This is why I don't trust most "service stations" and such..

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Dark_Rider2k3

This is why I don't trust most "service stations" and such..

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I really needed to get my summer tires on and get the winters off, but up @ work we have been swamped and I didn't want to ask him for the help and slow the work down, so 3 weeks ago I went and got the tires done @ firestone. Cost me about.. 30 to 40.. somewhere around there.. would have been cheaper if I bought the tires from them. Took a little bit to get the car in, but no complaints there.

I drove the car home and all seemed fine.. then one night I hit something and got a flat tire.. the tire went flat pretty dang quick... in fact I was surprised at how quick it went flat.. I didn't drive too far.. less than a mile.. and the tire was completely flat before I got home :| . So I parked it, and in the morning I carefully drifted it down the hill onto the flat pavement so I could work on it.

I went to take the tire off.. and what to my surprise? The bolts came off by my hand!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I was not only shocked, but scared... a few days ago I had to make a really sharp turn and did it with a pretty good amount of force.. and was amazed after seeing this that my tire didn't fly off. On top of that I was @ the drag races and did a few runs for the heck of it (18.5 seconds FTW :lol: ). So after seeing this.. I was not pleased at all.. both fronts came off this easily with no force needed so... very upset..

I first went to firestone to tell them about it.. they didn't seem to care figures... they only had to say that they couldn't fix my tire issue.. completely ignored my problem with them doing a lazy, crappy, horrible job.. so I took it down to work and we fixed it..

now, as per my other post, they may not have even balanced them.. go figure.

If indeed they did not balance them, then I'm seriously going back and b----ing them out in front of everyone.. I'll definitely make sure that everyone can hear.

but yeah, I figured it'd be interesting to see if any of you have similar stories and such.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: This is why I don't trust most "service stations" and such..

Post by Daninski »

Alloy wheels should be retorqued a couple weeks after install from what I've been told. I check all work before I ever drive away from any garage. I owned a brand new Toyota SR5 4Runner. At 4000k buddy does an oil change and didn't tighten the oil filter. I recheck things in the parking lot and notice this. Manager said oh well mistakes happen. I said "no imcompetence happens" Called him a few unflattering names and left. I deal with an excellant garage now Quinte West Automotive. Just all around great people to deal with. They like me too, I always pay cash. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Daninski wrote:Alloy wheels should be retorqued a couple weeks after install from what I've been told. I check all work before I ever drive away from any garage. I owned a brand new Toyota SR5 4Runner. At 4000k buddy does an oil change and didn't tighten the oil filter. I recheck things in the parking lot and notice this. Manager said oh well mistakes happen. I said "no imcompetence happens" Called him a few unflattering names and left. I deal with an excellant garage now Quinte West Automotive. Just all around great people to deal with. They like me too, I always pay cash. :)
I didn't know that about alloy wheels. Unfortunately, this was only 2 days after.

I guess I got relaxed as usually my stuff is done @ my workplace.. and the guy I'm working for is amazing.. he knows his s---, and always goes out of his way to make sure that the customer is satisfied and, most importantly, safe.. he has refused on a couple of occasions to inspect someones car due to the rust.. and he won't do waivers on emissions.. he would rather someone be safe then sorry..
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Pretty much same thing happened with my dad at a local Ford dealership, they forgot to tighten down most of the lugnuts. Now he doesn't go there anymore. :lol:
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I also work at a dealership and get to do all my own work... its excellent. Saved me hundreds.

One of the newer members posted a story in the Fail thread about something like this, except his tire actually bounced away on him. The good part is, they replaced his entire front susp because it was all wrecked from skidding to a halt on the rotor.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

well that's good that they replaced everything. But dang.. can you imagine how scary that must be?
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Losing an entire wheel? Yeah, fun times...happened to me too. I have a pretty good idea who was responsible too...

Probably costed Kal-tire less to replace the damaged components than it was if he went public with it...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I told them I'd call Global Television, and get the "Trouble Shooter" on their asses, in jest of course. I've dealt with Kal since I got my first MX, and generally they are very good and will find you something cheaper and tell you where to go if they can't do it for you. But when you take your car to a high volume shop, especially just to swap rims and they get their 'just hired' guy to do it because everyone else is busy, they bring it on themselves. P.S. He was let go....
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Only person that works on my cars is me, or someone I know personally who is a good mechanic. I do all the work possible myself.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”