Strange oil leak?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Strange oil leak?

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok.. Im lost.. i hope it the oil pan..

my car leaks oil.. ALOT.. after 20 mins of driving the oil is gone.

It leaks on the back of the oil pan BUT it seems to be coming from ABOVE the oil pan.

I checked the oil pump, it good to go... Where else can it leak from?

I checked the cam cork and its not leaking, checked valve cover its not leaking. Seems like if it was from somewhere where the power steering pump bolts on. Could I have a crack in the block? I did not touch the block tho and it leaks.. or dropped the engine.. im looooost.

Anyone had the engine leak from the middle seals? Im thinking it may be that.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
wytbishop

Re: Strange oil leak?

Post by wytbishop »

When the main seals leak they leak bad...but it doesn't sound like the right location. Oil Filter adapter? Did you replace the oil filter? Sometimes when putting on a new oil filter the old O-ring is stuck on the adapter and then the new O-ring is in contact with the old one and fails to seal.

Cracked block is a possibility...but too horrible to think about. Get it in the air and check everything.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Yeah i was afraid of taking it out once again :(

Ill replace the oil pan filter today, and Ill go from there.

:(
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Well, I don't know about the v6, but on my 4 cyl, the oil pressure switch is around there. I imagine that could leak pretty good.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Man this car is REALLY pissing me off... its like everything has to be hard.

I was taking off the oil pan and one bolt is REALLY long, near the flywheel and it will not fit without removing the pipes.. so Imma have to do that. Also, that leak.. i have a bad feeling its not the oil pan seal. Its comig from somewhere in the timing belt.. or somewhere around the It is ALOT of oil.. like when you leave a fauset on with a little water dripping? like that.

Im mad.. im going to have to pull engine out AGAIN.. NICE.

I want to sell it BUT I know ill regret it so I just decided to come here and vent.
-hec

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

IF it's coming from under the timing cover I'd say it's about 90% that the front main seal or the oil pump is gone.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

so yeah, i took out the crank pulley and yes.. the seal to the oil pump is gone.. I dont know why or how.. I never touched it..

It appears I need to yet AGAIN raise the engine.. and this time I guess I need to take out the crank out and everything?
-hec

thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

hgallegos915 wrote:Man this car is REALLY pissing me off... its like everything has to be hard.
I read this and had to laugh a little, but it's nothing personal.

Welcome to the joys of owning a Mazda?

Good luck with the re n re again and let us know how she goes!
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I took the engine out in just 4 hrs, well 2 hrs one day and 2 the next because I work. I wokr up early to do it.

Anywho, yeah it defenetly the main seal. Im going to replace it, and while engine is out ill change the oil pan seals.

Im not touching the transmission side seal because it new.

Water pump and gasket are new. The oil pump, the gasket was not bad, but im still touching it up with ssome industrial type sylicone.
-hec

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”