[GI] Adjustable Cam Pulleys for K series/V6 engines

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
marcdh

[GI] Adjustable Cam Pulleys for K series/V6 engines

Post by marcdh »

Status

15.02.09 - Manufacturing of 10 sets of pulleys (10x2) has started !

Deposit paid for 10 sets of pulleys (10x2)- Lead time 3-4 weeks!

I have just paid deposit for 10 sets of pulleys! You will note that this is not like previous group buys, I am fronting all the cash for this, this way you will see a complete product before you buy. The first 10 on the interested list will have first chance to buy. Those after the first 10 still have a fair chance as no doubt some people will dropout. If there is the case that we need more I will see about getting some extras made, but understand I cannot give a price for that scenario. It's a pity we're not in the situation where I can take deposits to find out how many actually want these... but the show must go on! C'mon Jeff ;)

If /when Jeff approves GB I will be asking a very minimal $30 deposit for a set of pulleys. This is purely so that you can choose your own colour annodising, otherwise people may say "I want gold" then not end up buying them and it means I have to sell on gold pulleys.

While we are waiting please think about your colour annodising. The outer toothed part will be hardened therefore will be a dark grey/black colour. The insert will be a colour of your choice:

BLUE
RED
SILVER
PURPLE
GOLD
BLACK

Genuine Interest List
marcdh
colinsmx3
Nd4SpdSe
Flyer
solo_ryder
Mr. Mx6
projectB10
fieromx3
V8KOMX3
Mooneggs

short4stuff
jkpgt96
fowljesse
cross

Why I'm doing it
After rebuilding my engine from the heads up I had my heads skimmed. As little as .015" removed from the heads has a negative effect on timing. My motives for a group buy are: to provide parts that have never been produced commercially; help out a great online community; reduce the cost for myself ;) But this is not for my own profit.

Purpose Examples
-To correct timing after a head skim - regaining perfect timing & power
-To correct each banks timing after using different thickness head gaskets
-To reduce rotating mass, reducing strain and potentially net power gains
-To have a sexy engine bay

Remember one pulley per bank does not time exhaust/intake separately, this is for adjustment of the whole bank's timing.

Specifications
-Brand new set of 2 pulleys to replace those the timing belt attaches to
-Adjust timing advance and retard 10 degrees BUT remember this is both intake and exhaust cams
-Made with HE30/6082 grade alloy with hardened teeth
-High grade adjustment bolts/hardware
-Annodised centre part, potentially in blue, red, gold, purple, sliver, black, green etc with first class quality annodising
-24 month warranty

This is an example of their work for the EVO:

Others:

The Manufacturer
http://www.cdfracing.co.uk
Here at CDF Racing we make custom and lightweight pulleys.
The main purpose for the lightweight pulleys is to remove all the heavy mass current stock pulleys have.Lightweight pulleys will put less strain on the crankshaft and will free up more bhp and torque.Our lightweight pulleys are proven to increase throttle response .
Costing
Approximate projected cost at USD 1.44355 to GBP:
2 x Adjustable Cam Pulleys
High Quality Annodising
24 month warranty
Flanges (belt retainers)
All fitting parts (bolts & washers)
Mx3.com Donation
Approx $210 plus shipping and Paypal fees (3.9% I think)

I'm striving to keep things tight here! As you can see the added flange design hasn't bumped prices much, I think my careful wording to CDF worked well :) I have to say this price is not final but certainly not far, final cost could even be less. Next step is to get some sample quotes for US and Canada, weight will be approx 1.5kg.

Rambling
I was waiting for Jeff to reply about whether I need permission for a feeler/[GI] thread, the actions of others says nope - go for it! Apologies to Jeff if this is not the right way to go about this. More info will be added when I have it. I am by know means an expert, so those who know contribute, tell me I'm wrong etc, it's all good :)

If there's little interest I'll just be getting my own set made anyway. For the money I'm saving for a group buy VS the effort of doing this it's probably not worth it, but that's not the spirit of mx-3.com!

I am now away to Spain for 3 days, hope to see some positive feedback for when I return :)

Marc

EDITED 20.01.09 - Added extra example photo
EDITED 25.01.09 - Added 24 month warranty, added Status and interested list
EDITED 04.02.09 - Status updated, Poll for go ahead created by Jeff
EDITED 04.02.09 - Status updated, spreadsheet created, awaiting shipping estimates
EDITED 11.02.09 - Status updated, DEPOSIT PAID to CDF racing for 10 pulley sets in entirety by me
EDITED 15.02.09 - Status updated, CDF racing have began manufacturing
Last edited by marcdh on February 15th, 2009, 5:56 pm, edited 14 times in total.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
colinsmx3

Re: [GI] Adjustable Cam Pulleys for K series/V6 engines

Post by colinsmx3 »

I would be interested!! PURPLE SWEET!!

PS: You need someones approval on this [GI] thread..... or it will get shut down right?? :shrug:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Man I was just wishing about these a few weeks ago...I'm totally in!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Huh. This IS interesting. Is yours an "interference" engine now? I was just fantasizing about the variable cam timing of Toyota trucks. I suppose you could adjust yours for economy, or power.
Another benefit of shaving the heads, instead of higher compression pistons is; less inertial rotating mass. You could rev really high.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

fowljesse wrote:I was just fantasizing about the variable cam timing of Toyota trucks. I suppose you could adjust yours for economy, or power.
Well, I believe it's more for shifting your powerband, but ya, depends on what you want to do, you can adjust them for whatever you wish.
fowljesse wrote:Another benefit of shaving the heads, instead of higher compression pistons is; less inertial rotating mass. You could rev really high.
Are higher-compression pistons actually heavier than the stock?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes. They have more material to make up the gap, to raise compression. I don't have any figures, but the crank is also counter balanced for them on the ZE.
It's obviously not much, but would make a difference at 9K+rpm.
I asked about shaving the heads a couple years ago, and everyone said "NO!", except a guy that had custom adjustable cam gears.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

dumb question are these for k8 or kl
can these be used for either?
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

colinsmx3 wrote:I would be interested!! PURPLE SWEET!!
PS: You need someones approval on this [GI] thread..... or it will get shut down right?? :shrug:
Good stuff Colin. I don't think you need approval to guage feasibility and interest of a potential GB. I have emailed webmaster@mx-3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and forums@mx-3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but alas no response as of yet.
Nd4SpdSe wrote:Man I was just wishing about these a few weeks ago...I'm totally in!
Ahh the perfect response :) I just hope I can keep cost down enough for you to still be in with enough buyers in the GB. The price of one set VS 10 quite close to double :( Maybe I should inform people on mx6, probetalk etc. to increase numbers.
fowljesse wrote:Is yours an "interference" engine now?
Nope Jesse, not shaved that much, thankfully!
fowljesse wrote:I asked about shaving the heads a couple years ago, and everyone said "NO!", except a guy that had custom adjustable cam gears.
Haha well that figures, with no beautiful adjustable cam gears to regain correct timing you would lose power! I think leo323 shaved his a few times, gaining a bit of comp as a result. Which is partly why he has had adjustable cam gears made I'd imagine.
boosted_bullet wrote:dumb question are these for k8 or kl can these be used for either?
I am running k8 cam gears on my KLZE. So I can say with 99.9% confidence these will fit for you and indeed any k8/KLDE/KLZE :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Added another example pic to first post :) Looks like I'll have to post around to see if any interest gathers. Otherwise it'll be a very small run, which means more cost for those involved, which means less people want to do it :( I think I'll give it to the end of the week.
View Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well I'm in regardless of the quantity/price. I want these!
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

:lol: Moar like you please! Great to have you on board, I'll PM you worst case scenario prices soon :)
View Worklog
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

These are sex. I want a set... probably in blue and black/silver
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

I think that if you post on ProbeTalk and MX-6.com, you could easily get ten to twenty people...maybe. I am just not sure if this sort of thing has been done before.
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Mr. MX6

Post by Mr. MX6 »

Mate I am interested, I'll go further and say if you require me to buy 2 sets to make up the numbers. im down for that to..
silver or blue..
Cheers...
projectB10
Supporting Member

Post by projectB10 »

count me in for a set
Eunos Presso HI-XS, KLZE, KL47 IM+TB, MX6 LSD box OEM front s/bar, Outlaw IM+TB thermalbloks, lightened K801 fly, XTD Stage 3 clutch & cover balanced to f/wheel, mbolin tranny saver , short shifter, SRD shifter bushings- H&R Springs and Koni inserts, MSpeed engine mounts, SS brake and clutch lines, PRM CAI, Whiteline rear strut and swaybar, 7x17 Konig/Maxxim Fourteen rims, and stuff.

Return to “New Product Development”