DE Swap ---- Axles?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdags94

DE Swap ---- Axles?

Post by mazdags94 »

As much of the info I have gathered to date by researching on this forum, I don't recall a definitive answer (prolly my error).

My question is, when swapping from a 94 K8 to a 93 DE from a Probe GT with Probe GT 5spd, can I use stock mx3 axles? The person I bought the engine from also gave me the Probe GT midshaft and passenger side axle (seperated). Basically, I need to know if I need to purchase new CV axles and if so, do I buy MX-3 or Probe GT, ------- or --------- do I need to have a passenger side axle frankensteined using the PGT midshaft and a mx3 axle?

Any help would be appreciated. I just received my Clutch Masters Stage I kit today and had my flywheel resurfacd so I am planning to swap the engine very soon! I just need to make sure I have the proper parts. (I'm also prepped with a 60 gallon air compressor and an Ingersol-Rand impact gun for the hub nuts).
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
angrygumball316

Re: DE Swap ---- Axles?

Post by angrygumball316 »

use the mx3 axles
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Thanks! Will i use the PGT midshaft at all or just swap everything over from the k8 on the passenger side?
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

you can use the pgt one. you might have too because some are 3 bolt and others are 2.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

projectzemx3 wrote:you can use the pgt one. you might have too because some are 3 bolt and others are 2.

Okay. So I use the PGT midshaft and the mx3 axle then? Or do I just go ahead and use the whole unit that came with the PGT (midshaft and axle)?

Also, I assume the drivers side axle can be used on the DE?

Just want to clarify is all. Thanks.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

If you want to use the PGT axles you should probably measure the axle lengths and diameters to make sure they fit. Probe GT might have different dimensions and the axles might not fit. It's probably best to use the MX-3 axles. Not sure about the midshaft.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I'm pretty sure either midshaft will work. I can't remember which car mine came from, but it's the three bolt midshaft. I think it's still the stock one from when I got the car.

As for axles, you have to use MX3 axles. The probe/mx6 axles are different.

EDIT: I can say for a fact that either midshaft will work. We recently used an MX3 midshaft on an MX6 with zero issues. The only differences are in the axles themselves.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Awesome. That's everything I needed to know. As always, I appreciate your help everyone.

Brian

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”