klze swap time!! (almost)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mccabe

klze swap time!! (almost)

Post by mccabe »

ok so before i get started you should know that i have a 92 gs and have done lots of searching i just waont a post that i can jump to on my phone if i need help. ok so what i know is that im ordering a curved neck kl not sure what year tho or if its OBD II or OBD I and i know that my cars a OBD I with a k801 ecu wich i understand is chipable right so far? and that if my ze is OBD II i have to spaw sensors and my harness but if its a OBDI i can just swap my harness and ether way i use my k8 vaf. any tips for the harness swap cause it seems impossable to not swap the harness
92 mx-3 gs,klde,spec stage II+ clutch,awr 88mounts, remaned axles,CAI,seven nipple ditsy, new alpine speakers,panasonic 7'' dvd deck ,10'' kicker l5, hei mod, removed air box. 17 sortmaxs 10 spoke white nexan n700 tires
now wrote off with a watermelon sized dent in the driver side quater panel

93 mx-3 gs black klze fully loaded
mccabe

Re: klze swap time!! (almost)

Post by mccabe »

ok so i have been reading some more and i found a klze kl36. so if i use my caf i have and by ths ecu will it work? and then i wont have to swap my harness!!!!!
92 mx-3 gs,klde,spec stage II+ clutch,awr 88mounts, remaned axles,CAI,seven nipple ditsy, new alpine speakers,panasonic 7'' dvd deck ,10'' kicker l5, hei mod, removed air box. 17 sortmaxs 10 spoke white nexan n700 tires

mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Yeah if you use the KL36 ECU and a JE50 MAF your good to go.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Your VRIS points will be wrong with a KL36 ECU, and not all K801's are chippable, apparently the older '92's aren't. And there's no such thing and a OBDI or II engine, you won't need to swap the harness, you might need to swap the coolant neck with you K8 one because newer motors only have 2 coolant sensors instead of the 3 you have. You won't be able to use the disty if it's OBDII. Everything else should plug in, unless I'm forgetting something.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

MadCow is correct. The engine is just an engine. The ECU is the only thing that controls whether a car conforms to the OBDI or OBDII standard. The practical differences are the number of temp sensors and the use of the cam angle sensor in the disty...as stated.

I am pretty sure that the KL36 ECU is the straight neck ZE ECU. The engine will run better than it would with the stock K801 you have, but a chipped ECU would be best. The chip also eliminates the need to change the coolant neck...or so it says on the Probinator's cardomain page.

I am still waiting for my chip to arrive so I may have to run my ZE with the stock ECU for a bit. Other than that I have everything I need and I will be doing the swap next weekend. I will post lots of pictures and as much detailed information as I can.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mccabe

Post by mccabe »

ok i see and one more question wytbishop did your engine come with a wiring harness on it already??? cause when i called jdm source today he told me that i wont come with one?

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It will likely come with the hacked up pieces of one. When they remove these engines, they're going for speed. The use torches to cut the motor mounts and axles and bolt cutters to cut the wire harness. It takes them about 10mins to remove one of these unless someone specifically asks for the harness.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
mccabe

Post by mccabe »

so if can get one with a harness cause he needs to import one will my k8 ecu plug in or any i might have to get anthor one? and the k8 harness is the same correct?

Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Why would you need one with the harness attached? The K8 harness is pretty much the same and should plug in if the wire lengths are the same.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
mccabe

Post by mccabe »

cus mimes not in the best shap

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You may be able to get a complete harness from one of the EBAY importers. They sometimes have engines for sale including the harness and ECU. It would not be cheap though.

Your alternative and a better plan I think is to take a harness from a Pick n Pull car. You might get lucky and find an uncut one.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
mccabe

Post by mccabe »

ok i found a new k8 harness so ill just unplug one and plug in the other so i shouldnt mess it up

SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

So there are like 3 of us doing this swap right now?
I can't wait to see what it feels like, what about you guys?
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Yeah I'm totally excited. My situation's a little strange though. I'm originally from Calgary, but I live in Edmonton now. About a 3hr drive north. The engine importer out here is in Calgary and a lot of my tools are still at my parents' place in Calgary so I am driving down there next weekend to pick up the engine, do the swap and drive home. I took the Friday and Monday off so I have basically 4 days to do everything. This is my daily driver, so I'm feeling a little pressure to anticipate all the problems I might have to try to avoid them. I feel pretty good about it, but still in the back of my head I'm a little nervous. I've done lots of engine swaps but never this one.

As of right now I'm still waiting for a couple of packages too. Nothing I can't work around, but a bit of a pain if they don't arrive in time.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
mccabe

Post by mccabe »

im not doing mine for like two months the acual swap but im building my engine as much as i can before tearing out the old one :welder: lol yea i cant wait im just worried about the wiring i have helped wit a bpt swap but it came witha harness and ecu so it was just plug and play but its supose to be harder swap so im not TOO woried but still nerves beacuse its my daily driver too 8)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”