Front and Rear strut choices?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
heavenzjai

Front and Rear strut choices?

Post by heavenzjai »

Hey guys,
My front strut is dead and I'm looking for some options. I tried looking, but other than the ZX2 strut, and KYB, those are the only things I found.

Is there a list?
916 Blk MX3 V6
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Front and Rear strut choices?

Post by fowljesse »

I have Gabriel struts for a 1993 Mazda Protege. They work awesome with my H&R springs. I assume they'd be good with stock springs, if that's what you have.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
heavenzjai

Post by heavenzjai »

yeah, stock everything right now.
916 Blk MX3 V6
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If you're just going to stick your stock springs on them I would go with the ZX2 Tokicos. They are stock replacements so they are pretty well guaranteed to work well and they can be had pretty inexpensively from oemfordparts.com.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Tokico HPs are cheap and they work pretty good

ZX2's are better

If you are keeping stock springs.. you can get KYB's, they are OEM replacement as well and have a lifetime warranty
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

i would personally stay away from tokicos, i have had a couple of friends that have had them and they went bad in 6-12 months, i have the g-2's and love them, for confirmation ask mooneggs he has them and they are blown after like 2 years.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The key with Tokicos is to avoid significant lowering. If you're gonna go way down, you'll blow up most shocks before their time.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

i have b&g's only 1.6 inches lower on my gr-2's for three years, lots of track use , maybe more then driving more then the street and they have help up really well! mooneggs has tokicos with intrax and he has like 2 blown struts in only 1-2 years, my other friend mervin with a mustang svo had tokico blues blow in 2 months of normal driving and not even lowered.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
nvidian

Post by nvidian »

hey guys just a noob question.. i recently replaced my front struts from a garage in toronto. Guy put 626 struts in my mx-3 GS. Now my car is fairly high from the front and the rear end is not tht high. Is it possible tht i can switch springs to bring it back to normal height? are 626 struts compatible with MX-3 GS? also i need some snow tires and i cant find 205 50 R15 anwhere. So I was wondering If i could use 195 60 R15 or 205 60 R15? I am not worried about my speedo being off... i just need some traction in this horrible weather ( I currently have 205 50 R15 mounted on stock GS alloy rims)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I am currently running 195/60/R15. It's a common size and they look fine. 205/60 is a pretty tall tire especially since you are currently running smaller than stock and that's a little larger than stock.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^I have the same tire and it looks fine on mine also. I've not heard of putting 626 struts on the car, but if they fit fine and the valving matches the springs, why not? Can you take some pics of the car? You say the front is higher than the back, thats not normally the case w/ mx3's, maybe you have a bad coil spring or the 626 struts won't work as well as mx3 specific struts.
nvidian

Post by nvidian »

Thanks guys for the prompt reply... ill post pics tomorow.. I will go and buy 19 60 15 rite away thanks..trueromeo are you using 195 60 15 or 205 60 15??/btw i have stock 15inch rims
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

195's on a 15x6.5 or 7" rim. I can't quite remember...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Putting on 626 struts should be the same job at the Mx-6 coilovers....I've heard that they 50% bolt-on or 90% bolt-on. Who knows what he did.

I would think he put on 323 struts rather than 626 ones...the 323's should be bolt-in
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”