"electric supercharger"

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rodnet

"electric supercharger"

Post by rodnet »

hello, i was browsing eBay today and found and interesting intake mod claimed to help increase performance. it is essentially a electric air blower that you put in front of the intake. now the idea seems cool it would be nice to have it on a switch and be able to boost hp when you need it. but I'm thinking this product is a total gimmick / ripoff. so let me know what you guys think.
here is a an image of it Image
i found it by searching "mx3 filter" on eBay
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: "electric supercharger"

Post by Ryan »

Its a joke, we've found that before.

Although I remember one guy did install it and he said he did notice a little difference at higher speeds...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
se7en

Post by se7en »

It's a scam, don't waste your money.
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK, I have a Jesse idea. We've used venturi air movers that are very efficient. For every cu.ft. of air you put in 25 cubic feet come out. So if you have a source of compressed air you could use this venturi to ram charge your intake. Varying the air you put it varyies the total output. Now, where to get the pressurized half from. The unit I'm speaking of is the size of your VAF. How cool is that.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

It's a hairdryer.... you can make your own if you REALLY want!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
aufgehdraht

Post by aufgehdraht »

yea just get everything port and polished in stead. although i saw a video on you tube the other day where they used a leaf blower to do it on a dyno and they got like an extra ten horses but i've never seen any real documentation helping these out
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

buy it..i dare you..
ImageImageImageImage
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Ah those. They're more likely to damage your engine when a fan blade tears off.

They'll lower your overall performance, especially at the top end, by creating a blockage in the intake.

Look at the wires; they look to be around 14AWG. That means they'll carry at most 15.. maybe 20 amps. 20 amps at 12V is 240 watts.

To give you an idea, a supercharger at 6psi (ie. ~ +50HP) draws about 5000 watts.

You do the math. :)
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Daninski wrote:OK, I have a Jesse idea. We've used venturi air movers that are very efficient. For every cu.ft. of air you put in 25 cubic feet come out. So if you have a source of compressed air you could use this venturi to ram charge your intake. Varying the air you put it varyies the total output. Now, where to get the pressurized half from. The unit I'm speaking of is the size of your VAF. How cool is that.
Yoda had that on his car, just before the TB. The venturi effect can increase exhaust speed, too. I don't know enough about it, and hate doing formulas, but I would L :love: VE if someone researched it! However, it too is something that would be tuned only for a specific velocity, and may hinder flow at other RPM.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

if you guys really want electric superchargers, go find the air blowers that nascar uses to push more air to cool the braking system. Found out about these back when these electronic superchargers started to appear, and before thomas knight came out with system. Did the math and they can provide you with about 8psi. The downside, the amount of power these things take. You would have to do basically what you have to the same TK design (note you can not run the TK design but for a short time) and thats have other batteries that arnt tie to your motor power the ESC (electronic super charger). Thus making this to where its not a supercharger at all but more like a shot of n2o. More of a downside, with the amount you would spend on batteries to power (you'd have to get something like a optima to handle the fact its constantly getting drained and also you'd probably want more than 1 battery), the actual motor to push the air, and everything else, plus the fact you have to pay for power to charge the batteries constantly from your house, you would spend less just getting a n2o system and management. Since in the long run it would end up costing less for the same amount of power.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Couldn't you run a switch and relay to charge the batteries using your car, like at stop lights or at highway speed or something? When the motor isn't being overtaxed, and you need it to sit running anyway.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Mx3Kid16

Post by Mx3Kid16 »

So nobody have ever actually bought and put one those on?
CF Hood, Kenwood everything, 2.25 catback exhaust, H&R Springs, F&B Strut bars

My worklog: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=68856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good afternoon from the biggest Douch around;D
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

I'm sure plenty of suckers did.... :) Probably no one here though.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
nnblackgt

Post by nnblackgt »

yea electric superchargers dont work unless its the E-Ram those are dyno proven in import tuner to give around 20hp it says E-Ram puts out 3psi. Other than that a leaf blower would work better than a electric supercharger.
95 Probe GT "Dragonfly" KLDE - Sold , 94 Probe GT "Komugi" 5spd KLZE - Totaled , 93 MX3 "Chibi" B6 SOHC - Soon KL swap ^_^
Probetalk Forums Member and Otaku (Virginia Probe Owners Club)
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

haha this thing would have to spin pretty damn fast to create enough compression to make a difference. thats how turbos and s/c's work. they compress air into the intake. you can't just blow air into it.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”