Rotary?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Yosev

Rotary?

Post by Yosev »

I don't much about the engine bay in the mx-3... but would/what rotary would fit in the mx-3... i konw i know... Mazda rotary engines only are rwd... but i can do that if i was to put that much time anyhow.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Rotary?

Post by Ryan »

search man. there's a good topic going on right now.

As a rule of thumb, this forum doesn't like that idea. Its way too hard, and not cost effective. You don't get more power, the KLDE/ZE (plus T) puts down the most for the least money.

It is indeed a winner in the "cool factor"

search "Rotary Again" I think thats the thread title.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Robx1r

Post by Robx1r »

Jaysus lads no need to start a flame war, and as for the no increase in power???? :shock: :shock: :shock: a standard 13b would give you an extra 150bhp and its lighter than a k8/klze
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Robx1r wrote:Jaysus lads no need to start a flame war, and as for the no increase in power???? :shock: :shock: :shock: a standard 13b would give you an extra 150bhp and its lighter than a k8/klze
Depending on the porting and/or turbo, but you can make over 300N/A on a rotary, but you can make the same power from a turbo KL as you can from a turbo 13b...all comes down to money. You also add weight to an Mx-3 making it RWD, so that may even the power-to-weight ratio with the added modifications and RWD system for the rotary.

A 13b+turbo weight the same as an LS1
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Image

BbbLLaaaaaaahhhhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahha
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

lol at the diagram!

Indeed 13Bs pile on the pounds with accessories, gearbox, cast iron manifolds, rear diff etc probably not much in it. Drivetrain loss increased too. But I still love the project idea and hope it goes well! I'd be happy to sacrafice some power for RWD, it can always be improved!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Robx1r

Post by Robx1r »

plus ya get the "BARP BARP BARP BARP" sound and for say €10k into a 13b you'll happily see 650+ but for a k sieres you'd be lookin at 350 maybe 400
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

Robx1r wrote:plus ya get the "BARP BARP BARP BARP" sound and for say €10k into a 13b you'll happily see 650+ but for a k sieres you'd be lookin at 350 maybe 400
you can do anything if you have enough money
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

also why rotary? you can pick up a 7mgte motor from a importer for x amount of dollars, this way you dont have to have a crappy rotary engine but you can easily make 600 horse with stock internals, and you have a excellent starting point. you also get the bonus of fitting a toyota engine into a mazda.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I keep saying: V8 conversion! Lets put an 7.3L into this baby! spin tires in any gear, just by shifting!
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

projectzemx3 wrote:also why rotary? you can pick up a 7mgte motor from a importer for x amount of dollars, this way you dont have to have a crappy rotary engine but you can easily make 600 horse with stock internals, and you have a excellent starting point. you also get the bonus of fitting a toyota engine into a mazda.
The 7M is a terrible motor, never seen one that wasn't having head gasket problems. I've never had a problem whatsoever with my "crappy" rotary engine and I've been DD my FD for over a year and a half, its all owner dependent with these engines. If you treat the car like crap it will return the favor, if you love it and maintain it, you get that treatment in return.

I'm gonna go out and say this again also: I think the best bet for a RWD swap would really be the 2JZ, its been done in Probe GTs already and that car has a nearly identical engine bay as the MX-3. And it would definitely be worthwhile because of the power potential that engine has. I could really see the 2JZ being put into an MX-3 fairly easily if someone would invest the time and money into it.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

There was a V8 MX-3 thread I just saw it a few days ago. I think Mooneggs posted it from the AU forum. Totally awesome. I'd do that way before I'd do a rotary.

I'm still planning my dual ZE car in one of the less busy parts of my brain...way at the back...where I used to think about sex before I was married.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Illa Killa wrote:
projectzemx3 wrote:also why rotary? you can pick up a 7mgte motor from a importer for x amount of dollars, this way you dont have to have a crappy rotary engine but you can easily make 600 horse with stock internals, and you have a excellent starting point. you also get the bonus of fitting a toyota engine into a mazda.
The 7M is a terrible motor, never seen one that wasn't having head gasket problems.
7MGtE is bullet proof aside from the BHG issue. One should be upgrading to and hks HG if they are doing a swap anyways. My brother's supra is hittin damn near 500whp on stock internals.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:
Illa Killa wrote:
The 7M is a terrible motor, never seen one that wasn't having head gasket problems.
7MGtE is bullet proof aside from the BHG issue. One should be upgrading to and hks HG if they are doing a swap anyways. My brother's supra is hittin damn near 500whp on stock internals.
Thats the same thing I've heard about them but dont know anyone that has a decent running 7m in person. And I know alot of people that have/had 7Ms but never met anyone with a good running one, I'm gonna have to research them better cause my brother wants an MK3 Supra eventually.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”