner of a "2008 Tiburon GT"
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Why can't it just sit in a garage? Take it all apart, scrap the frame and wait for a perfect body to come along... But I can imagine how you may want to move on after so many years experience with a single car. Together and alone this forum could run the MX factories 13-20 years ago.

Best of luck, whatever you wind up doing.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Selecta

Post by Selecta »

Holy Jeeebus bro...I had not idea...and I only find out you are parting out when I tell you mine is on the block as well?

Probably going to leverage your site to put the items...it's too bad I never got the chance to get anything in tot he car but collected everything :(

Well I'll touch base with you tonight or something and we can work something out ... this totally freaking sucks.
Friends are just enemies who lack the testicular fortitude to kill you.

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

Oh you too Uday.........3 of my guys leaving ... :( . This is getting hard to take...

I'm selling mine too................BUT GETTING ANOTHER MX.........SIGH.........

DEB
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

mymx.3 wrote:Oh you too Uday.........3 of my guys leaving ... :( . This is getting hard to take...

I'm selling mine too................BUT GETTING ANOTHER MX.........SIGH.........

DEB
How come you're selling it??
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mymx.3
Supporting Member

Post by mymx.3 »

Sent you a message.

DEB
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Thanks for the comments guys.

Well, can't totally blame the economy, I'd more likely be in the same situation, just with a larger stack of engine parts and maybe some head and block work done. I guess if that was the case I'd be more inclined to stick with the Mx3 since I would have less upcomming expendentures on it. I guess it's just as you get older, and probably with a combination of the way I am, I'm just looking at this a bit differently, wanting to get the most fun out of what I'm putting my money into, what what ever decision I make, I don't want to regret it. I guess I started thinking seriously about moving on when I went to look at another Mx-3 a few weeks ago. It's a one-owner and in great shape, barely winter driven all of it's life, but it still has some rust spots that would need to get patched up. To find anything in better condition is going to be alot harder. I don't know if anyone had ever had a car that was broken and off the road for a serious length of time, but your mind wanders with other options, and if it's worth it to continue or not.

I'm sure there's no one on this site that would say they never wanted an FD, but those are always scary to get because of their cost, reliability, fuel economy and high-maintenance. But I'm 28, I still have my very first car, the car I got in my second year of college, do I still want to be driving this car when I'm in my 30's? I'm not looking for something more functional, I've got an "SUV". I'm not hurting for cash, I'm not selling it to pay off debts or as a down payment for a house. You can't say I'm doing this what's best for my life, cause cars IS my life. As well, the Mx-3 is apart of me and who I am, and it's how people know me....even people I know recognise my car by it's sound and they're not even enthousiats, it is hard to give up on something that is synanymous with me. And I am proud of what I've accomplished with her.

My dad's got a friend that has a guy that does professional restauration...they'll probably take a look at her Friday or Saturday, but I stopped by to get my batteries yesterday and found more serious rust spots un the fender under the side skirts. However sifting through the autotrader yesterday, I realised that my dream car is within reach...so if things go well job wise, I may splurge and go that way; makes me kinda excited actually.

Mooneggs & Wytbishop, I'm sorry about being undecided on those parts, I just don't know what I want to do yet, but I also don't want to pass up those parts...If I do keep with the Mx-3, I definitely want them, but I can't have you guys hanging forever either...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Thanks for the comments guys.

Well, can't totally blame the economy, I'd more likely be in the same situation, just with a larger stack of engine parts and maybe some head and block work done. I guess if that was the case I'd be more inclined to stick with the Mx3 since I would have less upcomming expendentures on it. I guess it's just as you get older, and probably with a combination of the way I am, I'm just looking at this a bit differently, wanting to get the most fun out of what I'm putting my money into, what what ever decision I make, I don't want to regret it. I guess I started thinking seriously about moving on when I went to look at another Mx-3 a few weeks ago. It's a one-owner and in great shape, barely winter driven all of it's life, but it still has some rust spots that would need to get patched up. To find anything in better condition is going to be alot harder. I don't know if anyone had ever had a car that was broken and off the road for a serious length of time, but your mind wanders with other options, and if it's worth it to continue or not.

I'm sure there's no one on this site that would say they never wanted an FD, but those are always scary to get because of their cost, reliability, fuel economy and high-maintenance. But I'm 28, I still have my very first car, the car I got in my second year of college, do I still want to be driving this car when I'm in my 30's? I'm not looking for something more functional, I've got an "SUV". I'm not hurting for cash, I'm not selling it to pay off debts or as a down payment for a house. You can't say I'm doing this what's best for my life, cause cars IS my life. As well, the Mx-3 is apart of me and who I am, and it's how people know me....even people I know recognise my car by it's sound and they're not even enthousiats, it is hard to give up on something that is synanymous with me. And I am proud of what I've accomplished with her.

My dad's got a friend that has a guy that does professional restauration...they'll probably take a look at her Friday or Saturday, but I stopped by to get my batteries yesterday and found more serious rust spots un the fender under the side skirts. However sifting through the autotrader yesterday, I realised that my dream car is within reach...so if things go well job wise, I may splurge and go that way; makes me kinda excited actually.

Mooneggs & Wytbishop, I'm sorry about being undecided on those parts, I just don't know what I want to do yet, but I also don't want to pass up those parts...If I do keep with the Mx-3, I definitely want them, but I can't have you guys hanging forever either...

so who the hell am i gonna harass for questions if you leave?!?

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”