Contemplating big brake kit

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
nightfire

Contemplating big brake kit

Post by nightfire »

Hey everyone,

I need some advice.

I just changed my rears for freshly rebuilt (and painted) calipers, and SS braided hoses. They're working beautifully now.

My fronts have just started seizing up, and my rotors and pads are just about shot. I'm still on the rubber hoses, and I had to use one of my front braided lines (from the kit) to replace one of the rears that was defective.

So, I'm looking at 2 new calipers, ss hoses, rotors, and pads.

Sounds like an opportunity, right? :)

Well, I've found a 12.75" KVR/Wilwood kit (similar to what was on corksport ages ago) for a great price, but I don't think it'll fit under my puny 16" SSR Comp-C's. I have a template and I'm going to go double check, but it doesn't look good. I love my wheels; if I bought this kit, could I justify replacing my 16x7 Comp-C's with 17x8's? I would like bigger tires ...

There's another option of the 12" Ksport kit, but it's almost twice the price ($2000), and the guy who is offering it can't do cross-drilled rotors (only slotted, which I don't want).

The guy selling the KVR/Wilwood setup is willing to machine my spindles to accept a different 12" KVR/Wilwood kit, but again the total price is approaching $2000CAD. I just don't think brake fade is that much of a problem for me.

Rebuilt stock calipers + pads + discs + SS lines.. I'm looking at around $600.

But, hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be laying down 300+ whp. Will the stock brakes, with decent pads and rotors be sufficient?

Sigh. I don't know what to do.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
projectzemx3

Re: Contemplating big brake kit

Post by projectzemx3 »

i have 4 new calipers and i bought the premium brake pads and rotors and i have to say last summer that car would stop on a dime, right now my booster is leaking slightly so my brakes suck, but oem replacement is good, i dont think i would benefit from a big brake kit for daily street driving, but it would look really good and be good for track use.

its money spent either way, if it was me i would just go with new calipers pads and rotors for stock.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Well, I decided to buy the 12.75" KVR/Wilwood setup. If they don't fit I'll slap on some 5mm or 10mm wheel spacers.
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Hey Nitefarter. There's a post where MX6 brakes were installed on the MX3. I'd include the link to it but I'm too lazy to search it. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Daninski wrote:Hey Nitefarter. There's a post where MX6 brakes were installed on the MX3. I'd include the link to it but I'm too lazy to search it. :)
bah.. don't tell me that now.. i just dropped $1k :p
- Gord
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

clubprotege has a big brake thread in the BG section. There's a post about RX-7 rear calipers and rotors for the rear and a Willwood setup from Flyin Miata that bolts right on.

There are a few reasonable options.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

projectzemx3 wrote:i have 4 new calipers and i bought the premium brake pads and rotors and i have to say last summer that car would stop on a dime, right now my booster is leaking slightly so my brakes suck, but oem replacement is good, i dont think i would benefit from a big brake kit for daily street driving, but it would look really good and be good for track use.

its money spent either way, if it was me i would just go with new calipers pads and rotors for stock.
so you just got oem calipers? because i got new brake pads and rotors and was thinking of changing it all once i put new springs and struts on.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Well, you only need to change your calipers if they're sticking.. and even then, regreasing them might be enough.

Changing pads and rotors is a lot faster and easier than changing the caliper, as getting those bolts off is a pain, and your brake hoses and bleeder valves may be seized or otherwise in bad shape. Plus getting that seal on the banjo bolt is a serious pain.
- Gord
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

wytbishop wrote:clubprotege has a big brake thread in the BG section. There's a post about RX-7 rear calipers and rotors for the rear and a Willwood setup from Flyin Miata that bolts right on.

There are a few reasonable options.
hmm.. aren't our rear calipers unique (not shared with protege)?
- Gord
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The 99' - 05' Miata Sport Suspension rear calipers and 10.9" rotors fit in a 15" wheel. All that is required is a 2-4mm spacer to center the caliper on the rotor. The ebrake cable position is slightly different however your ebrake cable will still work.

Then someone suggested a Willwood front kit to go with it and then someone posted a link to the Monster Miata big brake kit which uses Willwood fronts and RX-7 vented rears with all the brackets needed to fit a Miata...which would easily fit our MX-3. The RX-7 rears might require a little work to make the ebrake cable work.

Go to clubprotege and find the Rear Big Brake Upgrade thread in the BG brakes/suspension forum. It's all there.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

wytbishop wrote:The 99' - 05' Miata Sport Suspension rear calipers and 10.9" rotors fit in a 15" wheel. All that is required is a 2-4mm spacer to center the caliper on the rotor. The ebrake cable position is slightly different however your ebrake cable will still work.

Then someone suggested a Willwood front kit to go with it and then someone posted a link to the Monster Miata big brake kit which uses Willwood fronts and RX-7 vented rears with all the brackets needed to fit a Miata...which would easily fit our MX-3. The RX-7 rears might require a little work to make the ebrake cable work.

Go to clubprotege and find the Rear Big Brake Upgrade thread in the BG brakes/suspension forum. It's all there.
Oh wow. Thanks wytbishop... I'll go check it out. This sounds interesting. :)
- Gord
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

nightfire wrote:Well, you only need to change your calipers if they're sticking.. and even then, regreasing them might be enough.

Changing pads and rotors is a lot faster and easier than changing the caliper, as getting those bolts off is a pain, and your brake hoses and bleeder valves may be seized or otherwise in bad shape. Plus getting that seal on the banjo bolt is a serious pain.
wanted to get rid of the oem brake hoses and get the goodridge kit ones or should i stick wit the stock?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

SS brake lines will be slightly better than OE ones. If you are doing a full fluid change, changing pads and rotors as well, it might not be a bad idea to spring for some good brake lines. Make sure to flush your brakes well and get a high quality DOT3/4 brake fluid!
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Agreed ... change your fluid, and go with SS brake hoses. They make a noticeable difference in pedal feel, and hey - your rubber hoses are probably old and gunked up anyway. Last thing you want is for one of them to pop while you're driving.

Plus getting a good seal on an old fitting can be tough.
- Gord
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

nightfire wrote:Agreed ... change your fluid, and go with SS brake hoses. They make a noticeable difference in pedal feel, and hey - your rubber hoses are probably old and gunked up anyway. Last thing you want is for one of them to pop while you're driving.

Plus getting a good seal on an old fitting can be tough.
how tough would it be to install the brake hoses and aren't there hoses for the front and rear brakes but yea i get can the brake fluid really cheap from my man at pepboys because I'm doing suspension first before i drop a klze in it. Thanks for all the info fellas

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”