Headers

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
RyansMX3

Headers

Post by RyansMX3 »

I have read through the threads about modding your K8 only if you are going to swap to a klze, due to not having the best gains on the K8. Which I agree makes total sense, I plan to swap to the KL purchased Intake and am wanting to purchase headers for after when I do the swap. I was just wondering will the headers purchased for the KL fit the K8. If so what kind do you guys recommend, also maybe where to find them. Price is not an issue , I am willing to pay for a quality product! Thanks in advance.......
1992 GS, Full body Kit Costum shaved, Crazy Stereo, 17" rims, Insane shaved hood!!!!!!! Too much Too list!!
johnmx3ze

Re: Headers

Post by johnmx3ze »

kl headers will fit the k8...
you can find some on ebay...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

the ebay ones i got r really nice i paid like 160 for shipping until i went to the muffler place and had to pay another 180 to custom put them on
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

When ever in doubt about parts swapping over between kl and k8 always remember they are essentially the same motor. Different displacement because of a larger bore and stroke. But externally anything that bolts to a kl will bolt to a k8 and vice versa. Exhaust, intake, timing components, motor mounts, tranny, etc.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You got hosed on the install buddy. Headers will be out by a bit. Bolt them to your engine then man handle the cross member into connecting them both. No biggy. If a shop charged you $160 to install they hosed you. Why would you go to a shop to have them installed? Too easy to do it your self.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
klmx08

Post by klmx08 »

i bought obx headers from ebay for a mx6 v6 and they bolted up nice. the only thing i had to do was move my cat back about 5 inchs because of the mx6 being a longer car but other than that they work great
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I bought the $158 to your door ebay header kit it wasn't even close. I'm talkin, the rear flange was at least 20º off from bolting up to the y-pipe. it had to be cut off and about a 2" piece of tubing had to be welded in because the loop hit the oil pan. It also had to be bent in a couple of places to clear the shift linkage. Without Oxy-Acetylene it could not be done...and it's not my first rodeo.

I"m just sayin...not all the ebay headers are the same apparently.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
ramsen25

Post by ramsen25 »

same my flanges were offf by alot
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Similarly to WytBishop I had mine cut and welded to line up for the front Ypipe and the rear collector needed cut and welded to stop it rattling of my oil sump and boiling it. I was getting a full straight through exhaust at the time, so they did that for 'free' and made my decat fit as OEM cat. By free I mean the catback was a rip off, but at least I got that extra work done for the same original quote for just the catback.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Guess I got lucky then. Mine were fine, just needed to push a bit to get the cross over pipe to line up.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
RyansMX3

Post by RyansMX3 »

Thanks a lot guys for the info. I also was wondering I know that the headers won't improve much horse power on my K8, but will they hinder any performance? Also " Daninski" Do you remember what kind of headers you bought and from whome? Info would be great seeing as I can't find OBX and yours seemed to work fine......
Thanks in advance........
Ryan
1992 GS, Full body Kit Costum shaved, Crazy Stereo, 17" rims, Insane shaved hood!!!!!!! Too much Too list!!
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

I ve got a 94 and wanna do KLZE swap, i m intersested to know which headers work best since my original front log wont work. I m almost thinking of putting my original 1.8 k8 intake ect so everything will work ok. I can always upgrade later, when i figure out air intake, cpu ect.. :?
1994 GS 5 speed 1.8, fresh black paint, flowmaster muffler & Little smelly pine tree
1993 RS 5 speed SOHC with 89,000 original KMs! (rising fast though).
1994 RS 4 cyl auto- running parts car with 104,000 KMs

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”