Mx-3 Rolled-On Paint Job

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Nd4SpdSe

Mx-3 Rolled-On Paint Job

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I don't know if this is a repost, but it looks like it turned out awesome.

http://www.rolledon.com/projects-f2/92- ... t-t305.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Mx-3 Rolled-On Paint Job

Post by Ryan »

Wow. This is how I SHOULD be doing my hood...

Haha, I just made an account and invited him here.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I told you guys! :lol:
I have a can of Interlux Brightside black, that I've been wanting time to brush on forever.
With a little more time buffing, it would look alot better.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

i decided to go this route as well instead of a professional paint job. haven't had the time to do it though.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

yep i tried this...haha...well i'll notify yall with my full results when i'm all done, i'm done with the first coat and its very disappointing at first, but hopefully it gets better as it goes on.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
Grimace

Post by Grimace »

Wow, I'm (semi) famous! :D

Hi guys, Ryan shot me a private msg on the Rolled-On forums and invited me over. I've also got a write-up posted at Motive Mag's forum here... http://forums.motivemag.com/zerothread?id=4125859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... but its not as in-depth as the Rolled On forums write-up (although a bit more fun to read through).

I've been lurking for a few weeks on the MX-3 forums, it's a great source of info. It's already helped me through a check-engine light I had (the infamous EGR, naturally!) and a few other minor issues.

Fowljesse is right, with more buffing the paint will shine even more. Thats the plan for the spring. We had a real warm-snap in November for about a week, when the bulk of the work was done, but it turned very cold again (as it tends to do in Toronto) about the time I started the rubbing compound/polishing/waxing stage. So those last few items I rushed through in order to not have my hands fall off due to frostbite. :D

94drumx3, the first layer never looks that hot as its so thin you can see through to the paint/primer/etc. under the topcoat, so don't panic. Also, the first layer you are still honing your technique. Are you having any particular problems with how the paint is going on? Post any Q's you might have in this thread.

Cheers guys,
Jason
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

haha that is actually GREAT to hear! i was all stoked cause i did a bunch of prep work and the first coat was almost transparent and i figured i did something wrong and was geting very upset!
i have a question...what if a fly lands on your second coat? cause i started to put a second coat on the hood and the next mornin there was a fly stuck in there.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Wetsand the fly out!
Grimace

Post by Grimace »

Yep, exactly! I got all kinds of bugs landing in my paint (I painted outside) and they would all come out after wet sanding really easily.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

Grimace wrote:Wow, I'm (semi) famous! :D

Hi guys, Ryan shot me a private msg on the Rolled-On forums and invited me over. I've also got a write-up posted at Motive Mag's forum here... http://forums.motivemag.com/zerothread?id=4125859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... but its not as in-depth as the Rolled On forums write-up (although a bit more fun to read through).

I've been lurking for a few weeks on the MX-3 forums, it's a great source of info. It's already helped me through a check-engine light I had (the infamous EGR, naturally!) and a few other minor issues.

Fowljesse is right, with more buffing the paint will shine even more. Thats the plan for the spring. We had a real warm-snap in November for about a week, when the bulk of the work was done, but it turned very cold again (as it tends to do in Toronto) about the time I started the rubbing compound/polishing/waxing stage. So those last few items I rushed through in order to not have my hands fall off due to frostbite. :D

94drumx3, the first layer never looks that hot as its so thin you can see through to the paint/primer/etc. under the topcoat, so don't panic. Also, the first layer you are still honing your technique. Are you having any particular problems with how the paint is going on? Post any Q's you might have in this thread.

Cheers guys,
Jason
how cold was it when you painted? i wanted to start but is pretty cold here in wisconsin.
94 mx3 rs
Grimace

Post by Grimace »

Between 12 and 17 degrees Celcius, the Brightside paint I used said it could be applied up to a low of 10 degrees C.

If its too cold, it could affect curing. Do you have a garage you can use, or a propane heater you can borrow?
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

i do have a garage but don't have a heater in there. wow if it worked for you in that kind of temperature then i'll try it either this weekend or next. i'll need about 2 quarts of paint?
94 mx3 rs
Grimace

Post by Grimace »

Depends - what colour are you rolling? Red takes a lot of coats for even coverage. I was doing red-on-red, and 2 quarts was enough for me to do 7 coats with a wee bit left over.

If you are changing colours, it'll take extra paint as well (especially if you are going from a dark colour to a light colour).
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

Grimace wrote:Depends - what colour are you rolling? Red takes a lot of coats for even coverage. I was doing red-on-red, and 2 quarts was enough for me to do 7 coats with a wee bit left over.

If you are changing colours, it'll take extra paint as well (especially if you are going from a dark colour to a light colour).
well my im planning on painting it white, most of my car is white, the hood is primered gray and bumpers are red.
94 mx3 rs
Grimace

Post by Grimace »

Cool. From what I've heard, white is the easiest colour to do this roller job with. I picked one of the hardest, naturally. :P

I wouldn't worry too much about the hood, as the grey isn't too far off white.

The bumpers will probably take a few additional coats than the rest of the car though. Probably the trickiest area of the car for me was the front bumper, especially around the radiator air inlet. If you can do something to avoid doing many coats on the bumpers, it will save you quite a bit of time in the end. Perhaps consider a quick coat of grey or white primer over the red. Alternatively, do a few coats on the back bumper first to see if it is going to take, you know, 20 coats or something before you touch the front bumper, and then decide if you want to do a grey/white quick primer job on the front before you start your colour coat.

Return to “Appearance”