Does anyone know of a header kit I could use on my K8?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
caruscar

Does anyone know of a header kit I could use on my K8?

Post by caruscar »

I wanted to put in a Header kit since my K8 motor is out I have read a few post but nobody really clear on what works and what mods need to be done to make this work. I have the motor out a 1.8L K8 and wanted to put in Headers for a little more power and later on still be able to use it for a Klze Engine. Please Help?
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Does anyone know of a header kit I could use on my K8?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Headers for the K8 an KL are both the same, and they both require some mods like moving the cataytic converter back. You'd be best to rest the rest of the exhaust done with a high-flow cat and 2.25/2.5" exhaust at the same time, but if you do, it'll be too large for your 1.8 and you'll end up losing power with that setup. If you keep your stock exhaust for the K8, than there's no point with headers since that'll and the stock cat will restrict it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

caruscar wrote:I wanted to put in a Header kit since my K8 motor is out I have read a few post but nobody really clear on what works and what mods need to be done to make this work. I have the motor out a 1.8L K8 and wanted to put in Headers for a little more power and later on still be able to use it for a Klze Engine. Please Help?
i have some for sale if you want... they used to me on my ze...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
caruscar

Post by caruscar »

No I plan on putting in a test pipe I live here in florida so no emssions tests. Just a stright threw all the way back 2" with a good muffler. Any body can recommend a Good Muffler that not to loud but allows good straight threw exit. I really like the sound to be quiet around low Rpm and then once I pass 4500 rpm it kits in.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

With a test pipe and headers it will be LOUD! Trust me, been there done that, it won't help what muffler you get....a cat will definitely fix that. That's all it took on mine (magnaflow high-flow) and it's pretty damn quiet now; been told it's one of the quietest.

You do that on a K8, and you'll have no low end at all. On my 2.5 crush bend, test pipe and headers with a magnaflow muffler on my ZE lost alot of low end torque...i can't imagine what it'll do to a K8.

Dual-tip mufflers are louder, but most perfer them for the stock look rather than a large 4".
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
caruscar

Post by caruscar »

So what about if I leave Stock headers and put only the Test pipe with a nice muffer instead?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Ebay Headers
Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat
Largest Cherry Bomb Resonator
Magnaflow muffler w/ 2.25->2.5" Tip
2.25" Piping, mandrel bent.

2.25 is great for a k8 or ZE as long as you're not running turbo. 2.5" Crush bent can be substituted for a cheaper cost, but it will not function as well in low-rpm range on a ZE and will KILL a K8's power. Headers won't get you much of anything on a K8, neither will a CAI or fartcan!
caruscar

Post by caruscar »

What about that pacesettler Kit? Does that get good sound?
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Ive heard pacesetter is raspy.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”