Help! Need to replace Timing Belt! What one should I buy?!?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
onlytrueromeo

Help! Need to replace Timing Belt! What one should I buy?!?

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I'm having a shop do the work for me because I just don't have the time or a garage to work on...they wanted $400 for a timing belt kit, or I think 130 for just the belt.

I know I can get cheaper online. Any brands I should get? Should I go ebay?

I normally do all this research myself but I don't have the weeks required to do it...any expertise would be nice!
solo_ryder

Re: Help! Need to replace Timing Belt! What one should I buy?!?

Post by solo_ryder »

I had a good experience with this belt and bearing set. Good stuff:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/93-97-FORD-PROBE-GT- ... otohosting

The belts are usually all built fairly well.. I have a extra belt here if you wanna buy it from me..

pm if you want, its new and in a box ready to ship. Got it from a kid that never used it.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Thats one of the ones I was looking at, but the price is so cheap I was astonished. Did you install the bearings/pulley things? And the auto tensioner...did you compress it and reuse it like in tunes67's install, or did you buy a new or refurb one like this? http://cgi.ebay.ca/93-02-MAZDA-626-2-5L ... .m20.l1116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was skeptical of the quality but the price is SO CHEAP its awesome.
Thanks solo.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I was also looking at this but it doesnt say what size water pump it is, and doesnt have the pulleys
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Thats one of the ones I was looking at, but the price is so cheap I was astonished. Did you install the bearings/pulley things? And the auto tensioner...did you compress it and reuse it like in tunes67's install, or did you buy a new or refurb one like this? http://cgi.ebay.ca/93-02-MAZDA-626-2-5L ... .m20.l1116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was skeptical of the quality but the price is SO CHEAP its awesome.
Thanks solo.
I bought the cheap belt and bearings. I used all of them and they are still running quiet in my old black car.

I got a new tensioner.. that is why I changed the belt cause my old tensioner blew haha:

onlytrueromeo wrote:I was also looking at this but it doesnt say what size water pump it is, and doesnt have the pulleys
For a water pump i measured my old one (under the pulley you can measure the diameter of the plate) and went to a local shop and bought a good one for 60 bones. I didnt wanna cheap out on a water pump.. belt can break for all I care, it wont messs up the motor, but a bad waterpump will.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I too have used that same kit from ebay... I used all the pulleys and belt and have not had any issues!

The only thing I didn't replace was the tensioner (mine was still working well).
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I didnt even replace the pulleys.

Just the belt. It was SUPER easy to do it on this car as there is only one belt to change. The valves wont get bent if it breaks. Neato.

'I used the same tensioner and even left the waterpump, engine has around 60k miles
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I got one of the cheap ebay belts and the mechanic I just took my car to said the belt was bad and my belt has less than 5k on it. But at the same time I havn't looked at it myself yet so take it how you want.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Just purchased them! 160 for all new parts is a heck of alot better than 400 for just the belt and pulleys that he quoted me. I still need a water pump, he quoted me 100 and I can get it for 60+shipping. I think I will just use theirs, they get all their stuff from NAPA so its good quality.

I don't think Im going to do the work myself, I will shell out the 300 in labor. I wish I had a garage up here...I dont feel like doing it in my driveway will be a good idea. (Esp. w/ finals coming up in a month)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

$300 for labour is cheap. I've priced labour out and the average is $500+. It's not a fun job.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Ya, if they stick to their word at 300 or so I will be happy. I don't know if theyre giving me a break or if its because theyre cheaper than other places. I def. give them business though as I send all my friends there.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”