No third gear.

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
garretc16

No third gear.

Post by garretc16 »

So i just put a short shifter in my car on the weekend and it was great until yesterday. I can shift from 2nd into 3rd gear but when i try to down shift into 3rd from 4th or 5th it wont go. I have to shift back into 2nd then bring it into 3rd. It only does this when I am actually driving the car so when it is sitting it will shfit into 3rd fine. Also when i am driving i tried putting it into neutral and move the shfiter back and forth and then into 3rd and it still didnt work..... any ideas on the problem?
Mad Cow

Re: No third gear.

Post by Mad Cow »

Did you tighten the bolt and nut that holds the shifter to the linkage enough? And are you 100% sure that your clutch isn't grabbing even a bit when you do that?
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
garretc16

Post by garretc16 »

I tightened the bolt up more otnight an di still had the same problem.... and the clutch is all the way in.... not grabbing
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

That's really weird, what shifter did you get?
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

it sounds like your having the same problem as i am with my 2nd gear. i believe my synchros is messed up. i dont know how putting in a new shifter would do this though. i would put the old shifter back on to see if its the shifter thats the problem.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
garretc16

Post by garretc16 »

i got the shifter from my friend and he had it in his old mx3... and he said he never had a problem with it. i put the old shifter back in and it still does the same thing...
I am thinking a problem with the snychros.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

time for new tranny...or rebuild if you gots the $
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
garretc16

Post by garretc16 »

so i had to do my wheel bearing in the front so i went ot the junk yard and just grabbed a whole new spindle.... i put in the new spindle and every thing is great. so i took it for a drive and all of a sudden my third gear is working perfect again!!!! i dont know if it is a coincidence or what??
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Yeah it was the wheel bearing, Sometimes they cause your 3rd gear to lean out alittle bit and the only way you can shift is up not down to 3rd.

On a serious note, Its good that its working but your wheel bearing had nothing to do with it.

Return to “Transmissions”