klze dead again?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

klze dead again?

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I took my car to the shop after having no time to work on my car and the mechanic tells me my timing belt is bad and I could possibly need my heads rebuilt because of timing belt failure. they quoted me 600 for the timing belt and 2000 to rebuild the heads. nedless to say I told them dont bother fixing it because I can do it myself. However I find it hard to believe my timing belt went bad because it has less then 5k on it and I didnt think the heads would need rebuilt because the ZE is non interference right? Seems to me like someone was trying to get a good chunk of money out of me what do ya'll think? I will know for certain what is going down when I get some time off of work. Would I get any codes if my timing or heads were bad?
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Nd4SpdSe

Re: klze dead again?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Yep, the K-Series are non-interference, which means the valves should never touch the pistons even in the worse case scenario. You can't say 100% that it will never happen, but there's always a slim possibility that something odd may happen and they'll damage the valves.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

So what's the story, did it actually stop working and this mechanic told you this?

If you did change the timing belts, did you do the hydraulic tensioner?
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

yea I changed my belt and the pulleys when I put this motor in less than 5k ago. I had a chance to talk to the mechanic again the other day as I was picking up my car and he told me the belt was broken and that he also did a test on the function of the valves and he told me I had 40% leakage. I still haven't had time to look at it myself but before I took it in I looked at the belt and it had tension but I did notice that every now and then as I was trying to start the car sometimes the timing belt would rotate and sometimes it wouldn't.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

WOW man you are being taken by a ride.. ask him to simply put the belt on.. time iot and get out of there!! or tow it out and do it yourself.. its quite easy man..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Oh, you should read my super long story!

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... lit=dayton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might I reiterate: drove untimed for WEEKS
and the engine turned MANY MANY times with the timing belt broken off...

And what's stopping my ZE from driving? A broken control arm.
And registration. And tags. And insurance.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”