Hood extension / Angry Eye Mod

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
onlytrueromeo

Hood extension / Angry Eye Mod

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I want to know how I, someone not too experienced with body work, can make my car have this done to it: (I know this is a photoshop)

I have a regular metal hood, so I could weld to it, but I don't know how to weld yet.
I could use lots of bondo, but that would prob. crack off really quickly..
I have thought about using fiberglass, but I don't know if this would hold up well either!

How much would it cost to have a shop do this? (ballpark)

I have a few dents and such that I want to get rid of this summer. The outside of my car is in neglect! I rattle canned it quickly and it shows.

If I'm going to paint the car, I want some stuff done to it first - this being one of them!
Last edited by onlytrueromeo on May 29th, 2009, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Hood extension / Angry Eye Mod

Post by fowljesse »

I think you should go to a couple body shops, and get quotes. It could be well worth the money to have it done right. With the state of the economy, you could do some haggling.
Cjthor and I found a local Carbon Fiber guy who is supposed to be very affordable. I'm going to have a hood done this way out of Fiberglass.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I don't want to have an entire new hood made up. I'm partial to metal when it comes to body panels/parts on the outside of the car. I can fix dents but I don't like the idea of cracks too much.

You bring up a good point about the economy - I could try to haggle a bit. There is a shop right down the road from me, but I don't know how much body work they do - they're one of the best paint shops in the area (not saying much though because I live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't really a big tuner scene up here...)
v6powered

Post by v6powered »

no fiberglass please, only metal will look and will have the durability you need.
BTW i have done the photoshop you posted :D

i like it more decent, but you can make it more "angry" if you like to :)

this is my angry eye mod. In april it gets a new paint :)
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^Did you weld metal to it? How did you make it look so clean? Lots of grinding/sanding/bondo?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Can someone PS this for me on my car? I was thinking about this the other day and I thought that it would be cool to do on my car for the summer:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/ ... G_0304.jpg
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

If you can weld at all, you can just weld a piece of sheet metal there, grind it, and bondo. If you're good, you won't even need bondo.
With the way I'm going to do my hood, Fiberglass will be plenty durable.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

its honestly no that hard to do. i did mine in an afternoon. :P

Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

My car came with the top of the headlights painted, so essentially it has painted on eyelids and it looks really nice. It would be much, much easier to do it this way.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I have aftermarket projectors, and I refuse to paint them!

The hood extension is the only good looking solution IMO. Some cars look OK w/ paint or eyebrows on the headlights, but they don't "flow" as well as a hood that looks like it was made to fit.

I wish I could weld. I hafta talk to the people when I get my car done, hopefully they can do this, otherwise I will hafta go somewhere else!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

there's alot of mx-3's in the NL and Germany that have done this mod...

I had considered doing this mod but instead got CF eyebrows to put on the headlights... I think it will look just as cool :shrug:
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

It really depends on the car. Obviously you cant do this w/ a CF hood, so CF eyelids will look quite nice. I have yet to see projectors w/ eyelids or paint on them so I can't judge them, but I would never paint the outside lenses on them, they're too clear! The stock lenses are different.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

well I know that jesse painted a small strip on the civic projectors and it looked ok... I would be curious to see what it would look like on the real mx-3 projectors... :confused2:

Also I wonder if anyone has painted their mx-3 projectors to match their car?
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

onlytrueromeo wrote:I want to know how I, someone not too experienced with body work, can make my car have this done to it: (I know this is a photoshop)
Romeo, could you please re-post your pic, the original is no longer viewable. Thanks!
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Image reposted!

Return to “Appearance”