[GI] Rigid Spherical Sway Bar End Links

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
wytbishop

[GI] Rigid Spherical Sway Bar End Links

Post by wytbishop »

Gauging interest on sway bar end links. I received samples of the end links that I plan to use today. These are they...

I stuck some hardware in 'em just to give you the basic look. For the front, because it's such a short link, the only way to make it work is with a male/female pair like the picture. Even at that they have to be shortened to achieve the length of the stock end links. For the rear, a center tube with threaded adapters will be made and a male spherical end will thread into each end of the tube.

I have already ordered spacers and I have to get tube adapters. I may be able to source them in Western Canada, but if not I know a few places in the US I can get them. I am also waiting on a quote for the tubing required to make the links.

Tubing is available locally and I should be able to get everything in pretty short order. I imagine once I have a list of buyers I can deliver in a few weeks.

I estimate that the front set will be about $40 and the rear set will be about $75. I will sell these at cost +15% because there is some welding on the rear links and some cutting on the fronts and there will be a small donation to the site on each sale. I will have exact cost numbers in a few days. I will not make any money from these.

Let me know if you're interested so I know how much to buy.

The List:

tehbrookzorz
fowwuljesse
mx-3_4evr
onlytrueromeo
mooneggs
Nd4SpdSE
Flyer
Hotsiit
rece
RS_OBD'oh_2
Last edited by wytbishop on September 23rd, 2008, 12:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
tehbrookzorz

Re: [GI] Rigid Spherical Sway Bar End Links

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I.
Cody
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm new to this.. FWD suspension stuff..
What advantage will these have? I'm at the point of final tweaking of my suspension, and am interested in these.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

I'll take fronts and backs please :D Thanks!
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I'd say that the main advantages are 1) Adjustability, 2) Serviceability - the stock units cannot be repaired and are a whooore (pronounced "who - er") to replace and 3) because there are no rubber parts, the response is immediate and precise. When the compressed arm goes up, it immediately pulls the opposite arm up with it.

I'm not an expert at all, but it's a pretty common upgrade for any kind of racing and they just seemed like they would be better than stock...so I figured out how to get em.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Because it's metal on metal, what is the expected life going to be on these? There shouldnt be any clunking because it doesn't allow room for play, but the increased stresses on the metal will definitely play a part in wear. What are they made out of? Do you have the working load numbers and max load numbers for the spherical bearings? I would think each needs to have at least a 500lb working load, right?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Sounds good to me.
I'm in.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Because it's metal on metal, what is the expected life going to be on these? There shouldnt be any clunking because it doesn't allow room for play, but the increased stresses on the metal will definitely play a part in wear. What are they made out of? Do you have the working load numbers and max load numbers for the spherical bearings? I would think each needs to have at least a 500lb working load, right?
Corrosion aside I expect them to last for a very long time. They are Nickle plated and the bearing is lined with a self lubricating teflon liner which is not likely to ever wear out. The rated load is over 3600lbs. So long as they're tight and correctly installed they will not damage anything. The ear to which the link is bolted on the control arm is designed to take the load regardless of the style of link which connects it to the sway bar. If you look at your stock links, there is no rubber between the stud nad the control arm. The rubberized parts are in the knuckle.

I will send an email to Jeff today and get the necessary permissions. I will be placing my order with the rod end supplier at the end of next week so any of you who wants in should speak up soon.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Nice. Teflon will be a nice lubrication surface. It's hard to tell these things just from pics :-D 3600lb's is definitely the factor of safety I was looking for. Stronger the better so I can have a wicked DD that I can beat on :) Got my money today, will be clearing tomorrow. Can't wait to purchase these and the bushings!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

fowljesse wrote:Sounds good to me.
I'm in.
I would be in as well for fronts and rears... you could ship ours together :)
Last edited by Mooneggs on September 22nd, 2008, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I was expecting to do about 5 sets. With the people who have responded thats 6 including myself so we're definitely on. As soon as I get a reply from Jeff I will post the GB thread and PM everyone with payment information.

The list is still open though. I can make as many as needed.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I need mine wrapped in Carbon Fiber, and then covered in Smoked Plexiglass.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well obviously. I was going to go with black plexi...but there's all these little scratches.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Holy cow how many BB am I going to have get in at once! I think the last BB I was in was for the HVAC panel...and that was a while ago. Enough of these BB so I can get parts to actually fix my car and get it running rather than buying parts that doesn't fix it, lol.

Count me in
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on September 19th, 2008, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Holy cow how many BB [am] I going to have get in at once!
But don't you love it!?
Cody

Return to “New Product Development”