What to do next...Opinions please!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions

What should I do next?

Wheels and Tires! Get off your stupid All Weathers!
8%
Paint the damn car!
33%
Car-pc / megasquirt! Better mpg and hp! Woot!
25%
Buy your girlfriend "the" ring (hahaha)
17%
Save your money until you graduate in December
17%

Total votes: 12

onlytrueromeo

What to do next...Opinions please!

Post by onlytrueromeo »

My interior is coming along nicely. I am almost finished collecting the parts I need to finish it once the weather warrants. I have a set of mazdaspeed pedals on the way, I got a 94+ dash w/o airbag to replace my 92 style one, I have my leather door panels and seats in, and I am almost done w/ my headliner. I am currently looking for a mazdaspeed carbon shift knob, and will be buying a set of redline boots to match my interior/ SRD ebrake handle. I have chrome miata handles installed and I put in a new black carpet.

For exterior/engine parts, I have all near clear corners on their way, a polished manifold and throttle body, I have a CAI installed, and a ground wire kit I still have to install. I also have enough 0 gauge wire to redo the alternator to battery line. Have the new projector headlights and am almost done hooking up the halos. I plan to get some 4300 or 5000k HID's in the future and hide them. I also have an air horn setup I will be installing (sick of people cutting me off!)

Now here is the thing - I LOVE the inside of my car - and everyone that sits in it comments on it too. The only problem is that the outside of my car looks like poop! I cheaply rattle canned it w/ very little prep work just to cover the chipping paint that was on it before. There are are few small dents, 1 small rust spot (that I will be fixing myself once it gets warmer) and the paint is beginning to chip again. I Love doing things myself, but I don't have a garage and all painting has to be done outside. I also won't have the time this summer to try to paint the car myself (the right way).

So I can try to save up the $2000 to get the car painted professionally (big money cost :( ) I know the car would look amazing afterwards. I still havn't gotten the Mazdaspeed front bumper or rear wing yet, but I wouldn't be buying those until the rest of the car is DONE. I wouldn't mind waiting until I had a place to paint it myself (or attempt to - I could at least do prep work then) But it sucks driving a car that doesn't look that good.

Or I can do several other things:

Install a car PC! I've been planning on doing this since I got the car, I love the idea of having a car PC. I would hook it up to a megasquirt (don't have that yet) and add wireless internet/gps support along w/ a nice 7" touchscreen to run my 2 amps, 12" JL sub and polk momo speakers currently running off a headunit. So this will cost me roughly 1200-1500 for the megasquirt and the car pc stuff.

Or I could get a new set of rims/tires for the summer. I have narrowed my choices down to either RPF1's or 949 6ulr's (when they come out) This will be ~700-900 for the wheels, and 200-400 more for tires depending on what combination I choose).

I would LOVE to paint the car because it would just look so much better. It looks like a POS from the outside now so it's hard for me to show it off until people get in the car and go for a ride. However this also has its advantages. I don't have an alarm kit yet, and I plan to install one over the summer. Having a car that looks like a55 deters criminals! No one will want to steal it! :lol:

So do I choose the outside bling? The go fast tires? Or the inside bling w/ go fast computer?

Or should I save my money til I graduate and do nothing?
Evo_Spec

Re: What to do next...Opinions please!

Post by Evo_Spec »

keep it a sleeper for now, do paint when you get ur mazdaspeed stuff.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Flux capacitor and hover conversion...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I havn't gotten any tickets w/ the poor paint job :lol: My other mx3 which was a stock 4 banger had better paint and I got 2 tickets! (I don't really speed, I was driving through the mountains and apparently going 67 in a 55)

And I already have a capacitor that's visible from the back of the car. Flashes when my bass hits hard and draws current. LOL no hover conversion, I'll stick to my ground controls.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I forgot to add - Please add your reasons why you choose which option!
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

car PC and megaquirt. I wouldn't work on the outside until you finish the inside.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

Outside is the first thing you see man. Why would I care what the interior looks like if there are dents and spraycan marks all over it. Yuck :P
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Here is a picture of my car w/ the wheels and tires I have on it now...sorry its bad quality, it just always seems to be raining here! You can get an idea on the paint too. You can kinda see the paint chips/dents, but they aren't that visible from far away. The main problem is that the paint has no shine to it whatsoever. Didn't bother wetsanding or polishing or clearcoating because this is just temporary. Also my door jams arent painted, so theyre white lol.

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The order I did it in:

1- CarPC
2- Wheels & Tires
3- Graduate
4- Paint & Body Kit
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^ Haha that's almost the exact order I'm thinking! I'm piecing together carpc ideas now. I know you have one, so any input you could give me is great. I want to flush mount my screen though, for the OEM look. I will lose some of the functionality of it though...

I'm thinking of getting this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-ITX-Carputer-C ... 1|294%3A50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and adding a 30gb OCZ vertex and an Asus Xonar 7.1 soundcard.

For a screen I was thinking an 8" touchpanel that I'd remove from the case. They're supposedly better quality than most cheap lilliputs, and I need something that can survive below freezing.
http://www.onvon.com/inch-touch-screen- ... 53243aa575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total cost of all that is ~$700. Add another 200-300 for fusion brain, accelerometer, GPS, wifi and small stuff. I want it all. MegaSquirt would be the last thing I'd do.

I'm not 100% decided on the Car Pc route, but its the only thing I can do INSIDE the house over a slow period of time.

Wheels/Tires are the easiest thing though, lol just bolt them up. Who knows if I will even be able to go to the track this summer though w. the craziness my life has been :(

The problem with car pc is that the stuff easily gets outdated. I want a nice car setup that I won't regret a year down the road. The components I have listed about should be able to boot to a front end in under 40 seconds, probably faster with the SSD. The downside to buying an SSD now though is that I expect them to go back down in price by next winter. (SSD's are the only thing I will trust in the miserable north country weather) For the summer or when car is warm I could easily link a cheap 300+gb hard drive to it. If I install a cheaper HD now, I guess all I'd have to to is flash an image over to the SSD when I decide to get it. This would drive my cost down about $100 and net me 10x the storage space! (Though I'd lose the ruggedness) Seagate has a rugged series HD but its just slightly cheaper than the SSD I want and only 10gb more, so that's pointless.

Ugh...I wish it were easier! I have a tendency to research the hell out of things before I buy them (sometimes months before) and it takes up all my time! I want an EASY BUTTON!

**If I go the carputer route, I will also be looking for a different steering wheel than I am currently. I am thinking the new RX8 knob. Reason being is it has volume controls and extra buttons to control the stereo. I could map those directly to fusion brain and have car pc controls on the steering wheel!!!!!!! No need to remap the monitor buttons then!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Also, how neat would a HUD be! :love:

:) all in my dreams...and yet close to reality!
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Wow.. apparently I'm the only one to vote wheels n'tires so far. :)

I dunno about wheels, but I'd definitely go for some real summer tires. They define the handling characteristic of the car.

Get some General Exclaim UHPs (dirt cheap). You'll love em... trust me!

All 4 should run you less than $300USD.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

according to the poll the gf isn't getting the ring lol

all kidding aside, I think I would go with nice wheels and tires first.
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66481 - worklog
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72099 - feedback
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71757 - stuff for sale
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Also, how neat would a HUD be! :love:

:) all in my dreams...and yet close to reality!
I'll look into your CarPC into later, I just have a dozen minutes before I leave for work. I just wanted to say, for the HUD, I've been looking into doing that for probably 2 years....I've gotten a few ideas, but there's really not many options...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Heh, girlfriend can wait til I'm actually making money. I don't want to spend 1-2k on a ring when my car could use the money first :lol: We're actually planning to buy a house before we get married anyway, haha. Priorities!

I have thought about just getting tires put onto the wheels I have currently. If I can confirm that they are indeed 7" wide like I think they are, this is an option. The wheels I have now are heavy though, and I wanted a lightweight performance wheel. Hard to have your cake and eat it too!

As far as HUD's...yeah, its tough. I don't want just a tach or speedometer, I'd want sat navigation too...so you're right, not too many options as of yet. I've been reading into someones "night vision" project, but my computer won't nearly have the processing capability for object/motion detection! :) I want a car that runs on OBD1 or before for the simplicity, but everything attached to it must be high tech!! Hahaha...I'm such a nerd.

What if I got a Carpc and then just tires? Skip the wheels and megasquirt until I graduate?

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”