NO ABS BRAKES?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
TOOgreezy

NO ABS BRAKES?

Post by TOOgreezy »

Just a quick question...

My car has no ABS brakes, today it was snowing and i noticed its pretty hard 2 drive in the snow with my car bcuz u cant press the break too much and it also spins the wheels

i think its because i also dont really have too good of tires....

i just want to know how is it for you guys that drive your mx3 in the winter?
will u be good if you get winter tires?
and also is it all mx3s that come with no ABS brakes?

thx@!
[1996 Mx-3 GS]
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: NO ABS BRAKES?

Post by Ryan »

ABS was an option, not sure for what, not on my car either
Winter tires do help a lot.
Drive slower, and more carefully. Learn your limits slowly.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
TOOgreezy

Post by TOOgreezy »

Ryan wrote:ABS was an option, not sure for what, not on my car either
Winter tires do help a lot.
Drive slower, and more carefully. Learn your limits slowly.
ya because all the other cars i owned had abs, this is a first
so far not so good lol but i plan on buyin winter tires this weekend so ill see how that goes
[1996 Mx-3 GS]
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Personally I'm not so fond of ABS... but some people like it. I know it was an option, because lots of people have complained about it, and I know we have a fuse spot for it...

edit, I know ABS actually lengthens your stopping distance, but it aids in the steering while braking... also, for people who don't know how to brake and panic then stomp the pedal, ABS is a good invention... since its not the good drivers that cause accidents ;)
Last edited by Ryan on November 20th, 2008, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

pfff, abs is overrated anyway. if you actually know how to brake, you will brake faster and better rather than abs doing all the work for you...
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

for winter driving, my mx-3 is the best car I've had. But yeah, just learn to drive in the snow. My ABS stopped working a long time ago and I'm not even going to bother fixing it. You can stop faster without it.

Also, winter tires make a HUGE difference. It's night and day between all seasons and actual winters. I'm running on Falken RT-615s right now. Let me tell you that is hilarious. Gotta get those winters mounted. :P
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
thebonestockkid

Post by thebonestockkid »

First thing I did when I got home from paying for my current car was disable the ABS. Hate it with a passion. My work truck has it and it's such garbage. It's overrated crap and anyone who has a good understanding of how to drive a car does not need it. Just take your time learning how to drive without in the snow, you'll probably like it better once you get the hang of it.

P.S. get some winter tires, don't be a part of the majority of failures I've seen on the roads the last couple of snow falls driving around with sh.tty all seasons and R compounds.
Image'97 Grenada black pearl Acura EL, JDM B18C 98spec ITR Swap. Power in Control full coilovers going in next spring. Not to mention a most unusual whining noise... coming soon.

'92 Intense blue pearl Jeep YJ, OME lift, mudders, fun.

R.I.P.
'93 Clear white GS-DE ~14.648@92.98mph, 2.234 60ft. PARTING OUT PM ME.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya, I"m the same way. I'm glad my MX-3 didn't come with it. I drove the Mx-3 and out 626 in many winters, and I've done both with all-seasons and winter tires, and winter tires made a HUGE difference. They both didn't have ABS and i could stop those cars so damn quick in the snow. You have have to learn the cars and know how to adapt quick to the weather, cause each snowfall is different, and each day snow is on the ground will be different than the last in terms of now the car handles it. I could hit the brakes hard and hold it to where i knew if I pressed it just that little bit more, the tires would lock up.

The tires are what give your car traction, or lack-there-of, so your tires will determine your traction, how fast you accelerate and how fast you can brake and turn. Of course there's a limit. You can get the best, most expensive winter tires and you still can't expect to mash the throttle or slam on your brakes. On the flip-side, having poor tires for the winter, there only so much traction they can give you, no matter how much you finess them, if they can't give you traction, they just can't... and you've experienced that first hand.

Stuff like ABS and traction control NEED traction to work. I'm not too sure if I like ABS in the truck or not, only only `used` it once (thanks so some lady who decided to come to a dead stop on the QEW because she was taking the wrong ramp), but for a 4000lb truck, ABS could be a good thing.

I do seriously LOVE driving in the snow, so much fun. My Mx-3 tho w/the ZE, even with winter tires, wasn't that much fun, just too much torque it could easilly break traction in 4th gear in town, so it just wanted to spin the tires rather than pull the car out of a corner on a nice e-brake slide. Maybe I just needed to learn better throttle control, but the ZE only ever saw 1 winter.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

abs is a pain in the rear!!!

I have had that abs blinking light forever... ive rebuilt my car's front end and didnt bother with the abs unit... it was making a noise and draining my battery.. unplugged it and that crap went away. Also by abs sensors were bad anyway they were WAY to expensive to fix , like 150 each..

I rather use that money for something helpful, plus it never snows here :/
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I've drivenm my mx-3 last few winters no problem on all season radials. Last winter we had lots of snow and there were a couple of days when I couldn't get to work cause we just had so much snow accumulated that wasn't plowed and I just couldn't go through it.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mitmaks wrote:I've drivenm my mx-3 last few winters no problem on all season radials. Last winter we had lots of snow and there were a couple of days when I couldn't get to work cause we just had so much snow accumulated that wasn't plowed and I just couldn't go through it.
Exactly! I'm not and no one is saying you can't drive in the snow with all-seasons, cause you can. But we've had the 626 and the TL be a snow plow quite a few times, and no problem with snow tires, but with less snow than that I've been stuck in the 626 quite a few times when we were running all-seasons

I could preach and preach about snow tires, and I'm being honest, i'm not trying to sell tires to make money or anything, but for snow tires, there's 2 types of people; you either use them and swear by them, or you don't use them and couldn't care less about them.

They just got snow back home a few days ago, and in that about 24hours, there were 500 reported accidents in the Niagara region alone. The large majority of people don't use winter tires, and it's made a law in Quebec for a reason.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

In my corner of the country, Toronto drivers are known for having no idea how to drive in snow.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Ryan wrote:In my corner of the country, Toronto drivers are known for having no idea how to drive in snow.
Sadly, that's pretty much the truth. I live on the top of a big hill and I always watch cars struggle to get to the top after snow. Almost all of them pretty much just floor the gas and pray they make it... eventually... most of them don't. :lol:

But then again it might be because we have the most slippery, wet snow I've ever seen in my life, and usually ice under that because everything melts one day and freezes again at night. I remember once I drove through no more than 15cm of that in my parent's ford escape in 4wd with some pretty meaty all seasons, I was slipping and sliding no matter how easy I went with the throttle, I touch it and it just spins. This was the same car with the same tires that I drove through normal snow up to the foglights and made it, in fact it was even on the same stretch of road (well really long driveway actually).
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I don't have money for snow tires :(

I also bought the best all weather tires (arguably) on the market when I got my first mx3 1.5 years ago. Goodyear Triple Tread. I've never been stuck in any winter situation, but I know how well snows work. In another couple years when I need new tires, I will be getting a 2nd set of rims and running Summer Tires / Winter tires.

Also how can I disable the stupid ABS light? It's annoying. I wouldn't mind have ABS but don't feel like its necessary, I just want the stupid light to go away! (I know I could always take out the gauges and cut the wire but I want to know if theres something easier!)
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

onlytrueromeo wrote: Also how can I disable the stupid ABS light? It's annoying. I wouldn't mind have ABS but don't feel like its necessary, I just want the stupid light to go away! (I know I could always take out the gauges and cut the wire but I want to know if theres something easier!)

Unplug the bulb? Pull the fuse? (don't know if the seccond option works)

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”