"Eclipse" properly named!

Off-Topic Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

"Eclipse" properly named!

Post by fowljesse »

If you like the Mitsubishi Eclipse, you may not want to read this tyrade.

I have to vent about this, since I'm trying to sell one.
My girlfriend at the time, and now my best friend, sold her 626, and bought a brand new Eclipse in 2001. I warned, and even pleaded for her not to do it.
At the time, I knew very little about Japanese cars, and was firmly planted in the German Sport/ luxury car community. I knew this, though; her 626 was great. The styling was a little outdated (It was a '93, I think), but it ran great, and was comfortable with the cruise set at 90 for 150 miles to vegas, and California from Arizona.
However, the Eclipse was "Soooo Cute!". If there ever was a "Chick's car", this is it!
I had heard of problems with Mitsubishi, although I didn't even pay attention to Japanese cars at the time. I looked into it, and Consumer Reports, and other agencies weren't fond of it. I showed her some good cars in that price range, but she bought the Eclipse.
Right away, I noticed it's lack of pwer (I would have physicaly stopped her, if she tried to buy the turbo, or V6 model), and the turn radius is worse than my 33' RV. I felt cramped in any seat in the car. When she started having problems with it, I looked into Eclipse forums, and the first thing that came up was a hateful sight about all the problems it has. I kept fixing stuff for her. I was having a car towed, and when we passed a brokedown Eclipse he pointed, and said "That's the car we tow the most". I know a couple other girls with them, and one keeps asking for help fixing various things on it on her MySpace. I keep telling her to get a Mazda, and she doesn't appreciate it.
A couple of other things:
The interior is smaller than my MX-3, while the exterior is bigger. Parts are expensive, even though it's such a common car. Someone stole her marker light.
I just read this about the new ones, which has been the same story for about 10 years now:
"The Mitsubishi Eclipse offers aggressive sports car styling, but critics claim it lacks the power and agility they expect in a sports car. This contributes to an underwhelming performance in the U.S. News rankings. The Eclipse isn't such a bad deal if you just want to look the part of a speed racer - there are just other sports cars that are better. The Eclipse's sticker price undercuts most of its rivals. The car will run you about $40k + to own over five years - about $5,000 less than the Honda S2000. The Eclipse's sales numbers confirm that it has loyal buyers. Sure, sales are down about 38 percent from a year ago, but the Eclipse still sold better than the S2000 or Mazda Miata. The Eclipse just received a refresh for 2009, which means it probably won't be going anywhere soon.
Better value: Still, for cars that perform better within the mainstream sports car class, take a look at the Mazda MX-5 Miata."
As most of you know; about the only parts that go bad on our cars are the ones made by Mitsubishi (Why the ___ did they do that?!).

Whoever designed the look of it should win some kind of an award, if people still buy such a good looking piece of crap.

For the record, I like the way it looks.
So, anyway, who wants to buy a 1 owner 2001 Eclipse?
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: "Eclipse" properly named!

Post by Daninski »

Jesse you missed your calling. You should of been a Salesman,,,,,for the competition. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You ever heard of Frank Rizzo? If not, go to your favorite media download site (Limewire, etc..) and type his name, or "Jerky Boys" in with "car salesman".
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

They had a Turbo 4cyl in 2001 I thought 1999 was the last yr? But if it was a brand new 2001.. wouldnt all the problems be coverd for the most part up to 100,000 khms? I mean all new cars have problems including my g/f's brand new 2008 Astra that needs a new intake manifold.... (coverd by warranty). Where did you get $40,000??? When they were new it started at $25,000. Premium model still would only be $30,000., with the S2000 starting at $32,000 for the base model.
Yes I would pay $2000 more for the S2000 but depends if you want 2 seats or 4.
For the most part that was the worst looking Eclipse EVER!! I do like the new ones though!
I assume nobody on this forum will buy it now after that rant! :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That quote was from U.S. News. I guess the '09s, or '10s will be $40,000.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

My brother owns a dead '95 Eclipse. That car had SO many problems. It's fun when you're driving and the car cuts off... I am talking, just shuts off, everything, electrical and not, while driving.
My roommate had a '95 Eclipse as well... And he sold it to my OTHER roommate in '05

My good friend got a... 04, I think? V6 Eclipse. It couldn't turn to save it's life... And he was SO proud when he could outrun my B6 NA DOHC... The ZE tore it to pieces, of course.

My brother's Eclipse is dead, and my roommate's eclipse is dead, and my friend's eclipse is in storage... Waiting to die >: D
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Volones

Post by Volones »

That's $40,000 to own over five years, not the purchase price.
;)

I also love the looks, but will NOT allow my wife to get one.
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.

Return to “Off-Topic”