[GI] Ultimate catch cans

Do you have an MX-3 related item for sale? Post a quick note here.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

[GI] Ultimate catch cans

Post by fowljesse »

I'm making another catch can for a fellow, and thought I'd see how many people would be interested in one. Here's the details:
They are basically made out of a Stainless Steel Martini shaker, an air/ oil/ water seperator, and fittings. I will guarantee them for life.

I was looking on Ebay for catch cans, and didn't trust the $25 ones, so I did a little research. People weren't happy with them. One guy said that the bottom fell out of his, because it was glued on! The decent ones start at $50, but still don't completely seperate the oil, and they go up to >$100. So I made one myself. As far as I know, no one makes one that works as well as mine.
Here's the good things about my design:
They're light weight Stainless steel, which is better than Aluminum.
They come apart, so you can easily dump the oil out, without disturbing the lines.
They are very Swank :wink:
They have 3 layers of oil seperation:
1) Condensation - The oil falls out of colloidal suspension naturally
2) They have Copper mesh filters, which attracts oil to stick to it.
3) They have an oil/ water seperator, designed to take oil and water vapor out of pneumatic lines, for longer tool life, and better paint application.
I guarantee that you won't get a drop of oil in your IM from the PCV line with this on.

I have been using mine for a few weeks now, and I can't believe how much oil it catches! I could dump it back in, if I wanted. I use Synthetic oil, which has smaller molecules than conventional, and the line after the catch can is completely dry.
This is the one I'm using:

Here's it's guts:

You can see how I can seperate it for cleaning. It is air tight.

This is the air/ oil seperator:

Here it is in my car:

Here's the other one I made:

Here's it's guts. i haven't added the intake line on the inside yet:

I can make them in colors, and some patterns (Alligator, Snake :) )
I can make them for $60 shipped U.S., and $66 shipped to Canada.
I'm happy to answer any questions :)
Last edited by fowljesse on November 20th, 2008, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
solo_ryder

Re: [GI] Ultimate catch cans

Post by solo_ryder »

Interested.

Can you get some clearer pics of how they look in the engine bay?

Are you able to make them with just a solid metal container (no designs or dimples)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yes. The pic of the solid one didn't work. I'll put it up now. I'll take pics with an actual camera when it stops raining.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Interested, will you consider fabricating and packaging it with a bracket?
Cody
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I had thought of it.. I'll look into it. I'd need to find a place that everyone could put it. The problem is that everyone has different mods; CAI, HEI, Battery relocation, etc.. that takes up different parts of the bay.. Mine fits snugly under the TB, without brackets, or anything. I check on it alot to make sure it doesn't move or rub anything.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

thats pretty slick jesse.

I want one.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

I would like one! Just a plain one for me please :D
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

:lol: Look for more [GI] strangeness in the near future!
Oh, man, if I had the money, and equipment, I'd make some wierd stuff! Some of it would be useful :)
I was thinking... if you guys told me exactly where you want to put them, I could make brackets for each one.
I'm impressed with the interest :o I'll get permission from Jeff...
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I wold mount it by the cruise control on the passenger side of the bay or by the CAI when I install it.

I dont use cruise in my car
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Are these made out of shaker's from a bar? Neat idea.

I vent mine to atmosphere, but I'm passing this on to a couple people that might be interested.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, they're from bar shakers :) Thanks, and thanks for passing it on :D
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Its a sweet design. I want one, but I have a front end to replace at the moment...
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

how about a bracket where the charcoal canister is suppose to sit?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'll check it out :)
I did more research, and I'm stoked. There isn't anything on the market like these, and I'm looking into getting a patent. The high end catch cans (up to $300) are just boxes filled with steel wool, and aren't very servicible, if at all. My design ensures almost no restriction, even after months of use, and is completely cleanable.

By the way, these prices are for MX-3.commers only, please. I'm not making money, again, after buying the stuff, and the labor.. I should start making money on stuff :? :lol:
By another way, I'm going to have to see how much shipping is, before locking into a price (but if it affects the price, it won't be much), and I'll need y'all to donate 5% to MX-3.com, and pay the Paypal fees, if applicable (They're 2.9% U.S., and 3.9% international, IIRC). But don't worry, they will be less than $70, shipped to the U.S. and less than $80 to Canada, if my math is okay.

Return to “MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade”