235/40 17" possible on the MX-3?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
DJsMX-3

235/40 17" possible on the MX-3?

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Hello everyone!

I just got my summerrims refurbished, theyre 17 x 8" ET 35

I used to run 215/45 17 on them, but i want maximum tyrewidth, to protect the polished edge of my rims better..

225/40 17 would be the perfect tyre, but i cant get that size and the rim is 225 wide itself and i want some rubber to protect my edge!

235/40 17 is possible to get and i think it would be good with 5mm extra rubber on the sides for protection..

BUT

Will they fit without rubbing and spacers?
Anyone running this tyresize?

Please let me know, hoping to get some info from thoose who have tryed or are running this size :wink:

Thanks Dennis
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
solo_ryder

Re: 235/40 17" possible on the MX-3?

Post by solo_ryder »

They will most likely rub the strut. If you run spacers ur gonna rub ur fender. I am noit sure if you are lowered or not, but I am not sure if that tire size is a good idea. 225 40 17 would be better or 215 40 17.. 45 series is to large
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

I also run 215/45/17 with a 7 inch rim, They rub only at full turn.... but you can't fit a 235 on the MX3 there is no way you either run into the fender or the strut.... Not to mention it will look like poo, How wide is your rim like 9 inch wide???
I just would'nt hug the curbs :shrug:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Bigb22

Post by Bigb22 »

colin is right and trust me i work in the tire business. your tires are going to rub and there going to cup which means th esecond you hit a pot hole or something with enough force may cause your tire to blow or un seat its self from the rim and you'll get a poo balance to. Trust me over sized tires only look good on a off road vehicale and an mx3 is not made to be that even though half th eguys at my work keep saying why dont you turn it into a 4x4 lol
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

solo_ryder Im lowered 35-40mm and i dont think i want to go much lower, because i want to put my Combat front bumper on..
I have never bottomed out and allways drive accordingly to the conditions, i would do the 225/40 17´s but i cant get that size :|
215/40 17 may be the only way, but the rims are 225 wide, so the edge of my rims will be fairly unprotected :confused2:

colinsmx3 Like i said 8 inches wide and off course a 215 tire looks god on a rim that is only 7 inches wide, thats why i want a wider tire because it will fit the rim better :wink:

Dont know the ET on your rims or how much you are lowered, but it will affect if you rub or not.
I had full clearance everywhere with 17x8 ET 35 with 215/45 17's on..

Bigb22 Hmm maybe im seeing something wrong here, in a perfect world i would like my tires to sit like |____|
If i run 235 my tires would sit like /____\ and if i run 215 they would sit like \_____/
Im thinking that the 215´s would unseat itself more easily, because the tire is stretched outwards and the 235 will be very well seated because the tire is a little wider than the rim and the lip will keep the tire from un-seating outwards??

Youre in the business, so please elaborate why a stretched out tire will give me better balance, than a tire thats a little wider than the rim? :)

In my head it would be the other way around, so if you could explain i would appreciate it..
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

On a sidenote..

I was considering buying the Falken FK-452 but i just stumbled across something on the net, mentioning that the Falken tires are smaller compaired to other tires with the same width, anyone know if this is true??

Maybe i should go with the Yokohama S.Drive instead, but theyre more expensive and i dont know if theyre wider or not, but i like them allso..
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

I am lowerd the same as you.... and here is what my car looks like with the 215-45-17 on it.... I tuck a bit in the rear and sit perectly at the fender at the front... So you will have to cut ure fenders out and make flares to fit tires that big.....
You asked the question... got the answer... I say if you don't beilive us then try it and see what happens. :shrug:

Photo curticy of Bigb22!
ImageImageImage
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Colin if thats your car on the pic, youre sitting much lower than me :o
Allso youre running a smaller rim and probertly a diffrent offset?

My rims doesnt sit inside the wheelwell like yours, but go to the edge of the fender and have never rubbed or bottomed out or hit the fender or anything with 215/45 17..

But i cant do 235´s without atleast 5 or 10mm spacers, because i need the clearance towards the strut..

This post was to find out if anyone has real experience with 8" rims at 35 ET with wide tires and maybe spacers, so no need to get upset, im just saying that our setups cant be compaired as you do :)
But thank you for your answer.

I just hoped to gather some info, allso so that others in the future could find it in this post..

The only quality double centered spacer i could find is 10mm sadly and that would be illegal here :(
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Any spacer is not good on a car... there not reliable.

Yes thats my car but it's lowered only 1.8 inch which is around 35-40mm same as you say....

The rim is a 17 same as yours but with a 40 offset and 7 inch wide.... I would like to see what yours looks like on the car now.. I just don't think it will look right at all. :shrug:
ImageImageImage
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

colinsmx3 wrote:Any spacer is not good on a car... there not reliable.

Yes thats my car but it's lowered only 1.8 inch which is around 35-40mm same as you say....

The rim is a 17 same as yours but with a 40 offset and 7 inch wide.... I would like to see what yours looks like on the car now.. I just don't think it will look right at all. :shrug:
What do you mean by not reliable?

I just bought some 15mm spacers to fit my new big brake kit... is there something I don't know? :shock:
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Well are you going to extend the studs?? I just know shortening the studs by adding spacers is not a good idea it's like loosing strength. :?
ImageImageImage
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

maybe he has spacers like these?

colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Yea those are no better.... those just scare me... Your now adding alot more strain on the original studs.. :shrug:
ImageImageImage
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

As long as you get a good quality spacer, with double centering "centering to the hub and the rim" you will be just fine..
Its the ET you have to be aware of, a low ET will be harder on your wheelbearings.

For example if your rims are ET 45 like stock, the 15mm spacers would put you at ET 30.

I have been running ET 35 for many years and never replaced a wheelbearing yet...

But a 15mm spacer would require longer studs or that you shorten them and bolt the rim to the spacer instead, but use high quality stuff http://www.hrsprings.com/products/trak/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :wink:
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

I got the 15mm H&R DRS spacers with replacement studs. I'm planning to change my bearings at the same time.. :/

My SSR Comp-C's have a 40mm offset, so I gets that sets me back to 25. Well, if I start smokin' my bearings I'll just buy some 17" wheels.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”